Small plane flightseeing jitters

TudorSue

For those of you who have done Misty Fjords flightseeing, please tell me what you think. I'd love to see the sights but have reservations about flying on a 6-8 seater plane. I don't have a problem flying commercially...but I do have issues with vertigo in wide open high places, such as being at the edge of the Grand Canyon or traveling by car on narrow windy mountain roads (such as Pacific Coast Highway or Highway 9 in through Zion Park.)

Suggestions or observations based on your own experiences? Thanks very much from this Alaska first-timer (September 2006 Zaandam cruise).

TudorSue,

I have issues with open air heights - being on a ladder putting up Christmas lights makes me very unsettled yet flying across the Atlantic gives me no problems. Last July was our 3rd cruise to Alaska with a son who was finally old enough to do all excursions including 2 floatplanes. We scheduled our excursions for early afternoon and a glass of wine at lunch helped a bunch!!!!! But the scenery once we were up in the air was so spectacular that it really just took my mind off of my fears. It is worth all the worry and fear.

MamaQuack

I have never been air sick or sea sick in my life until I did the float plane in Ketchikan. My stomach felt very sick during the entire flight - I spoke with the other 4 people on my plane and they said they felt the same way. Thankfully none of us got too sick but I was quessy the entire time. I couldn't wait to land. I doubt I will ever go on this excursion again.

On the other hand, I have flown on many commercial planes that have 13 passengers and never had a problem doing that.

Only you can decide. I have flown with people who were just miserable and time essentially stood still for them, no matter how excellent the scenery is.

I fly all the time in small planes, my husband is a private pilot with very generous flying time with a plane he maintains in a partnership. It's like taking a bus for me. But you need to be aware of your comfort level. It's tough to make recommendations for others who already have concerns.

TudorSue,

If you are just having anticipatory anxiety then maybe a little Xanax would help you - just takes the edge off. Talk to your doctor. On our Juneau floatplane we had a man who was literally as white as a sheet and in a full body sweat. He mentioned that he had forgotten his Xanax. Three other passengers immediately produced prescription bottles and offered him one:D It was so funny but it also just reminded us that we all have little fears to deal with. For me that little glass of wine helped and I was so glad I went - the views were just incredible.

Good luck.

MamaQuack

TudorSue,

If you are just having anticipatory anxiety then maybe a little Xanax would help you - just takes the edge off. Talk to your doctor. On our Juneau floatplane we had a man who was literally as white as a sheet and in a full body sweat. He mentioned that he had forgotten his Xanax. Three other passengers immediately produced prescription bottles and offered him one:D It was so funny but it also just reminded us that we all have little fears to deal with. For me that little glass of wine helped and I was so glad I went - the views were just incredible.

Good luck.

MamaQuack

As only my opinion. Being Xanax is a controlled drug and those offers had no idea if he was drug dependent- allergic etc. Why would they ever "share" prescription drugs???

I am super-chicken but the floatplane for Neets Creek Bear Watching Adventure is my all time favorite shore excursion. I am so glad I did not back out of boarding that plane! We are going back this year and taking our two grandsons ages 10 & 12 to Anan Creek.

If looking down bothers you, perhaps you can watch the scenery looking straight out the window, rather than down. I also have gotten seasick in really rough waters - but had no problem on this flight. It's incredible how easy the take off and landing are in a float plane.

I'd say, don't push yourself to do it if you are petrified at the thougt. If you are only a little aprehensive, don't pass this opportunity to view some of God's most beautiful work.

I overcame a serious fear of flying phobia after years of therapy. My fear was so severe I would have an immediate panic attack if I even heard the word airplaine! Since overcoming this fear about 5 years ago, I assist in a local panic and anxiety 15 week program each year.

While this does not in any way qualify me as an expert, based on my own experiences and my involvement in this program, I would suggest that if you are really terrified at the thought of flying the small plane, you would be best off to find another exciting excursion; However, if you are just a little nervous since you have never been on that type of plane before, I believe once you are up in the air and see the incredible sights, you will be fine.

I would also suggest that you may want to find a small plane flight school in your area and try a short flight as a practice run....

Good luck,

Larry

I took a floatplane tour of the Misty Fjords last year on our Alaskan cruise. I was the only one in our group of 6 brave enough to go. I'm really glad I did. It's my best memory of the cruise. However, if you get car sick easily, like when reading a book, you may want to limit the number of pictures you take and/or use of bonoculars. I concentrated on my camera to take a lot of pictures and felt "carsick" towards the end of the flight. I ended up missing the rest of Ketchikan because I had to go back to the ship to lie down. It was worth it though!

The good news is I'm definitely not terrified, but more in the anticipatory anxiety category...and probably b/c I've never done this before. (Heck, this is my first cruise too but I survived a stomach-churning ferry crossing between Cozumel and Cancun without getting seasick when lots of passengers did.)

Larry F - thanks for the suggestion about a test-flight locally. I got to thinking about this myself this afternoon.

TudorSue: I think BQ has a valid point. Only you can decide for yourself what you'll be comfortable with doing on a shore excursion.

We did the floatplane in Ketchikan with Michelle, from Island Wings. She is a wonderful pilot and I would highly recommend her to anyone. She flies all year long in Ketchikan, and really knows her stuff. Her floatplane is maintained extremely well. Her tour is better than the ship's tour, and personally, I really trust her. You do wear headphones and listen to wonderful music while you fly which is very calming.

It was the highlight of our trip!

I overcame a serious fear of flying phobia after years of therapy. My fear was so severe I would have an immediate panic attack if I even heard the word airplaine! Since overcoming this fear about 5 years ago, I assist in a local panic and anxiety 15 week program each year.

While this does not in any way qualify me as an expert, based on my own experiences and my involvement in this program, I would suggest that if you are really terrified at the thought of flying the small plane, you would be best off to find another exciting excursion; However, if you are just a little nervous since you have never been on that type of plane before, I believe once you are up in the air and see the incredible sights, you will be fine.

I would also suggest that you may want to find a small plane flight school in your area and try a short flight as a practice run....

Good luck,

Larry

These fearful flyer programs have a very good track record. My husband has been a consult on the mechanical aspect of flying for several years with a former airline program- now independent.

Archived