Best luau in Honolulu?

lynnck7

All the options I listed were on Oahu, that's more than there are on Maui.

Why do you think Old Lahaina luau is true Hawaiian while the others aren't?

If you want a true Hawaiian luau:

1) The women dance topless

2) Women and men forbidden from eating together on pain of death

3) Women forbidden from eating pork, banana, coconut on pain of death

4) Only men allowed to cook

MIkeKaye- you are too funny.

The show at the Polynesian Cultural Center is supposed to be excellent. "Oahu Revealed" rates it as the best luau on the island. But it is not in Honolulu- it is across the island in La'ie, which can be a 60-90 minute drive depending on traffic. The PCC is also owned by the Mormon church, so if you like an "open bar"- this one is not for you.

OLd Lahaina Luau (on Maui) is considered the "best" by many. But, they do not have any fire dancers or audience participation (fire dancing is not considered authentic). We are going to this one, but I have heard that people really like the excitement of the shows that have the other stuff.

Another plus to the PCC one is that admission to the park is included in the price. YOu can come early and walk around, so you get a lot more for your "buck". And not only do you get the entertainment during the Luau you then get to go to their huge production show- Horizons. YOu can also arrange for them to pick you up if you weren't planning on renting a car. They are closed Sundays. For $80.00pp you can make a whole day of it. (Can you tell that I am kinda wishing we had done this one? I have already paid for OLL, though!-next time!)

KML

I may be nuts but I'm staying in Maui a week before our cruise, and I'm going to the Old Lahaina Luau while there, plus the Royal Lahaina luau withthe cruise group I'm with when the shihps hits Maui, AND while in Honolulu I'm planning on going to the PCC for theirs as well. lol All 3 of these are musts (After all the research I did on Luau's.) Many are very bad.. these three come highly recommended by those who have been and the many awards they have won. Good luck in your choosing :)

Any advice on which luau to book during post-cruise in Honolulu?

I allwayslike the Royal Hawaiian Luau. Beautiful view of DiamonD head in the background and not super tacky.:) There is a discount coupon:) on the website of the hotel. It is only on Mondays. But if you are there during summer it is more than once a week.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Germaine's Luau and the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau while in Ohau earlier this month. I personally liked Germaine's better. For one, it was dark out and the dancers looked more colorful in the show lights. Plus, the audience participation made it very enjoyable. And the 3 drinks that came with your ticket were very strong and yummy too. Plus, if you buy one of their souvenier glasses in the gift shop ($8), you can get your 3 drinks in those and get twice as much to drink than if you use their plastic cups. And one of the best parts of the experience was the tour bus ride there and back. The ride to and from the local hotel they pick you up at is so entertaining. These tour guides are so much fun and know how to make a bus ride part of the luau experience. They do a great job. You'll be laughing the whole time. Cousin Spencer was awesome. By the way, everyone is your cousin in Hawaii.

Archived