Live from Amerisuites Ft. Lauderdale

maggieworkman

We checked into the Amerisuites Ft. Lauderdale today. I got it for the ValueTrips rate of $69. For this price it isn't bad. It is more than fine for one night. They picked my mom up from the airport with the shuttle. When she got her luggage, she just called the hotel from the kiosk and they came and picked her up in a few minutes. The shuttle driver gave her the rundown of hotel - we can keep the car here while cruising thus saving us the $12 per day at the port to park & they will pick us up at the port when we get back. There is a nice area for the breakfast - we will see how it is in the morning. Right now they have coffee and tea out.

The room is ok. It needs a little updating. The bathroom paint is peeling off of the wall. It has wireless internet for free. The furniture seems adequate. We will try out the pullout couch tonight for my mom, so I will report back on that.

No construction yet that I can see.

We are off to see the water taxi. I will report back later.

Maggie

Thanks, Maggie. We stayed at the Amerisuites in Plantation, Florida and found it to be perfectly fine for the money, although we didn't get it on Valuetrips, but it worked out fine and the staff was very accomodating.

Thanks for reporting in Maggie.

Our family has about 8 rooms booked for the fall and I was a little nervous since it was my idea (the price is what sold everyone).

Lynn

Good to know. I was there twice... Once in June and once in July of last summer. The deeper into summer it got, the less appealing i found it. It was adequate, and I got it cheap through priceline, but if I were paying full price, I would look elsewhere... at least in the dead of summer, anyways!!

A~

• 2 weeks later...

I asked about renovations and they said the renovations would probably start at the beginning of the year.

The shuttle driver said they would do the renovations floor by floor and close off that floor from guests while they were doing the renovations.

Maggie

I read that your mother used the shuttle from the airport, did you use the shuttle to the port and if so how was it. Do you have to sign up or just turn up in the lobby.

We are booked there for Dec 22 for $75 through ValueTrips (cann't beat the price). There will be 5 adults. I had booked 1 room for the 5 of us. When I had heard about the renovations, I booked another room encase the sofabed was removed leaving only 2 beds. Did you use the sofabed? Is there enough room for 5. I am wondering if I should keep the extra room for the space. Would like your opinion since you have been there.

How was the breakfast? Would you book this hotel again.

We did take the shuttle to the port. A shuttle "van" picked my mom up from the airport (we drove). But a little shuttle "bus" took us to the pier. It was first come first serve in the morning. But there wasn't anyone else going when we went. We left around 11 am. They dropped us off right at the area where the porter picks up your bags from the ship.

The breakfast buffet was nice and very large. It was more than just a continental breakfast. They had waffles and other stuff.

We had 5 in our room. My mom slept on the sofa. She didn't want to bother pulling the sofa bed out so she just slept on the couch part. There was plenty of room. The room was actually very big.

Would we stay here again? Yes, especialy for the price. It was just very convenient. Since we were able to leave our van there while we cruised, the savings from not having to pay for parking at the pier pretty much paid for the hotel room. Plus the breakfast for 5 saved us money too. We did have to tip the shuttle driver both ways, so figure that in too. As I said before, to US the room was adequate for an overnight stay. Yes, there was pealing paint and the room looked a little "tired", but it wasn't a big deal to us. If you want a fancy, new hotel, then this might not be the place. But if you just want a clean room, breakfast, shuttle, place to park you car, this was great.

I had heard the hotel staff was rude. I intereacted with them a lot because I asked about the water taxi. I also had to switch credit cards on the room since my mom checked in first and had to put down her credit card to check in, but I wanted to pay for the room. Anyway, they weren't rude, but they weren't overly friendly either. Just kind of matter-of-fact.

Maggie

I was wondering if you would book again because I cann't get the Valuetrips price on our return Dec 28. The rate for that night is $189 + taxes (best rate) from Amerisuites' site. I have booked the Embassy Suite for Dec 28 at $198.99 + taxes (AAA) which will hold 6, also. Since I have never stayed at either hotel, it is hard to decide if I should cancel Embassy Suites and go with the Amerisuites.

I haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites, so can't really compare. But it looked like a nicer hotel from the outside. If the price were the same I would be tempted by the Embassy Suites. Although I have heard that they do not let you park there while you cruise anymore. I am not sure if that is important to you or not?? I also can't say if Embassy Suites has an airport shuttle or a port shuttle. If that is an important factor, you might want to look into that. But from what I have read on these boards, I would choose the Embassy Suites IF IT WERE THE SAME PRICE AS AMERISUITES. IF you can get the cheaper Value Trips rate for Amerisuites, I would choose that one.

I personally had both hotels reserved and canceled the Embassy Suites at the last minute. The Amerisuites was costing me $69 while Embassy Suites was more like $169. I couldn't justify the extra $100.

Maggie

Thanks for the information.

I have Amersuites booked for our pre cruise at $75 with Valuetrips. I also have Embassy Suites booked ($198) pre cruise and will cancel. Cann't beat that price with ValueTrips. ValueTrips doesn't have their special for our post cruise hotel date Dec 28. I have Embassy Suites booked for Dec 28 at $198. Embassy Suites has a shuttle from hotel to airport, we don't need parking.

Thanks for the update on Amerisuites. We have two rooms booked through valuetrips for $75 each. When I called about connecting the rooms they were very accomodating. I also verified that they would pick up those in our party flying at the airport, take all of us to the port and allow us to park on-site for the duration of the cruise. Even if the room is a bit worn, granting these requests is a real bonus. I cancelled the rooms we had first reserved at extended stay after a few posts that were not encouraging.

Just a note of thanks. I have 3 rooms booked for December and also wondered about this place. Got a great deal through Value trips. Thank you for taking the time to post while traveling. Seeing the pix and hearing the review knowing you were actually there is such a help. The place will be perfect for our group.

Thanks again.

We stayed at this Amerisuites the night before our Christmas cruise, and plan to stay there again this year (if I can get reservations for the Value rate). :) We left our car parked right out in front of this hotel for the duration of our cruise, without any additional charge. We were pleased at the shopping and restaurants available within walking distance! There was also a drugstore, Publix, and a very nice liquor store :rolleyes: , just steps away. The hotel staff were most accomodating. Not only did their shuttle take us to the pier, but they also picked us up and brought us back after the cruise.

We stayed at Amerisuites three years ago and it was tired, but clean. This year we inquired for 1/13 and the rate for 10 rooms was $189. Nope, not worth it; Hyatt is dragging their heels on renovating and staff seems to know zero, zip on refurbishing. It is a great location, I'll say that. Now Extended Stay: again a great location (stayed last Dec. 10) This was after the hurricane and many contractors were staying there. We had to wait hours for a room and they didn't seem to care at all. No shuttle at ESA, but we always took a cab the short distance to the pier.

bluefintuna-

How did you like the Extended Sleep. Where is in locate to the Amerisuites. Could it sleep 5. Did it have a pool. We are staying at the

Amerisuites (through Valuetrips) arriving and have reservations at Embassy Suites post cruise. There are 5 adults. If we need 2 rooms the Embassy Suites works out cheaper.

A "heads up" to all those who are planning to stay and leave their car on Amerisuites property during their cruise as we did last year, and were planning to do again this year. I read on one the message boards that they are charging for parking, so I called to confirm this, and yes, there is now $12/day + tax fee being charged.

...yes, there is now $12/day + tax fee being charged.

For the same price you can park in the Port Everglades covered garages with 24 hour police patrol and a security checkpoint to get in and out of the port. ;)

I am looking at that hotel for November 24th before our cruise on the Star. I liked the idea of having a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, then the hotel to the port. How late does the shuttle run until? We aren't planning on getting in until somewhere between 10pm and 1am. Also, I'm assuming there are taxis more than happy to wait for cruise ships to dock at port. Is this the case, or should you call ahead?

Archived