strong illegal smell on mariner last week

As far as I know, not unless you're in an enclosed space smelling it.

...as for the poster who talked about "lighten up,"

Marijuana and other illicit drugs are illegal on the ships, and frankly, to take a chance buying it in a foreign country (and risk getting arrested and being put in a jail system where your passport means nothing) and trying to sneak it on the ship is really risky and kinda stupid. It has nothing to do with being uptight, that's for sure.

So if I understand your post, its safer and best to buy it in the good 'ole U S of A? Buy American and not Foreign....?:eek:

it is surprising though how many are able to get pot on the ship and not be caught,

I know how they get it on without being caught. They smuggle it on right next to the booze.:D

I have to laugh at this thread a little. Having lived in the SF Bay Area for over 50 years, going to college in the late 60's, and smelling pot all that time pretty much off and on, AND having flushed plenty of it down my very own toilet having found it in older DS's room and backpack (ah, yes, those were the days......),

I would take being on a cruise ship with potheads ANY day over cokeheads.

DH worked for a coke user once. The man was really paranoid, and unfortunately od'd one Saturday night and had a heart attack at age 40.

I don't like the smell myself, and I would also complain if it permeated my room. Hallways are public areas, but my cabin is MY space for the duration.

I sincerely hope we don't have a rash of "OMG, do I have to take air freshener on my cruise with me!!!!" threads now.:D

I'm going to be accused of being evil for this comment, but I'm about to go on a cruise, so I won't read the mean comments... The only problem I would have with high people on a ship is that they eat all the good food (runduckzoom).

Most cruises we've been on we smell a little pot. Understandable that some would not like the smell, just as I dislike cigarette smokers' smoke wafting into my balcony cabin ( not to mention the sounds of early morning hacking). I imagine since the smell was coming from an inside cabin and the poster was in a balcony cabin, the draft outward from the ship could have made it worse (you know how when you sometimes open your door with the balcony door open and the curtains go flying out.)

I try to accomodate most of my cruisemates. One thing I have noticed is that except for the occasional smell, pot smokers tend to keep there chosen poison private. Now obnoxiuos drunks are an other issue...

Hey, Prada Gal, I was just about to answer the "what is a deadhead" question when I saw you had already done so. Since I am a sixty-something grandmother from New England, I just thought you should know that some of us on the East coast are somewhat enlightened!! Actually, I got a laugh out of your post. The person who asked the question is probably VERY young or maybe VERY old or maybe not a music fan. Have a great summer!

The Grateful Dead San Fran.

JerryGarcia. The Height. Deadheads followed the Dead around the country.I guess we are a little more enlightened in Cali;) .

By the way....it i s "The Haight"

Maybe the person who asked the question was born in the 1980's...More "enlightened in CA"???? To what? To Whom? I don't think so....

As far as illegality (sp?) goes...I think that the illegal, minor, drinkers on board are more of a problem than the pot smokers. I honestly can say that I haven't smelled much pot onboard. But I have stepped on drunk teenagers on the stairs.

I have learned that I am going to go on a cruise to Jamaica in December, Get high of the smell of pot comming from the cabin down the hall, Go drink a Margarita and then get the Munchies and go to the Midnight Buffet :p I think that covers it :D LOL Oh and Re-live the deadhead days :cool:

Jamaica here we come !!!;)

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our first AFT"

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/26/05

S.S. Azure Seas Mex. 11/90

I'm going to be accused of being evil for this comment, but I'm about to go on a cruise, so I won't read the mean comments... The only problem I would have with high people on a ship is that they eat all the good food (runduckzoom).

Evil for your comment? Or, evil for eating all the "good food"?:D

No mean comments from me!:p

Anyway, I highly (pun intended) doubt it was the smell that was illegal.

I too spent MANY an enjoyable weekend in the Hashberry in the early '60s

Way OT but what a cute doggie for your AV. He/she kinda looks like cute "trouble".

So if I understand your post, its safer and best to buy it in the good 'ole U S of A? Buy American and not Foreign....?:eek:

That was NOT my point at all! :eek: No, I think it's better off not to buy any at all! I just don't understand people who would go on a cruise and then risk being thrown into a foreign (or domestic) jail over getting high.

Where in the world do you live that you don't know what a deadhead is????????????????????

WOW

~Jen

Jen.. she was born in 1978... probably never heard of deadhead... give her a break... and she is in Ct... (read her profile) New England states are not like big city towns you know :)

We "older" folks know because we were around in the 60's and 70's....:):eek:

By the way....it i s "The Haight"

Maybe the person who asked the question was born in the 1980's...More "enlightened in CA"???? To what? To Whom? I don't think so....

As far as illegality (sp?) goes...I think that the illegal, minor, drinkers on board are more of a problem than the pot smokers. I honestly can say that I haven't smelled much pot onboard. But I have stepped on drunk teenagers on the stairs.

Ah, Haight/Ashbury... thanks for the smile. I was born in SF... loved everything about it. Depending on who you ask (my mom or dad) I was either conceived at the Haight/Ashbury district or Woodstock!

D :)

Way OT but what a cute doggie for your AV. He/she kinda looks like cute "trouble".

Thanks; his name is Logan and he is! an Aberdeen Terr(or)ier; 10 months old.

Since that was your only complaint, OP, glad to hear you had a great cruise! :D

As for pot, I've smelled it on most cruises I've been on. Carnival was the worst offender (not trying to bash lines, just stating what my experience has been), and RCCL and X were about the same. Didn't smell it at all on one cruise on the line, and smelled it coming from one or two rooms on the others. It doesn't really bother me (in fact, I find it rather amusing), but I'm sorry it bothered you! :(

• 4 weeks later...

What I dont get is how they're getting the stuff onboard. I thought I saw a post somewhere on this board that said security is so much tighter that all ports have drug sniffing dogs upon embarkation. Seems pretty risky to me...

I am now confused...reading the RCI website I thought this meant that you could ONLY smoke in certain designated areas. I thought ALL cabins were supposed to be non-smoking (whether or not cruisers obeyed is another thing entirely)

:confused:

"For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, smoking is prohibited onboard most areas of our ships. However, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have special designated smoking areas in many of our lounges and on all open-air decks. On Alaska Cruisetours, smoking is not permitted on motorcoaches or inside traincars. On Canadian Rockies Cruisetours, smoking is not permitted on motorcoaches or anywhere on the traincars. "

I am now confused...reading the RCI website I thought this meant that you could ONLY smoke in certain designated areas. I thought ALL cabins were supposed to be non-smoking (whether or not cruisers obeyed is another thing entirely)

"For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, smoking is prohibited onboard most areas of our ships. However, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have special designated smoking areas in many of our lounges and on all open-air decks. On Alaska Cruisetours, smoking is not permitted on motorcoaches or inside traincars. On Canadian Rockies Cruisetours, smoking is not permitted on motorcoaches or anywhere on the traincars. "

Smoking is permitted in all cabins and on all balconies. Only certain "public" places onboard have restrictions.

Well, I was on the Mariner on the following cruise, 6/25, and apparently the SAME thing happened, right down the HALL from us. :rolleyes: LOTS and LOTS of officers and drug-sniffing dogs showed up, people were interrogated over the course of a few hours, and from the looks of things, those involved most definitely were NOT happy to be discovered. They definitely were in some major trouble.

Edited to add, this happened in a port, can't remember if it was St. Thomas or St. Maarten.

None of the cabins on any of the mass marketing type lines, like RCI and Carnival are non-smoking.

###

Archived