Anyone have info on visiting Lucca

We're going to be in Livorno in August on NCL Jewel and we'd love to do a trip up to Lucca :) ( we've already been to Pisa and Florence) but don't want a ship tour . Has anyone done this on their own ? Any advise is much appriciated !!

I haven't done this yet, but I hear that it is very easy to do this via train. You have to change trains in Pisa. I am thinking of doing this in Sept/Oct, let us know if you do this and how it went.

Judy

My family and I are also thinking of doing Lucca in the morning, having lunch there and then going to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower and back to Livorno. We are definitely doing it by train, it takes about an hour to get to Lucca (with a change in trains in Pisa), a half hour between between Lucca and Pisa and then 15-20 minutes from Pisa to Livorno. We will be there in about 3 weeks. I can let you know more about it when we get back.

Let me try to help. We travel in Europe a lot, and were just in Lucca in early May when we went there from a port stop on the Grand Princess (transatlantic). This was our 3 rd visit to Lucca, and we decided to spend our Livorno day there because we were staying in Italy for a few weeks after the cruise including a few nights in Florence. The train option does work well, with the biggest issue finding a taxi to take you from the port to the Livorno train station (persisit and ye shall find). At the train station you can buy your ticket at the ticket counter or in the self-service ticket machines. Make sure you validate your ticket at the stamp machines before you get on a train (otherwise you can be subject to a fine). You will have to change at Pisa (about 20 min from Livorno) but this is not a big deal. Just make sure you get on the right train. At Pisa they have a platform (I think it was 3A or something "A") which is all the way at one end of the station...and that is where our train for Lucca departed (you can ask at the station for help). Once at Lucca,, you can easily walk into the town from the train station and simply walk around, find your place for lunch, and even rent bikes to ride on the walls if this is your thing. As to Pisa, I guess everyone has to go there once, but for us, one visit to Pisa (about 30 min) was enough (we were driving our rental car when we visited this place). Personally, I think Lucca is a great alternative to Florence for those who have seen Florence and want something different. Another option in Livorno is to simply rent a car and drive yourselves to places like Siena, San Gimignano, Voltarra, etc. We have spent weeks in Tuscany and never get tired of this wonderful part of Italy.

Hank

Thank you Hank and Crazy4cruzin , that's all the info we were looking for :) I'm so looking forward to this trip .

Judy , i'll let you know how we got on and any tips when we get back on the 3rd of September.

What do you guys think about the Rome stop - i've been to Rome so want to maybe visit a small village or beach near to the ship , a half day ?

Civitavecchia is one of those "problem ports" because of its location far from most places of interest to us tourists. We have explored this region both from ships and when driving throught the area and have not found much of interest (there are others who disagree). As to beaches, the place that is often mentioned is Lido de Ostia which some consider Rome's beach. But, this place is located a few miles south of Rome's airport and about an hour drive from the port. You would need to rent a car. There is another obscure option which is a small beach located at Santa Marinella/Capo Linaro which is only a few miles South of the port We have never stopped at the beach, but I have been told that they do have some facilities. This would be close enough to use a taxi, but you might want to look for some additional info and the quality of this beach from somebody who has actually been to the place. In our experience, beaches on the west side of Italy are not worth the effort since we have been spoiled by the great sandy beaches in the states and Caribbean. Santa Marinella is also a stop on some of the trains from Civitavecchia (it would be the first stop) but since we have never gone to this place I am not sure if you can walk to the beaches from the station.

Hank

Rather close to Civitavecchia are two major Etruscan sites to be visited :

Tarquinia some 20 mins by car to the norht : here are the famous frescoed tombs, and Cerveteri, some 20 mins to the south, which is quite an impressive tomb city, and both very fascinating.

J

Archived