"Laundry by the bag" price?

Grumpy1

We were on the Rotterdam and used the "laundry by the bag" option. There was nothing on the form or in the cabin book that mentioned the price, but had seen several references here on CC to a $12 price.

We sent laundry out twice, one VERY stuffed bag each time. Individual piece prices would have been over $100 for each bag! On our final statement, there was one laundry charge of $20. By the date of the charge, it would have been the first bag. So now the question. Has the price per bag gone up to $20 and they missed charging us for the second bag? I figured $20 for two bags was a good deal, so didn't question the front desk about the price, but am curious about what others have paid recently.

We were on the Rotterdam and used the "laundry by the bag" option. There was nothing on the form or in the cabin book that mentioned the price, but had seen several references here on CC to a $12 price.

We sent laundry out twice, one VERY stuffed bag each time. Individual piece prices would have been over $100 for each bag! On our final statement, there was one laundry charge of $20. By the date of the charge, it would have been the first bag. So now the question. Has the price per bag gone up to $20 and they missed charging us for the second bag? I figured $20 for two bags was a good deal, so didn't question the front desk about the price, but am curious about what others have paid recently.

My SPECULATION is that they charge more for the European itineraries. Why you ask? Again, pure speculation....because they can. My guess is the second charge will show up on your next credit card statement, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I agree, it's a great deal. I use it on every cruise :).

Marie

My SPECULATION is that they charge more for the European itineraries. Why you ask? Again, pure speculation....because they can. My guess is the second charge will show up on your next credit card statement, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I agree, it's a great deal. I use it on every cruise :).

Marie

The onboard charges appeared on my credit card online one week after the cruise. No change from the amount shown on the final statement.

Well, now that you've notified them you were under-charged (since HAL folks read this forum) you can expect the rest to appear on your bill soon! ;)
Ahhh, but that would be a small price to pay for getting accurate information to the public...:rolleyes: ... so does anyone know what the price is? Does it vary by ship? By itinerary?

On our final statement, there was one laundry charge of $20. By the date of the charge, it would have been the first bag. So now the question. Has the price per bag gone up to $20 and they missed charging us for the second bag? I figured $20 for two bags was a good deal, so didn't question the front desk about the price, but am curious about what others have paid recently.

I think it also depends upon the ship. I paid $12 per bag when I sailed the Zuiderdam in summer 2004. But, then ... it was a pretty small bag. When I sailed the Amsterdam this past January, I think I paid $18 per bag, but the bag was much bigger. I was able to stuff like 5 tee-shirts, 5 "Aloha" shirts, two pairs of jogging pants and a pair of regular pants in there. The bag was actually cloth ... not this paper-like thing that I got on the Zuiderdam.

Maybe because my cruise was Hawaii/South Pacific and yours was to Europe would account for the additional $2 per bag?

Sounds to me like they forgot the second bag. Oh, well ... don't worry. HAL won't go broke over your $20. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Recently on the Noordam (May) I paid $18 for a bag of laundry. Last year on the Veendam on the Panama Canal/Amazon cruise which was a 30/34 day itinerary, I believe the price was $15. Of course, the Veendam has self service laundy also and the Noordam does not.

We sailed Westerdam (Europe) and sent out laundry (in a cloth bag) a couple of times (23 days) and it was $12 a bag - isn't it amazing what you can put in those bags if your roll everything up into teeny tiny pieces?!

Anyway Grumpy - either way, if you only paid $20 total, you got a deal! And I know from reading all your travelogues (and enjoying them immensely!), that HAL has gotten PLENTY of your hard earned $$$$$$$$$$!!!! Can't wait to read about your next trip!!!!

We paid $12 for our bag on the Westerdam in June -- and yes -- it is amazing how many items we were able to get into that bag with a little creative folding! Would have preferred the self service laundry as I would not send certain items out, but the laundry we sent was returned in beautiful condition.

Grumpy -- all I can assume is that it depends upon the ship and/or the itinerary. Sounds like you did get a real bargain!

It's beginning to look like they make up the price on a day to day basis. $12, $18, $19, $20... all within a few weeks! I think I will check with the desk before sending anything out to see what "the price of the day" is.

It's still a bargain at $20, when compared to the per piece prices, but Ol' Grumpy would prefer an even better bargain.:p

Greetings...

We sent out two bags while on the Maasdam and paid 12 dollars, while on the Montreal to Boston cruise. Our cabin steward told us to be sure and mark on the slip how many of what we sent out...and then I filled in 12 per bags.

Wolf

You can put anything that fits in the bag. Just know that HAL's laundry uses HOT water and some things do shrink. Most of us do wash some things in the bathroom (undies, hose etc) and hang them on the retractable clothes line over the tub. We sailed with a frequent cruiser (104 on HAL) who used her whirlpool bathtub and a cap full of shampoo for delicates.

GN

Archived