Logging in from AOL

I'm patting myself on the back for staying with what has worked just fine for me. My time on line is all for fun so I don't care if it takes a little longer to load. I have very few problems and rarely think it excessively slow. If I were to have run into the problems some of you have with broadband, I'd be up a creek. I don't have a clever ten year old living next door. :) The kids today are brilliant with all this tech stuff.

Sail, just so you know in case you ever choose to go to broadband, the problems people are having has nothing to do with whether you're on broadband or dial-up. Remember that I have no problems whatsoever and I'm on boardband. Nor did I have a problem when I was on dial-up. So there's something else at play with the people having problems. AOL has amazing filters, but as a result it can be incompatible until everything falls into place. Most people have no problem on CC once they're established here.

The beauty is that when you're on broadband the pages load instantaneously ... pictures, everything, downloads immediately with no wait at all. When I had dial-up I thought it was fine, too. In fact I said I'd never spend the $$$ to go to broadband. But once I got it I could never go back. With broadband you're signed onto your server all the time. I sign on in the a.m. and I'm on all day long. Unless you have a dedicated line, you just can't do that with dial-up because you're tying up your phone line.

I'm not suggesting for a moment you should get broadband. But don't think it's going to cause problems where none exist now because it would probably be the other way around.:)

I understand what you are saying, Heather, and appreciate your sharing the info.

I do have a dedicated line and I'm always on line. I almost never shut down. Mostly, I only unplug/disconnect if there are thunderstorms predicted in our area. Don't want to risk my new computer getting 'zapped'.

I don't know all that much about this switching over but didn't you have to deal with some 'stuff' when you went over to broadband? Am I remembering incorrectly but didn't you have a frustrating day or two?

Mabe it wasn't you I'm thinking of. ;)

No, Sail, I didn't have any AOL problems. I had problems with my connection through Adelphia, but that was the line into the house. Getting on AOL was always a piece of cake and I never had a problem getting on CC either. I do have a problem with AOL on another cruise board (a brand new one) and have to use IE, but I've never had a problem here (except when everyone else does, too).

Once you experience the speed of broadband you really are spoiled forever so since you have a dedicated line, why switch if you're happy? Like you say ... "if it ain't broke ... :) "

I hope the new ACS solved the problem for you. That fix is a big improvement in connection speed over the old one. Computers are really very fast dumb machines so it's often a case of things not happening in the right timed sequence for the "genie" inside to understand what it's supposed to do next. If you're still not able to connect, I would try AOL Tech help, it's free and they are usually (though sometimes not) able to solve problems quickly. If I don't get a tech that seems to know what's up, I simply say thanks and goodbye and log on again - you never get the same person (or same country for that matter) a second time.

Canoeny, thanks for your concern but I'm not the one having a problem connecting!:) I've had AOL for 11 years and been connecting with CC for years ... never a problem at all. It was others here who were having some trouble.

BTW, I've noticed no difference connecting to AOL with the ACS update ... seems exactly the same to me. But I always just sign on in the a.m. and I'm on all day. The difficulty I have going thru AOL is to another site entirely. That site knows there are big problems with AOL users. I get on that site, but can't post. No biggie. I just use IE for that site. I find AOL Tech Help is very spasmodic ... sometimes they're amazing, often not. Lately I find I have much better results when I get someone in a foreign land ... who knows why :confused: ?

Archived