Parking in Red Hook

bythehex

We're considering booking a cruise on the Crown Princess leaving from Red Hook (Brooklyn). But first, my husband wants to know about parking.

Does anyone know if there is a parking facility there, and if so how much does it cost? Is it a place where you have to call first and reserve a spot, or is it first come first served? How big is it, and if it gets filled up are there any alternatives?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate if anyone can answer at least some of them.

Thanks in advance!

Sharon:)

Hi Sharon,

There are two lots, one is smaller and closer to the pier entrance. The otheris much larger and they provide shuttle to the pier. The whole pier complex is gated and looks very secure. Parking is $16-$18 per day(I think)

Cheri

Sharon,

Cruisers on the first sailing reported paying $164 to park for the 9 days. I heard there are 500 parking spaces and that there are also city garages in the area that could be used in the event of overflow (at whatever their rates are) - but this has not been necessary thus far.

This breaks down as follows:

$16 * 9 = $144

$144 x 1.1375 (13.75% tax rate) = $163.80. Rounded to $164 for convenience...

Brian

Thank you all for the information on the parking. $164 is a bit more than we were hoping to spend for parking. We're going to check into some alternatives. I appreciate all the help.

Sharon

It's interesting that people are reporting the $164 charge ($16 per day plus tax, as explained above :)) but the terminal's own website says $18. :confused:

That's a big part of why we're using a shuttle - quite a bit cheaper than 9 x $18 = $162 x 1.1375 = $184, but only a little cheaper than $164.

Interesting..................

Coming from CT in September, on a Saturday. What would be some of my alternative ways of getting to the pier, parking other places and shuttling in etc. Any help would be appreciated.....John

Saturday in September shouldn't be too bad. Enfield is near Hartford if I remember correctly. Personally I would take 91 south and get on the Merritt and take it to the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Whitestone Bridge to the LIE expressway towards Manhattan then the BQE to Brooklyn to the Atlantic Avenue exit should be under 2 hours. I don't know of any alternative to parking at the terminal that makes sense. Someone said there is an alternate lot with a shuttle but since the one by the pier has never been full I haven't see it used and don't know where it is.

We were on the Crown's Inaugural sailing. We paid $164 for the nine day sailing. Other CC people also reported paying $164. We used our credit card.

We felt it was very worthwhile. The parking is very close to the terminal. The car was fine when we returned. We were happy. There are plenty of spaces.

2455891710014024534KdEIeL_th.jpg 2957918030014024534eQKNRv_th.jpg

Visited last Friday. Paid $19 for the day.

Where the 9 day cruise fee is approx. $164.

You can pay using a credit card.

No problem getting a space - it is first come first serve. We arrived early when the ship was still disembarking & also embarking plus those of us there for the luncheon. In the photo you can see the open spaces.

John,

I drove in from CT as well. Took the Merritt, but, a different route than mentioned by Sid - avoiding the Whitestone & LIE.

Timing wise I think it's probably the same, but, I was driving in on a work day & wanted to avoid the LIE.

It takes you along the Merritt, Hutch, Saw Mill, Henry Hudson Parkways to the West Side Hwy.

You go as if you are going to the Manhattan Piers using 9A (West Side Hwy) - to the Battery Tunnel - Brooklyn - Hamilton Ave - Summit - Inlay St.

SunPrincess,

would you mind filling me in on what time you arrived at the pier and then how long before you were onboard?

thanks,

donna

Also getting to the parking spaces at the time you did were the lines very long? I heard it was a disaster, but maybe not at the time you arrived.

It's interesting that people are reporting the $164 charge ($16 per day plus tax, as explained above :)) but the terminal's own website says $18. :confused:

That's a big part of why we're using a shuttle - quite a bit cheaper than 9 x $18 = $162 x 1.1375 = $184, but only a little cheaper than $164.

Interesting..................

Well that and we can enjoy the ride, as opposed to having me navigate, shudder. :D

SunPrincess,

would you mind filling me in on what time you arrived at the pier and then how long before you were onboard?

thanks,

donna

Also getting to the parking spaces at the time you did were the lines very long? I heard it was a disaster, but maybe not at the time you arrived.

HI Donna,

We arrived to Red Hook approx. 10am. Yes, there was a single lane of cars to approach the actual terminal area. I will say it took us approx. 20-30 minutes to crawl thru. The great part is you get to see the ship while doing this and the anticipation builds :)

Of course due to the fact we made record time with the drive in we got there early & the ship was in the busiest time of disembarkation. It was not chaos by any means, but, you had to wait in the lane of traffic to proceed. Most cars were picking up at this time, but, there were some also there for the luncheon & then others to embark.

Once we got into the terminal we were one of the first to sign-in for the luncheon. Boarding was set for 11:30 & we sat waiting in the terminal.

They do have soda & snack machines along with bathrooms.

At 11:30 sharp we were onboard. Pax embarking for the cruise were allowed to board alittle later than we did.

The Crown is a beauty. Hope you enjoy her as I did. I look forward to going back ;)

We found the terminal easily with the directions from www.nycruiseterminal.com

My husband dropped the luggage & me off at the terminal front door at 12 Noon. A porter immediately took the luggage.

I waited inside the terminal's front door.

My dh got a ticket from a machine to enter the parking lot. He parked a very short distance away. He met me, and we got on the line. By 12:30 P.M., we were boarding the Crown.

Upon our return, we paid for the parking with a credit card in a machine at the terminal exit doors. It was $164 for the nine day cruise.

We wheeled our luggage the very short distance to our car. Plenty of empty spaces. We showed the paid receipt to an attendant at the gate, and the gate went up so we could leave.

A pleasure!

Upon our return, we paid for the parking with a credit card in a machine at the terminal exit doors. It was $164 for the nine day cruise.

We wheeled our luggage the very short distance to our car. Plenty of empty spaces. We showed the paid receipt to an attendant at the gate, and the gate went up so we could leave.

A pleasure!

Can you pay with cash as well or only credit/debit cards?

Archived