A little OT, but a great argument for leaving the cell phone at home!

i take the cell... just in case i need it to call the TA or the car service at the port... but... as i walk over the gangplank onto the ship, i shut the phone, throw it into the bottom of the carryon, and there it sits until i get off the plane at my home airport:D

I totally agree. We just got back from a trip to Vegas for my DH birthday. Monday afternoon, just as we were getting back from the Grand Canyon tour, his work cell phone rang. Iternet was down for over 2/3 of the company and apparently only my DH could fix it. The rest of Monday and until our flight back on Tuesday were all work. At least his company gave him back 2 vacation days since it destroyed the end of the trip. I told him next time we are going to go where no cell phones and laptops works, which brings it down to primitive camping these days.

I'm not happy about cell service on ships. It was the one way I could get my husband to relax for an extended period. Now people will be calling him on vacation all the time.

I must say though I used mine on my Explorer cruise last week to check in with my DS(12), it did come in handy. Hope it wasn't too expensive.

While I totaly agree with what the news article is saying we will be taking 1 of our cell phones. It will stay in the room though. On our 1sr/last cruise 911 hapened and we had no way of calling back since they had limitations on who could use the phone lines, so we don't want to go through that again.

I agree with the article as it relates to cell phones and work.

It takes 3 days of vacation to decompress before you can really start enjoying your time off :rolleyes:

We will take our cell phones only to communicate with loved one's while we are away.....no business related calls for us!

We do take one cell along. It's turned off, packed away for the duration of the trip. It is great for any emergency while travelling, such as calling for shuttles, if your flight is cancelled, you can call the airline direct instead of waiting in line. We'll use it at hotels to call our kids, so much cheaper than hotel lines.

We leave emergency numbers with our family and neighbor, with strict instructions to not call for any reason, even a home emergency. We can't do anything about it anyway, so we'll just deal with it when we return.

It's such a shame that some people cannot or will not take a vacation from work. We owned our own business for 16 years, so I know it can be done. We delegated responsibilities, let our customers know in advance we'd be gone, organized to the last detail before we left.

What got me about the article is that there is fear being away from a job. That, to me, would cause so much stress in my life, not just on vacation, but how do people sleep at night? I've never been the corporate type, have no desire to be and actually feel a little sorry for people who do work in the corporate world. (But I do like the clothes!)

Work should be a means to live the life you want, not define you as a person. So many people learn this lesson a little too late in life. I've think been lucky, most of my adult life, I've loved my work, but I love my time off better :) .

More companies need to come to an understanding that their employees need time away from work. Some do and actually police use of company email and voice-mail while an employee is on vacation. I have a boss who is pretty hard-nosed about this and had no expectation that I will be at the company's beck-and-call 24/7. No one is indespensible and if they are, then the business really needs to take a good hard look at that person and position because if that individual were to quit, or get hit by a bus, or whatever the company would be in big trouble. I've worked with some folks who seemed to feel that they were indespensible and guess what? . . . when they left things went on (in some cases better than they were before :D )

Use the cell phone for emegencies. Use your laptop to download vacation pictures, or check out info on your next port.

As a person who truly hates cell phones. I can actually say I wish I had had one when I was stuck in Miami's airport for over 6 hours with a flight delay. I knew my car service was aware but my family wasn't. When I travel from now on (since I do most of my traveling alone) I plan on bringing the dreaded cell phone but leaving it turned off or having a calling card ready to be used in the airport. Anything else can wait til I get home and I do check my email at least once during the trip.:rolleyes:

Now I will say that I have one just in case I am stuck on the road or a true emergency..I don't even know my #,

What did we all do in the days when there was no such thing??

It just drives me nuts when I see people glued to them in the stores, restaurants, beaches...On the road today there were two people who cut me off and guess what...they were both on the phone.

(My thoughts are right up there with people who take walkie/talkie's on vacation...another thread)

I just can't believe that someone thinks they are so indispensable at work that they need to be in touch on vacation..and if you own the company, you really should have someone capable in charge...

Sorry, don't want to rant....I'm just one of those people who survived quite nicely before technology took over our lives...

P.S.. I had to be completely badgered into getting a computer!!! (no regrets there...but some other stuff...c'mon)

Pam

Archived