Princess Grill Champagne Bar QE2

rjms74

Hi,

A friend of mine who left QE2 after a 3night cruise this past Monday 3 July said that she could not have a drink in the PG Champagne Bar as it was cordonned off & effectively closed even between the hours of 7 - 9 pm. Was anyone else on this short cruise and or who can say if this bar was out of bounds & or being refurbished perhaps?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Hi,

A friend of mine who left QE2 after a 3night cruise this past Monday 3 July said that she could not have a drink in the PG Champagne Bar as it was cordonned off & effectively closed even between the hours of 7 - 9 pm. Was anyone else on this short cruise and or who can say if this bar was out of bounds & or being refurbished perhaps?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

We were on the short weekend away on the QE2 and I deliberatley showed my companion around the Princess Grill and then down through the PG Champagne Bar - it wasn't open but it certainly wasn't going thorugh any refurbishment.

When we're on board at the end of the month I'll report back on whether or not it's open for a week-long cruise.

Andhow

Thanks andhow, I guess the bar is not opened on shorter cruises although this is strange as I note that from my friend's programme the bar was advertised along with the Chart Room & this is new - re Vintage champagne & Sevruga Caviar??

How did your 3 night cruise go and did you dine in the PG Restaurant?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

How did your 3 night cruise go and did you dine in the PG Restaurant?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

The cruise was great - for us it was really to see what she was like after a couple of years away - we're going back on in July and then August this year - though there were a lot of "first-timers" on board. We dined in the QG restaurant and couldn't fault the service, food, atmosphere and staff.

Regards

Andhow

the bar was advertised along with the Chart Room & this is new - re Vintage champagne & Sevruga Caviar??

Does this offering in the Princess Grill bar imply that Caviar is not offered free of charge in the Princess Grill anymore?

Together with the remarks about the lowered quality of food and service in the Princess Grill I wonder if I made a mistake by booking my cruise starting Sunday next week. Maybe I should have bee forewarned by the constant lowering of standards in every regard onboard Cunard over recent years.

Maybe I should have bee forewarned by the constant lowering of standards in every regard onboard Cunard over recent years.

And Policemen are getting younger...and we don't have summers like we used to.....Over the last few years I have seen an improvement of standards on Cunard, since they were taken over by a shipping company.......who funnily enough, knows more about running ships than an engineering company....or before them, a property company....now when Cunard was run by Cunard, they didn't call the (now Mauretania) 'Tables of the World' restaurant 'Stables of the World' for nothing.

Peter

PS Have a great time!

now when Cunard was run by Cunard, they didn't call the (now Mauretania) 'Tables of the World' restaurant 'Stables of the World' for nothing.

"Stables" was a Trafalgar House invention!

When Cunard was run by Cunard, it was called Britannia.

Does this offering in the Princess Grill bar imply that Caviar is not offered free of charge in the Princess Grill anymore?

Together with the remarks about the lowered quality of food and service in the Princess Grill I wonder if I made a mistake by booking my cruise starting Sunday next week. Maybe I should have bee forewarned by the constant lowering of standards in every regard onboard Cunard over recent years.

I didn't get any free caviar in January. It wasn't offered to our table. One of our tablemates asked twice. It was an "extra charge".

In the recent programme I saw I did not see the charge for caviar but they offer this on in the Veuve Clicquot bar on QM2 and other ships at an additional charge. I am sure in the Grills you still order caviar off menu or even from the a la carte menu in the QG Restaurant as before. I will look into this when I go on board in the PG Restaurant in September.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I didn't get any free caviar in January. It wasn't offered to our table. One of our tablemates asked twice. It was an "extra charge".

Which restaurant was that? I've never been told that any food was at an extra charge in any of the restaurants.

was the wait staff mad at you or your table mates for some reason ????

My experience Grill class on QE2 is that caviar is always available without any additional charge!!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

It certainly was available a week ago in the Queens Grill. I had it several times.

Why wouldn't you want it several times a week???????

One is reminded of Noel Coward's response to the revelation that not everyone had Champagne for breakfast:

Why ever not?

And if they don't - they should!

That said, it is rumoured that Coward favoured the French line 'none of this mucking about with women and children first......'

Peter

Why wouldn't you want it several times a week?

To give a few reasons: it's tasteless (almost, if it's good Caviar), it doesn't look good (all those black balls just piled there), It's not filling, it's expensive (a plus as well as a minus!), I don't like egg (it's often served with egg as a garnish), I could go on!

The only thing in its favour is that it can make quite a useful garnish.:D

Why wouldn't you want it several times a week???????

Are we still talking about the caviar here, or is this a different thread?

Not partial to caviar, most other things are quite welcome more than several times a week, of couse by that i'm refering to bacon, sausages etc! :-)

I hope so - I'd hate to be missing out on all that sausage and bacon! Not to mention black pudding:)

Ahh....takes me back, the old British Rail Breakfast - a 'Heart Attack on A Plate' - fried eggs, fried bacon, fried sausage, (and it was fried lorne sausage if you got one of the Scottish Pulmans) fried black pudding, fried mushrooms, fried tomato and fried bread. Then there were baked beans - I don't think they fried those!:) I can feel my arteries lining!

Peter

Archived