Somewhere over the Rainbow - sail-away song

taffy12

I was on Constellation two summers ago for the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise, and our sail-away song at the time (not sure if it changes) was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...but a different version than the original, perhaps it had kind of a calypso vibe, if my memory serves me right...or perhaps not. Anyway, does anyone know who this version is by?

The band on the Constellation "Onyx" used to play it all the time. When I got home I searched the internet and found it was originally sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I was able to download the MP3, it is fantastic.

Cheers,

I have been mesmerized by this song everytime I have sailed on the Connie. Thank you so much for the information on the performer, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I ordered a CD on which it appears this morning from Tower Records. :)

When we were in Hawaii on a cruise several years ago, we did a helicopter tour in Kauai and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Iz was on our headphones. It was magical listening to this song looking at the unbelievable scenery of Kauai. I came home and bought 3 of Iz's CDs. You can get them just about anywhere that has a good selection of CDs, inlcuding on-line music sources.

Unfortunately, Iz passed away several years ago. I'm going to have to go play that CD now!

ENJOY !!!!

At the Polynesian Theme Hotel restaurant Ohana (Hawaiian for family), you will find a strolling entertainer who is/was a good friend of IZ..in fact, the last time he visited him, when he got home, he had a message that IZ passed away as he was flying back to Florida. He will be happy to play that song for you at your table, and after we talked about IZ, at our table for a while, he strolled to many tables, and played the song. Say hello to when you are visiting there....ciao, I mean Aloha!

;)

Archived