Train from Rome to Florence - HELP!

We will be in Rome for three days pre-cruise and we have decided to take the train early Friday morning (9/22) to Florence and return early evening the same day. I went on the Trenitalia website thinking I could just check the train schedule for times. Boy, was I disappointed. Even though I clicked on the English version, there is still a lot in Italian. I couldn't believe how many trains there were for this route. Could someone who is familiar with this website let me know how to find the train schedule for the fastest train? I am not sure if the EuroStar is what I want.:eek:

I can usually find my way around a site, but this one really confuses me!

Thanks in advance,

You will want the trains that say ES, those are the fastest. When you put in the original time in the morning, if you do not like what first appears select Other Options, more times will appear. There is a 7:30am gets to Florence at 9:06am and then a 8:30 arriving at 10:06. Returning from Florence to Rome - 7:30pm arrives 9:06, 7:52pm arrives 9:30pm, 8:43pm arrives 10:20pm. I did this on my own in 2004 and it worked out great.

Thanks for helping. I didn't go to the other options. I think I just freaked out when I saw all the different trains listed :eek: . Now that you have given me the times I will go back and check it out and see if I can come up with what you are showing.

I appreciate the time you took to do this!

Also, I believe you cannot buy online until 60 days before. So when you see "NO" to the far right that is why. I have purchased online for a number of trips and it worked out great. Just do not forget the email they send you. All you then have to do is find the lane your train is in. I have read a number of posts about validating your ticket in the station but when I have purchased online this was not required.

When you buy Eurostar (ES) tickets online, you do not have to validate your ticket since all you have is an e-mail confirmation with a reservation number listed. Hand this e-mail to the conductor who comes through the train. He/she will know what it is and where to look for the reservation number. You will be given a receipt by the conductor.

On local trains and the Leonardo Express, you do need to stamp your ticket before getting on the train since these tickets are not for a specific date and time.:)

micruiser 2002 and Desert Cruisers -

I appreciate the time you have each taken to answer my questions. This is what is so great about Cruise Critic. How else does anyone ever get the chance to find all these things out?

Eurostar is definitely what you want. The main station in Florence is Santa Maria Novella which you will sometimes see referred to as 'SMN'. Ten minutes walk to the Duomo, if that. Be prepared for lots of walking but my oh my is it worth it! Wonderful place, enjoy!

DougYWG--

This trip is not coming fast enough for me. The train is going to be one more 1st for my entire group. We already have a reservation for the Accademia so Florence here we come!!!! We all have new walking shoes and are prepared for anything.

Thanks for your input!!

You might want to consider having an TA in Rome book the ticket for you. Rick Steves lists several in his book, doing it at the terminal is a nightmare at least in my experience. Also they will know if there is some kind of special that you can take advantage of like a 29e fare. That way there is no add on fee that rail europe tacks on. Also 2nd class is fine for this short of a trip. Be aware however train service in Italy is not what it is here and you can find yourself delayed by hours either by strike or for no apparent reason.

As the train pulls into the station if you exit to your left just next to the steps at the bottom is a deli if you want snacks or anything for the return trip home. Cross the street and walk up appx a block and you will see a stand with all kinds of junk and that is the main bus stop. Check the signs and you will see the # 7 bus will take you right down to Domo, and on to the Academe. If you want a quick tour of the town on the cheap take the #13 bus it does a large loop takes about an hour, and stops at the Plaza Michangelo which gives you a wonderful view of Florence overall from the hill top. Bus ticket for 24 hrs is 4e. Another thing hang on once you get on bus...They are quick start, stomp on the break drivers and you will get tossed around if you don't grab hold.

Thank you for your information nco4242.

Once I figure out the train situation I will check out the bus next. I know after we see the Accademia the next thing we want to see is the Piazzale Michelangelo for some beautiful pics of the Duomo.

There is no need to go through a travel agent in Rome to book a Eurostar train. I've read Rick Steves book and, unfortunately, the info doesn't reflect the availability of the updated Trenitalia website. Any specials will also be on the website. I agree that 2nd class is perfectly okay for the trip.

As for the train service, it's not perfect but we were very pleased with our experience going from Milan to Florence and Florence to Venice on Eurostar. We also took a local train from Civitavecchia into Rome and the airport express train in Rome. Strikes are unpredictable and may or may not impact the train that you are taking.:)

Archived