hotels in seward?

gabberqueen

We spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express and two nights at the Saltwater Lodge. Both were very nice but also very different.

The Holiday Inn was right on the harbor and had a large continental breakfast. It was clean and quiet, and had one some of the nicest front desk staff I've ever met -- they arranged trips, gave directions, shopping and dining tips, you name it. Several special requests were no problem. They also will store your luggage before check in and after checkout. You can walk from the Alaska RR station.

The Saltwater Lodge was about 3 miles outside of town on a rough road. The view was wonderful (sea otters just off your beach) and the rooms (we had a suite) were very clean, although the furnishings were dated. Make sure you stock up on food and toiletries before you get there or have a car to go into town. Otherwise, you're out in the "wilderness" without a lot of options (or a tv, telephone, radio or hairdryer!) Huge, well equipped kitchen and friendly owners who also do kayaking and fishing trips. My husband booked a fishing trip with them and caught a 45 pound ling cod.

I think the lodge is a perfect option if you have several days and want a good outdoors experience. If you don't have a lot of time in Seward and are just taking the fjords cruise or going to the Sea Life Center, I'd choose the HI.

You can't go wrong with either IMO. Bon Voyage!

Archived