Christmas Formals???

My daughter, her friend and I are sailing from December 17-24th, .Eastern Caribbean. I am going to the gym everyday in an attempt to lose 100 pounds so I will be buying all new clothes for the trip. (I have lost 30 so far).

Anyway, all of my cruises have been summer cruises. What kind of formal dresses should we be looking for? Is short sleeve still appropriate at Christmas? Do the colors matter?

Also, how chilly does it get during Sailaway from FLL in December?

Any ideas or help is appreciated

Mary

Mary,

You'll be in the carribbean, so it's still summer. Wear summertime formals in the tropics. Short sleeves, sleeveless is just fine.

Congrats on the weight loss and best of luck in your continuation of getting slimmer and healthier!

Jane

It CAN be a little chilly in December in Fort Lauderdale, especially on the water. An outfit with a cute cotton jacket (the new, more fitted style) or a lightweight sweater set (cardigan and shell) would probably be fine for boarding and sailaway. It can get a little colder as the sun goes down, so I'd also pack a light fleece jacket or a lined windbreaker if you plan to be out on deck a lot.

Jane's advice is spot-on for the formals. The only thing I'd add is to bring a wrap or shawl in case you get chilly at night or want to wander the deck.

As for colors, you could stick to a basic dark to medium dark colors suchs as midnight blue, dark green, burgandy, etc. And congrats on the weight loss although I hate your for it! :D

I don't think the colors matter at all. You're in the carribbean after all :)

Very true! On our cruise in early January, we saw ALL colors, including a hot pink formal on a VERY sunburned blonde! Although I tend to wear a lot of black for formals, I really prefer to see color. And it's always summer in the caribbean, so take advantage of it!

Good luck on the weight loss!

Thanks for the advice.

I tend to be very hot natured and I am glad to know that short sleeves will still be appropriate during the Christmas season.

The weightloss is very hard and SOOOO SLOWWWW but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

Mary

We were suppose to cruise the beginning of July but DH ended up in the hospital. Good thing for insurance. I purchased two formals . one sleeveless and black and white. One Navy blue with long sheer sleeves. We rebooked the Golden Princess out of New Orleans on December 30th. I am wearing the same formals I bought for the spring. I am not buying new clothes since I had just bought for the last cruise.

Archived