HAL fans in unexpected places

NapTown Jim

So there I was, sitting in the Paddock grandstand at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first practice on friday morning for Formula 1 and I see a guy with a "Dam Ships" hat down the isle. The guy turned and walked the other way and disapeard into the crowd before I had a chance to talk to him about his cruises, but it made me think that HAL fans are everywhere.

I mean, I know there's lots of folks who love HAL, but for some reason a Grand Prix race is one of the last places I'd expect to see HAL gear. Even though I've fallen in love with this cruise line after only one cruise, I would never wear HAL stuff at a race. I have too much racing T-Shirts and hats to do that.

Soo...how many folks here follow Formula 1 and go to the races, and did you attend the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis this past weekend?

Two more HAL and F1 fans here. Jaguar was my team while my husband is a Mercedes man. We can't stand NASCAR. No, we haven't gone to Indy but a neighbor did take his two sons to last year's debacle. He got them out as quickly as he could before there was any violence. We have gone to the Canadian Grand Prix several years and plan to go next year. Montreal is about a 7 hours drive and like being in a European country. Indy is much further and, with the 2 races only a week apart, we couldn't take that much time off from work.

We love HAl as well and will be on the Noordam on Sep. 8 in the eastern Med.

I work in a fabric store, this is big NASCAR country since we have 2 races at Pocono, and a customer had on his F1 hat on. We had a good talk about the races. So, we're all over.

Two more HAL and F1 fans here. Jaguar was my team while my husband is a Mercedes man. We can't stand NASCAR. No, we haven't gone to Indy but a neighbor did take his two sons to last year's debacle. He got them out as quickly as he could before there was any violence. We have gone to the Canadian Grand Prix several years and plan to go next year. .

I first fell in love with the city of Montreal when I went up there for the 2003 Canadian Grand Prix. I'm sorry your neighbor felt there was going to be violence last year. I was there also, but although the fans were pissed off I never felt they were close to inciting a riot. My personal experience is that F1 fans are generally polite and well mannered. This has been confirmed by members of the Indianapolis Police Department who have said that of the 3 races here (IndyCar, NASCAR and F1) the F1 fans are the best behaved.

FORZA TORO ROSSO!! ;)

When out walking one morning sporting my HAL On Deck for the Cure shirt, I met up with a lady wearing one too. She had been on her first HAL cruise just the week before and reported having had a great time.

No race cars around or anything, but I thought it was rather a nifty thing to have happened.

As I was leaving my office one day, I noticed a co-worker was carrying a HAL shopping bag. I asked her about her cruise and she said she hadn't been on one - her aunt had given her the bag.... :rolleyes:

Have there ever been F1 races at Watkins Glen in New York State? Seems I remember having been to one early-on when race cars started to look like jet planes. Have also watched a Classic Car Grand Prix at Watkins Glen - Buggatis, Maseratis, even something I think was called a Martin 3-wheeler. Loved the sound of those old cars!

Back on topic, I carry my library books, my knitting and my various organization papers/minutes/etc. in HAL canvas bags. I wear my HAL T-shirts when I work out at the Y. Every now and then someone asks me about sailing aboard HAL ships. Have never actually met another HAL passenger in my neck of the woods, though.

I was in one of the local grocery stores before the 4th of July in my "dam ships" polo shirt. Gentleman in the produce section looked at me and asked "Are you a Holland America cruiser?" Yeah!!! :) Don't wear my stuff around much so this actually was the first positive comment. Did get some "grief" from an older lady about my "dam ships" cap.....didn't like me wearing swear words in public. I explained and she just looked at me, turned and walked off. Oh well......

Have there ever been F1 races at Watkins Glen in New York State?

Yes. Watkins Glen was the site of the United States Grand Prix from 1961 to 1980. The track could not afford to upgrade to modern safety standards to keep them coming back.

Maybe I should wear my Maasdam/Canada stuff more often to see if I get any comments. Or..maybe I need to take more HAL cruises to collect more stuff to wear!! :cool:

Thanks for the info. The posts brought back some very pleasant memories.

In regard to wearing HAL stuff, I definitely think the greater the collection the better the chance of meeting a fellow HAL cruiser while wearing it. The only way to enlarge the collection MUST be to take more cruises.

Archived