Any difference between ships?

Iowagal

We are considering a Princess cruise to Alaska in the summer of 2005. I note that the following ships cruise Alaska: Coral Princess, Island Princess, Dawn Princess and Sun Princess. Can anyone tell me if there are many differences between these four ships and if any are preferable? We've previously cruised only on NCL, the Dream and the Sun, so I'll probably have some questions in the future on the Princess cruise line, particularly the dining arrangements. NCL has "Freestyle Cruising" when you can eat at any restaurant and at any time of your choice. We appreciate this arrangement very much, but are interested in seeing the upper interior part of Alaska and Princess looks like a good choice for a land/cruise combination.

Thank you for any assistance.

Add another ship to your list: the Regal Princess.

To answer your questions, the Coral Princess and Island Princess are sister ships. They have about 1950 passengers. The Dawn and Sun Princess are also sister ships. They have (I believe) 1800 passengers. The Coral-class ships are an updated version of the Sun-class ships and are newer. They also have more balcony cabins and offer a few more amenities such as a cigar lounge, internet lounge, etc. Although the Sun-class ships also offer internet access, it's more limited.

All four ships offer both Traditional and Anytime (Personal Choice) dining as well as alternate (fee) dining.

The Regal Princess has only one dining room so it offers only Traditional dining.

In general, Princess is known as the best Alaskan cruise-tour cruiseline. They really have everything covered, having been there for many years.

The Coral and Island Princess are sister ships and are pretty much identical ships.

The Sun and the Dawn are sister ships and also identical to each other.

The Coral and Island are newer ships and have a newer style to them. For this reason, these ships are normally a little more expensive then the Sun and the Dawn Princess. The Coral and Island have a pool with a retractable roof which is preferable if you want to swim in Alaska.

I have sailed the Coral and Dawn to Alaska and I like both ships. You will find bigger balconies on the Coral/Island Princess. If you are going to have more then 2 people in the cabin, I would aim towards the Coral/Island Princess.

The minisuites on the Sun/Dawn are very large but there are only a few of them and they are pricey. There are a lot of minisuites on the Coral/Island but they do not compare to the Sun/Dawn minisuites in size.

Hope this helps a little. I feel like the Sun and Dawn are a little more traditional ship wise (and are well kept and elegent even though they are a few years older) while the Coral and Island Princess are similiar to the Grand class ships (more modern) but a little smaller. I like both ships and when I choose a ship to Alaska this summer - I had a difficult time deciding and let the frequent flier mile dates decide which ship I was going on.

Thanks, Marilyn...

However, something to add: the Horizon Court on all five ships offers 24/7 dining as well. Many of the menu items from the dining rooms are offered in the buffet there. If you don't feel like dressing up, you can go there at any time. During our 15-day Regal cruise in April, many people chose this as their "personal choice" dining at night.

Go for the itinerary and travel dates. You'll find excellent food anytime you want it on Princess.

Just an FYI on internet on the Dawn Princess (and I assume the Sun Princess) - the business center is now open 24 hours a day and is no longer manned by Purser staff. It is using the card swipe system.

It is not in as convenient location as the Coral/Island but it is always available (except for embarking times the first day). There are also laptops that can be checked out 24 hours a day at the Purser's desk.

How is it that you didn't list Diamond or Sapphire, I am saling both of them to alaska this year. I am sure one or both will be there and they offer options none of the others do.

Thanks!! I'm not sure where I got the idea only those 4 I listed cruised Alaska. I assume both the Diamond and Sapphire are newer and larger ships. How do they compare to the "Sun Class" ships?

Do the Diamond and the Sapphire offer the combination land/cruise options? Since we've cruised the Inland Passage with NCL, we definitely want to include the upper interior part of Alaska on our next cruise.

Been on the Sun Princess and Coral Princess, and thought them both to be well designed ships.

The Sun class has the nicest (my opinion) mini-suites in the fleet, but there is nothing wrong with a mini on the Coral.

Reference Regal, although somewhat older and without all the bells and whistles of the newer ships, she also is well laid out. She has the largest (marginally) standard cabins in the Princess fleet, but not too many balcony choices.

Haven't been on Sapphire yet (scheduled for her Mar 05), but have been on her older almost twin, the Golden Princess. Nice ship, but truth be known, a little big for my tastes, and she does not ride well in sea states of Force 8 and above.

The Diamond/Sapphire are doing the roundtrips from seattle so they don't go that far north. Your choices there are the Sun,Dawn,Island,Coral.....I would pick the Island or Coral but then again the prices are so much lower on the Sun and Dawn.

Scott

One other thing to consider when evaluating the two classes of ships if you're going to be booking a balcony: Since the Coral and Island are newer, they have plexiglass balcony "railings" while the Sun and Dawn are more like "windows" cut out of the metal superstructure of the ship. Both are still great for viewing out, but the Coral and Island make it easier to see the water close in to the ship without having to stand at the railing - you can be seated, all bundled up if necessary, and have a good view.

Archived