Car rental insurance help!

Cruisechick82

I was just going through all our cruise information and was thinking that I need to call or e-mail the Skagway office to confirm our reservation for our rental car when I thought about insurance.

We cannot buy rental car insurance since we are only 24 and you must be 25 for Avis extra policies. Our regular car insurance doesn't cover rental cars so we are left with the Citi Diamond Rewards Mastercard we are booking the rental with. I'm going to read all the fine print to see if it covers rental cars, but I have heard that you need proof of insurance in Canada or something when you cross the border? How does that work?

And also does anyone have the e-mail or phone# for the Skagway office? I'm having trouble finding it.

Well it appears my credit card does have rental car insurance, but I will need to call them and check on what they offer for Canada. But what about the proof of insurance at customs while driving into Canada? I know I read something about that in another thread. How would I prove that?

I have never been asked about car insurance at the boarder and have been there already this year.

Verify directly with your credit card insurance coverage. I do believe Canada is covered, but they seem to be always changing. For example, I've got a trip coming up for Ireland, that Mastercard is now not covering, significant increase in costs now.

Thanks BQ, I know that I read something about insurance for Canada in another thread and that was the first time I had heard anything about it so I was wondering if I was missing something. I will call credit card company tonight to verify Canada coverage.

Archived