Live from Amerisuites Ft. Lauderdale

maggieworkman

I'm assuming there are taxis more than happy to wait for cruise ships to dock at port. Is this the case, or should you call ahead?

I wouldn't worry about taxicab availability at the port. With half a dozen to a dozen cruiseships at the port every weekend of the year, taxis are quite plentiful. ;)

we were booked for 12/8 for a 2wk cruise. when i booked they said free parking. i called today & she confirmed the $12 per day so we canceled. why would anyone pay them $12 & be shuttled to the port when u could have your car there & not have to wait for a shuttle. we will stay somewhere else cheaper.

We stayed at the Amerisuites 2 years ago and personally we felt it was a dump thus last year we opted to stay at the Riverside on St. Olas Blvd. What a difference and why not start off your vacation off pleasantly.

Is the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd near the pier and also to shopping?

Do you feel it is as convenient as 17th Street? Any thoughts on this hotel would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:)

Maggie,

Thanks so much for the Amerisuites info. We have rooms booked in Jan (my idea). After looking at the pictures and reading your comments, I think we will be just fine. Great location and really good price. It certainly is a good choice for one night pre-cruise. You have made me feel so much better for selecting this hotel!

We stayed in the Amerisuites prior to a 4/29 Princess cruise, and for the price, it can't be beat. Yes, the paint is peeling and it is tired, but at least when I checked, it was $100 to $200 cheaper than anywhere else, especially for *three* people. And I personally would rather spend the extra money on the cruise...

Another plus: DelRio Tex Mex restaurant next door. Abundant good food and excellent (cruise like<G>) service. Also the price is right. I would return there no matter where I stayed.

el henry

the Riverside hotel is right in the scene of things. Las Olas Blvd is a strip with shops, plenty of restaurants, etc. You also can walk along the Riverwalk with Plenty of activity. There are watertaxis that take you to the shopping mall etc. I think I paid $150 a night at the Riverside and I paid the same at the Amerisuites the year before. There are outside cafes, etc. We will always stay there. It was extremely pleasant to start the cruise off with a great pre cruise stay. It is not much more than the Amerisuites, but you won't be sorry you booked it. From our window we could see the port and our ship. They don't have a shuttle service to the port but it cost us $10 for a taxi. I found the Amerisuites to be dungy and dirty for the price they wanted.

So sad that they are charging nearly $200.00 a night. For that price I would want something much more kept up. It is a dump. Paint is peeling, mold in the bathroom, etc. I didn't stay long enough, however, I was expecting to see some tiny visitors there. I am not exaggerating and perhaps it was the room we got, but it was really bad. Then the next year we moved to the Riverside and wow - for the same price to be where the action is and the hotel is gorgeous. Just be careful booking with Amerisuites on 17th.

I booked Amerisuites online for one night for our January 19, 2007. I booked through AAA Carolinas for $146 which includes taxes simply because it is such a handy location. My plan is to watch for next year's pricing to appear on Valuetrips (which is usually October) and see if I can get a better rate. I stayed at this hotel last year and I thought it was OK and we loved the fact that we got free parking but this year we will be flying in so the new cost for parking does not affect us. Other years I have stayed at the Renaissance and the Embassy Suites. Now both of these places are far superior but they cost too much money. I think in general hotels are going sky high in Ft Lauderdale. Even Priceline does not have the inventory it has had in past years.

Archived