"UP FRONT" on Voyager??

Whats the reason for the upgrade, did you request one? or did Royal Caribbean offer it to you? What catgory did you have and what category are you in now? Did you get any ship board credit for the move?

Side of the Voyager has balconies, If you are directly upfront you won't have a balcony you know? Will your cabin be facing the bow? If so you won't have a balcony with that cabin.

Jimbo

We were quoted a price for a "G" category and were offered an "H" if we were willing to face front. We never considered a balcony anyway, as the extra expense is not worth it to us. I'm just wondering if there's any disadvantage to the location.

I'm noticing that you are from New Jersey. How will you get to Bayonne?

Interesting... I don't see a "G" category in the "updated 2004-2005 cruise vacation planner". I wonder where exactly a "G" category would fall since F,H, & I are all OV staterooms... theoretically, G would be a better room than H?!?!?

When I booked our next cruise, the Loyalty Ambassador said she didn't really recommend the category H rooms, as they were in the very front of the ship, and you were more likely to feel the motion of the ship if that is an issue for you.

Let us know what you end up doing.
A

We had one of the rooms on the front last Christmas and really enjoyed it. I think it was on deck 6 also. Due to the slope of the front of the ship, the front wall angles down, giving more room at the base than at the top which makes a big difference. We did not feel any extra motion there.

[size=3]Sounds like a good deal to me. Jump on it!!!:D [/size]

Yes, I was even more confused than I myself realized! You are so right about there being no "G" category, and I appreciate the fact that you looked it up. The initial price quoted was for an "I" category, so "UP" when referring to "Upgrade" is opposite to what I had thought. I have checked out the pictures of the ship as well as the diagram and can figure out where our cabin will be. It looks like fun to me, and I am so grateful for the previous posting from people who have actually experienced an "upfront" accommodation. I have not had a problem with motion sickness in the past, except for a VERY bad crossing back from Bermuda on the Nordic Empress in 2000. Couldn't be helped, and I had to give in and take Bonine, which fixed me right up. So I'm looking forward to my upfront upgrade. Thanks again. :D

One of the people in our party had a room facing forward on Deck 7. I personally did not see it, but she seemed to enjoy it. She liked the view and didn't mention any complaints. She did say it was a tiny bit smaller, but she didn't mind at all.

Marialivia... I kinda like to think about it as sitting on a train... some seats get to see where you are going, and some get to see where you've been :D

I'm sure you'll love your choice, and come back with all kinds of advice for us!

A

What a great idea -- also, I could pretend I'm "steering" the ship (God forbid). These comments have resolved my doubts , and my enthusiasm is mounting!! Now, we just have to find the best way for my friend from NJ to get to Bayonne. (My own suggestion is that she get one of her children to drive her -- wht else are they for?) M.

Can't speak for the cabin, but the location, in my opinion, is one of the worst on the ship. Last April, we sailed on the NOS and booked a guarantee D-6. We were upgraded to a D-7, six cabins from the front of the ship. I found two problems with the location: 1) during rough seas, which we experienced the last two nights, you will feel every wave, even on the larger ships, and 2) other than the theater, everything to do is located either at the aft or midship, giving you a very long walk. Even the gangways to get off the ship while in various ports were at the back. We had to allow ourselves an extra 5 minutes of walking every time we wanted to go somewhere. You'll work up an appetite before you get to the buffet for breakfast. Next cruise, I'm booked in a corner aft D-1 on the 10th deck and think I'll enjoy it much more.

Thanks for your input, even though it may not be what I'd like to hear about. As for the "movement," I've related above the dreadful seasickness I experienced (along with many, many others) on the Empress a few years ago, and we were nowhere near the front. You provide a good point about the long walk, however -- we don't mind walking (in fact, we rather enjoy it), but if it means we might be late for something we need to do, we will take your suggestion about allowing extra time. As far as I'm concerned at this point, the Upfront location is a done deal and we'll just have to live with it!! Hope you enjoy your next cruise and the ones after that!! :(

We had cabin 8200 on Voyager (upgraded to Family Suite from level M inside cabin!). Loved it. Had 3 huge windows to look out and saw some spectacular sunrises and moonrises. We didn't really notice any motion in the bedrooms or living room but for some reason you could feel the rocking in the bathroom. The only "downside" to this room that the curtains had to be closed after dark if you had any lights on because of the glare it caused on the bridge above -- not really a downside as far as I could tell.

Yes, there was a HUGE walk to go from our cabin to dinner, Adventure Ocean, etc, but we thought that allowed us to try an extra dessert at every meal. Oldest daughter suggested roller blades or scooters the next Voyager class we're on.

Maria - we're also on your 9/10 cruise. I saw your post on the roll call board but haven't found my way back there yet. If you do keep this cabin, we'll have to come visit & have you visit us since we're in 7388 on the very back of the ship (corner aft balcony). See what the differences are! Looking forward to meeting you in just over 2 months! We're a family of 5 with 3 pre-teen boys. Haven't found any other kids on the ship yet though!

Thanks, Marciemi! I look forward to meeting you. We are two grandmothers who have been friends since high school -- we enjoy traveling together and opted for this cruise instead of Europe because of the high cost of travel over there right now. I live in Conn. and she lives in NJ, so we have to figure out a way for her to get to the terminal (I can get the RCCL bus from Hartford). My suggestion to her is that if she can't get someone to drive her there and pick her up, she drive herself and park in the lot for a total of $108. Sounds like a lot, but she'd be paying $65 for the bus anyway. Haven't discussed this with her as yet, as she's been away on a family vacation. Incidentally, I'm sure you're enjoying your three boys -- I have four sons who are considerably past the teen years though, and they continue to be a joy for me. :D

Archived