Cabanas?

Kane

On a previous O-cruise, the 11th deck was a really popular place to be, especially when going in or out of a port. I now notice that they are renting cabanas on that deck.

Question: to recent sailors ... how intrusive are these "private areas", and do they detract from the view and feeling of freedom while up there? (I wouldn't feel right intruding on any "de-thonged" 91 year-old playing games with his Anna-Nicole ;) ).

Kane -

I don't know anything about cabanas (my first O cruise in December) but I too would like to know more about them. Has anyone "rented" one for a cruise? Would it be worthwhile for a caribbean cruise, or is it just fine on the pool deck? They look kind of fun, but maybe that's just my fantasy.

sacway

We had one for a Caribbean Cruise on "O" last Feb/Mar and loved it. We booked it for the full cruise. We subsequently booked another for a cruise we have scheduled for May 07. I have a slight disability so do not visit each port. My husband likes to explore the ports but hates leaving me alone behind. We both felt comfortable that I would be well taken care of in his absence with the cabana, and I was. However, all who rented them received the same excellent service. If you have specific questions, I will be happy to answer them. I also have some pictures of the area that I could share. Provide me an email if you would like to see the pix.

We checked the cabanas out during our recent Oceania cruise. They are curtained off and have retractable tops. Only one had been rented for our cruise.

Personally, I thought it was very claustrophobic. You could look straight ahead to the beautiful ocean, but there were curtains on either side of the loungers. I like the deck where they are located, as they are very quiet, being away from the pool area and chose a lounger nearby, with a view of the same ocean, but from the side.

The biggest problem is lack of facilities. You have to climb down their metallic staircase, which is outside to get to a toilet. If it starts to rain, these stairs are quite slippery. Unless Oceania has plans to add a restroom to that deck, it is not the most practical location. The view is great, but the amenities just are not there.

We talked about the "inside" cabanas and for the reason Benita stated - just seeing straight ahead, we chose the most extreme starboard, with the plexi-glass or whatever all the way around the side. There is no side curtain on the end cabana(s). It was real nice as our balcony was on the port side so we had a great view regardless of where we were. We kept our curtains open a lot as it really let the air blow through. Several times people came up and asked about them, what the rates were, etc., and we invited them to come in and try the bali beds. And I've read some horror stories about people closing them up real tight to keep others from seeing out over the front, and we did not do that either. I addressed the lack of restroom facilities and accessible only by stairs with Oceania when I completed my questionnaire, it was a concern for me as I am on a cane. I will tell you though as soon as I started toward the steps it seemed as though staff was there asking if they could assist me. On an existing ship, I don't know how they could change it to put restroom facilities up there after the fact. When they build the new one, maybe things will be different. The privacy and just the little added touch of luxury certainly outweighed the concerns I had. My husband would enjoy it when he got back to the ship each day, as well. Several were reserved on our cruise and probably due to the fact that it was to the Caribbean (we had gorgeous HOT weather) and we had 4 sea days. If I were to go on another cruiseline now the cabana would be one of the things I would miss. But that's probably not going to happen.;)

We had one for a Caribbean Cruise on "O" last Feb/Mar and loved it. We booked it for the full cruise. We subsequently booked another for a cruise we have scheduled for May 07. I have a slight disability so do not visit each port. My husband likes to explore the ports but hates leaving me alone behind. We both felt comfortable that I would be well taken care of in his absence with the cabana, and I was. However, all who rented them received the same excellent service. If you have specific questions, I will be happy to answer them. I also have some pictures of the area that I could share. Provide me an email if you would like to see the pix.

They look real nice on the Oceania web-site, but at 5 bills a day I think I would have spent that 5 Grand + on a better suite/room and had the Butler take care of my needs. JMHO

Barry

Oh no...the 11th deck has been taken over by cabanas? I spent a lot of time up there off an on during the day, when I felt like getting some sun without being poolside. I felt like it was kind of my own private spot (me, plus about 10 others during the day, a bit more when the ship came into a port). OK, I admit I'm a bit of a loner...) PA Nana, could you send me a picture or two, if they're not too large (i.e., compressed)? My email is harrynav@erols.com. I guess I'll also look on Oceania's web site too, just out of curiosity. But I guess Benita is saying that the loungers are still up there, just that certain areas are partitioned off for the cabanas, right? I can live with that. Then again, I will be traveling in early October in the Med, so it may be too cold to be up there - not sure!

Here is what the cabanas look like:

%5CData%5Cd4e%5Cd4e38861-049b-4a76-ad9f-73d3b9141db7%5C2fd9b795-8b31-4c0c-a074-99cd040ef8b9.jpg%5CData%5Ca4b%5Ca4ba7bb6-0add-4ed6-9149-e8075c8dbe8c%5Ccc064451-4bad-4a72-a8b6-5d6feb3bfaf8.jpg

From comments by previous posters, I assume they stretch across the entire front of Deck 11, with the "free" loungers facing the sides of the deck.

And, in fact, the deck plan indicates that the loungers do not occupy the area in the front of the deck as envisioned by the designers, although I'll bet that passengers moved them there before there were cabanas.

ExploreTheShips.Controls%5CImages%5Cv2%5CCD_DP%5CDeck_11.jpg

When we were on the Insignia last summer, they had NOT installed cabanas. when we sailed on the Regatta in February, they WERE installed.

As far as them being "in the way", they really aren't that intrusive. They only take up the most forward portion of the deck. There is still plenty of room for quiet sunbathing on one side, or shuffleboard on the other.

I think one person booked one cabana for one day on our cruise, so they were underutilized, to say the least. In the Caribbean in February, they seemed to be brutally hot, and thus no-one wanted them on that particular cruise. There seems to be little air circulation in them at all. I think they would be nice if you got an end one, and the weather wasn't too hot.

However, not my personal preference....

The cabanas were not used much on our 11 night Istanbul > Athens trip this past May. At most three of the eight seemed to be rented. As some other posters noted, I would not think any cabana except the far port and starboard ones would offer much of a view. Air circulation also seemed to be a problem, although it was not very hot at that time of the year on the Med. It is now however!

If you really want a view, use my favorite place on board; the Horizon Lounge. It is cool, confortable and has FREE (Wow! For Oceania that's a miracle) binoculars and spyglasses.

However, not my personal preference....

from Timbo 89

That's really what it all boils down to in cruising. My personal preference was to have a great view from both sides of the ship - balcony port and cabana starboard. And I was not really interested in a forward or aft

stateroom. I liked being smack dab in the middle of the ship for my living/sleeping quarters. Thanks to "O" for giving us all these great choices. And no matter our differences/no matter our preferences, how fortunate are we all to be able to travel as we do. Happy 4th of July to everyone who resides in the USA. And to all the rest, I'll just wish that your next cruise is your best cruise ever.

For our cruise (11 days + embarcation and debarcation "day") the full cruise cabana rental according to the Oceania website is $500. It does come with 25% off spa services on port days, but usually port days already carry spa discounts. Also, a "personal valet" delivering snacks every couple of hours, and a few other goodies. I can see especially if one were frail but didn't want to stay in the cabin all day, it would be nice.

We bit the bullet and our friends and I have booked 2 cabanas for the duration of our Cruise starting July 14th.

We have paid $50 a day per cabana and we know that whenever we are onboard, we have a place for the 4 of us to sit together.

I will report back upon our return as to whether they were worth the money.

Brian

They look real nice on the Oceania web-site, but at 5 bills a day I think I would have spent that 5 Grand + on a better suite/room and had the Butler take care of my needs. JMHO

Barry

I am so Sorry, when I was looking at prices on Oceania's site I thought it was 500 a day, when it was only 50 per day or 500 per cruise, which seems like a good price unless you are in a Vista suite already, and have the same view.

Barry

The flyer, which I kept, from our Nautica cruise stated that the cost was $50.00 per day on port days and $100.00 per day on sea days. The same flyer said that cruise long rates were available, but did not quote a price, so $500.00 for a full 11 day cruise sounds right.

Still, my opinion (altho it doesn't make any difference) is that the cabanas block an outside view forward, which is a real delight to many. Yes, you can see forward in the Horizon lounge, but you are inside.

I think they are in poor taste, but saying that, the rest of the ship is a delight, and the staff is fantastic, from the reception area, deck hands to our butler. Excellent service. We could certainly enjoy the view from our balcony, but if you want to go topside and take in the view, you cannot.

I was concerned about the cabanas when I started the thread because the "occupants" would probably feel proprietary about the deck and not want the "unwashed masses" intruding into their territory.

On a prior voyage, the glass screen was used by many as protection from wind/rain while approaching a port ... this shelter would no longer be available.

A bit of a disappointment, but such is life.

Archived