mexican riviera 24 Sept 04

xander

Wow - i've just logged on and been told that my last post was over 3 months ago.......my only excuse is i have been a busy boy.....new job, new apartment and new boyfriend....hooray. And i have persuaded him to sample the delights of cruising for the first time - double hooray. So we are sailing on the Mercury on Sept 24th out of San Francisco on a mexican riviera cruise, and spending a few days pre and post cruise in that fair city. we also hope to spend at least one day (and night) in the wine region. so if anyone is on that cruise then please say hi - look for the tall blond south african with the short dark brit (me)

oh and any recommendations for hotels in the city and napa area will be welcome....

Here's the site I use for corporate travel.

www.hotelres.com/sfr/

Even if you just use this as a resource, and then bid at one of the auction sites, it's helpful. I'd recommmend checking out the Juliana for a less expensive hotel near Union Square (best shopping area)- small rooms, but great location. Hyatt Embarcadero in the Financial District (careful, there are three Hyatts downtown) has great views of the Bay and the waterfront, and is at the foot of Market Street, so is easy subway ride to the Castro, if you guys are so inclined. Also, Chip Conolly, a Gay Hotelier in S.F has some fun places-not gay hotels, but "trendy"- Hotel Addagio is his newest, also near Union Sq. We have a "W", pricey but chic, and there's the Hotel Palomar (Kimpton Hotel Group), very expensive/chic, and with a great restaurant, "Fifth Floor." Then there are the classic expensive and traditional; Ritz, Four Seasons, Fairmont, Westin St. Francis, Sheraton Palace. My assistant just got a night at the Sharaton Palace for $160. which is a great rate(S.F. Hotels are expensive when compared to a lot of cities) If you two are looking for a gay guesthouse, the Parker House is really nice, and the guys who run it are great, too. It's probably the best in/near the Castro. If you have a question about a particular hotel, feel free to e-mail me using my profile. There are some SCARY hotels that advertise "convenient location" and "in the heart of everything!" NOT!

My partner and I will have just returned to San Francisco from the Constellation a few days before you depart, so I'll watch the piers from the Bay bridge that morning and wish you guys a great trip on the Mercury.

Just got off the Mercury May 5. The ship is in great condition and the crew is wonderful. Sorry I don't have any hotel recommendations since I almost always stay with friends. You'll have a great cruise and the bay area is a gay man's paradise. Have fun.

Hi guys...

blazerboy; thanks for the hotel tips. Not sure yet whether we want trendy, gay or total luxury....you've given us loads to think about - thanks - as long as the ceilings aren't too low and the bed is long (Gus is 6'3)....i guess you live in s/f...cool. where are you off to on the constellation?

Jeff - hi...

glad you enjoyed the mercury. i did try to get us on the new Sapphire Princess which is doing a similar itinerary..but it was twice the price as celebrity!!!! reason being that princess don't allow us Brits to book through the US discount agents, whereas celebrity etc do. i was a bit concerned that the ship might be past its prime so i'm glad to hear its in great nick. we are actually flying in to LAX, using a companion ticket deal courtesy of Gus' virgin credit card!!!!!, so we'll wave as we jet over your house! Where did the mercury trip take you? we call at monterey, catalina island, puerto vallarta and cabo san lucas. never been to any of these places or sailed with celebrity or cruised with a boyfriend before so i am a tad excited.

ian

Used to live right in San Francisco, but now work here, and live about 20 miles outside the city(housing is REALLY expensive here!)

We're going on the Fall Transatlantic from Dover to New York (see thread here in G/L section) I'm trying to get my partner to take the Mercury 7 day coastal next Spring, but he's holding out for The Baltics next Summer on the Constellation. I want the QM2- westbound crossing- these are NOT tough fights to have!:)

Enjoy-only a little over two months to go!

Andrew

expensive housing - sounds just like London! Now the second most expensive city in the world after Tokyo!!!!

just got back from a great weekend in London though - it was gay pride....what an atmosphere. Went to see Will Young - our openly gay Pop Idol winner - at G.A.Y (nightclub venue). Stayed up way past my bedtime; and it takes me a lot longer to recover these days....haha.

ian

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian,

Glad that there are others aboard, (so far I'm counting 12 - including you two) , I'm sure that we will see each other somewhere / sometime. I hope to be in the gym at least a few days. All that cruise food takes a toll on my girlish figure. Ha, just kidding.

Anyway you guys have a great trip.

J & T

Archived