Logging in from AOL

I have always logged in from AOL, and never had a problem. Sometimes it`s real slow, but that seems to be par for this site. Maybe someone with more computer savvy than me can help......jean:cool:

I use AOL both at work and home with no problems but....I do remember having a problem right after the big CC UpGrade a couple of years ago. I signed into Explorer and did not sign out then signed into AOL and pulled up the CC board with no problem.From that time on I had no problems.

Baseball Lover,

Wish I could help you but I think I have the same problem. It first occured months and months ago when there were some changes to the CC boards. I asked for and got a solution from the CC folks. It worked for a month or so and then stopped working. It was similar to what LaffnVages suggested. I can read everything through AOL but cannot write anything in CC through AOL.

To write to this board, I have to enter the web through Internet Explorer. Then I can do whatever on CC. However, this limits my input into CC as I do all my email through AOL and usually just look over CC from there.

If anyone does have a solution for Baseball Lover, I would like to hear it as well. Thanks.

AOL as an internet provider does OK, but as a browser has many design flaws. So many internet sites do not do well with AOL.

Having worked for a large website and my husband being a software engineer, I can recommend that, even if AOl is your provider you can go to Microsoft website and download Internet Explorer and use that as your browser, or research engine.

One other thing you can do is go to the tools tab "internet options" and delete cookies and delete files. It will clean up your computer hard drive and might solve the problem as well.

And no, neither I nor my husband work for Microsoft or Mozilla Firefox:rolleyes:

Good luck!

I have had AOL for 11 years and have absolutely no problem at all browsing the internet and logging into CC. I use IE from time to time, but really don't like it so I stick with AOL. AOL is not my provider (Adelphia is), but I use AOL almost exclusively because I just like it.

I can't understand why you would have any problem logging onto CC. There have been some difficulties in the evenings over the past few days, but when I couldn't get in on AOL, I couldn't get in from IE either. So when CC is really busy, you can't get here from anywhere!:)

I suspect it's another issue. Are you using AOL 9.0? Do you have broadband or dial-up? I just can't think of any reason for the problem. Could your firewall be blocking you? Are you having a problem with any other sites?

I agree with the person above and you should delete your history and your cookies. Sometimes when you've had trouble logging on, the cookie kinds of gets you "stuck". You have to get that dislodged (so to speak). I don't know the lingo, but I know what happens;) . Be sure, too, to delete all "offline content".

I agree with the person above and you should delete your history and your cookies. Sometimes when you've had trouble logging on, the cookie kinds of gets you "stuck". You have to get that dislodged (so to speak).

Does that mean they have to "toss their cookies"?!? LOL :)

HI, I, TOO HAD A PROBLEM FOR OVER A MONTH TRYING TO GET ON CRUISE CRITIC BOARDS. I SENT AN EMAIL TO CRUISE.COM AND THEIR ANSWER TO ME WAS: THAT AOL IS NOT ALWAYS COMPATIBLE WITH THE CRUISE.COM BOARDS, OR ROLL CALL. THEY ADVISED ME TO GET ON THE FIRST TIME WITH "IE" (INTERNET EXPLORER) AND DON'T SIGN OFF AND I SHOULD HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS. THEY WERE CORRECT, NO MORE PROBLEMS AND I SAVED WHAT HAIR I HAD LEFT AFTER PULLING IT OUT, SLOWLY, FOR A MONTH. HOPE THIS HELPS ABBY:rolleyes:

Yes, I have exactly the same problem. I have AOL 9 and am on broadband and I can never log in to CC. Until three months ago I never had a problem. Then suddenly I could never log on. I thought the problem was with CC. I contacted them and they informed me that the problem was AOL.

I've tried the "fix" mentioned above, but without success. Now if I want to write on the board I just go through Explorer. It's a nuisance, but it does work.

Incidentally, I never have a problem with any other site - only CC. There must be some kind of incompatibility between AOL and CC. :( Shame, because it's my favourite cruise board - I find all the others unhelpful and boring.

Starbright

I hate to jinx myself but I have AOL 9.0 and have not had any problems coming to CC either on AOL or IE. I use IE most of the time but sometimes use AOL.

Don't worry Sail, I think we are alright. As I said I use AOL at work and home. At work I cannot access CC thru IE because of chat board blockers that our compnay has in place but they cannot block anything in AOL. I am lucky, they know I have AOL and because of my position they allow me to have it.

Other than what has been suggested I am not sure how to help those that are having a problem. IS everyone that is having the problem accessing their AOL thru a cable or high speed modem? I do for both work and home but just curious as to how the others access it.

I have been a member of AOL since very nearly the beginning -- since 1992. I keep my account ONLY because I want to keep my e-mail address. Thankfully, AOL is going to be going to a "free account" status for those of us who access via broadband and don't use AOL dial up much, or at all.

I've not accessed CC via AOL since I was last aboard a damship. When traveling I find AOL an easy way to access the internet -- particularly when I have no choice but dial-up -- and this is also true when aboard ship. However, otherwise I NEVER use AOL's software or access CC via AOL's built-in browser. Normally, I use Firefox, Safari, or SeaMonkey, and never have a problem.

This all makes no sense at all since, as I said before, I never have a problem unless I can't get on either through IE or AOL. I have heard about logging in thru IE and then back over to AOL, but sometimes when I've cleared my history and cookies I have to log in again and have no problem at all doing it directly thru AOL. So there's more to it than that.

Greg, you can actually get free AOL email now. My friend cancelled her AOL and still has her old address when she goes to AOL.com. Not sure why it works for her, but it does. She's not been an AOL member for months. Personally I like AOL email because of the appearance and when you go to the free email service, you don't get that.

To each his/her own, right?:)

I have been a member of AOL since very nearly the beginning -- since 1992. I keep my account ONLY because I want to keep my e-mail address. Thankfully, AOL is going to be going to a "free account" status for those of us who access via broadband and don't use AOL dial up much, or at all.

I've not accessed CC via AOL since I was last aboard a damship. When traveling I find AOL an easy way to access the internet -- particularly when I have no choice but dial-up -- and this is also true when aboard ship. However, otherwise I NEVER use AOL's software or access CC via AOL's built-in browser. Normally, I use Firefox, Safari, or SeaMonkey, and never have a problem.

Rev... can you please expound on AOL's "free account"? I too have been with them since the early '90's and use it with broadband access and not dial-up. It is my primary e-mail address, but I rarely use it for browsing (I use Firefox). I tried to search the "free" on AOL and can't find anything.

Thanks!

Following up from yesterday... I use a cable modem with my AOL. I've tried all the tricks (thanks, guys) and it still doesn't work. I'll be curious to try from a dial up connection.

Just for the record (I have to get my two cents in) I LOVE my AOL.

This is the only problem I've had with it.... :D

I LOVE my AOL.

.... :D

:D ... not that many of us left, Baseball Lover;) ! I'm so sorry we couldn't help. BTW, which version of AOL are you using? Do you have the latest one? I have AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE. Just a thought. I don't think you'll find any difference with dial-up ... it just takes a whole lot longer for pages to load. I don't recommend it!!!

Hi georgia, I am sorry about the caps. My older sister is legally blind and we do a lot of "chatting" so i use caps, bold, and large for her and forget to take the "Caps" off when doing other things. I'll try and watch it. I do enjoy the boards and all of the wonderful information i am picking up for my cruise in October. I know the ships have safes but can anyone tell meif there is a charge for them? That is the one thing i haven't seen covered.

Thanx again Abby:rolleyes:

Hi Abby.....Welcome to CC.

Every cabin has a safe and there is no charge to use them.

Some of them operate by swiping a magnetic stripped card....any card will do. An old library card, grocery store card....anything. We never use a valid Visa or M/C or such as we want to lock those cards in the safe.

The other method is to pick your own 4 digit number and program the safe with that number.

I prefer the magnetic strip safes but most others disagree.

After many many years with AOL dial up, I switched to broadband two weeks ago since they had an offer to make this switch at no extra cost. That started two weeks of pure misery. I am somewhat adept at fixing computer issues so I was , of course, very frustrated. After trying many times to clear caches, reload software, and work with AOL Tech's on line, we (the AOL techs and I) came to the conclusion that the problem was with the cable service. After three cable service calls, I found a really great woman tech installer who told me - "It's your cable modem - Toshiba cable modems don't work well with AOL, we should put in a Motorola." We did, and problem solved.

If you go online to AOL Technical help, they will tell you to use the System Information page to clear the IE cache and to reinstall the ACS software. This might solve your problem. Simply right click on the AOL icon on your desktop or on your taskbar and select AOL System Information. Scroll through and select the above mentioned "fixes". The software will guide you through the process. You will have to reestablish your connections after reloading the ACS by selecting the connections tab on your AOL browser sign in page. Again, just follow the directions of the software to reestablish your dial up and cable modem connections. If that doesn't work, I suspect either your firewall is somehow blocking CC or your cable modem is not functioning correctly so that it slows down your response time and the request to CC times out. Hope this helps..

Archived