Empress 8/5/06 Bermuda. Should I/can I bring bottled water??

HI everyone

We are cruising to Bermuda on the Empress of the Seas on August 5th out of Philly. We drink alot of water and are conserned about the water on the ship. We are on a tight budget so buying bottled water on the ship is out of the question.

Can I bring a case of water onboard the ship?? If so how much? I would like to bring about two cases. If we did bring water and ran out, I heard that the Empress had soda cards. What exactally is that?? And lastly, how did you like the quality of the water on the ship? We have a picky 10 y/o and I want to make sure he is well hydrated. Thanks!! :)

I've heard of people checking through cases of water with their luggage (or packing it in a rolling duffle bag). The ship's water is pretty good - I usually bring a few bottles and then refill them. Also, bring a couple of sports bottles and fill them with iced tea or lemonade in the Windjammer (these drinks are included). You can also fill some with juice when it is free at breakfast and keep it in your room fridge or add ice. Milk, of course, is also included in all meals.

The soda card ($6 per day for adults, $4 for children - plus 15% gratuity) must be purchased for the entire trip, not per day. It is good for fountain sodas and juice only (no cans, no bottled water). It is a sticker affixed to your seapass card. It is only worth getting if you drink at least 4 sodas per day (way too much for a child IMO). If you are moderate soda drinkers, you are much better of buying cans as you want them ($1.50 + gratuity).

We also bring several 24 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi since DH does not drink Coke products.

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about the water on the ship, and I frankly find the whole idea of paying for bottled water when the available tap water is perfectly fine, to be a bit silly. But then I think the same about buying bottled water at home (have you ever checked the label on those bottles of water and noticed how many list as their source, some municipal water system?) However, whether you are doing it for health reasons or because of personal preference, there is nothing to keep you from bringing bottled water onboard with you (two cases of the stuff might be a bit hard to handle when you also have luggage to deal with), buying some while you are onboard, or buying more when you stop in Bermuda. :)

I think we are going to bring some caffeine free Pepsi, being they only have Coke products.

I was wondering... I own a cooler on wheels, am I allowed to bring it onboard as a carry-on?? It would also be great for the beach because the Misses is a diabetic and it could keep her insulin cool. If anyone knows let us know please!!

I think we are going to bring some caffeine free Pepsi, being they only have Coke products.

I was wondering... I own a cooler on wheels, am I allowed to bring it onboard as a carry-on?? It would also be great for the beach because the Misses is a diabetic and it could keep her insulin cool. If anyone knows let us know please!!

If it can fit through the security Xray machine, there is probably no reason why you could not, especially if you need something to refrigerate the insulin supply. My wife sometimes brings caffeine free Diet Coke® onboard because although the ship carries Coke products it usually does not have caffeine free diet Coke.

Archived