Bad hours in Kids Program?

bizeebeth

I've read on the family board that NCL has awful hours for its kids' program. Their website, however, shows hours that look smiliar to Carnival (9-12, 2-5, 7-10) with breaks for lunch and dinner.

Please let me know if you've used NCL's kids program and if so, is this true??? We are trying to book an Alaskan cruise and we'll really need the indoor entertainment since the weather may not be good on sea days!

Thanks,

Elizabeth

I've been on 2 Alaska cruises (May and September) and have yet to encounter bad weather. We did experience a storm, but that was in the middle of the night.

Can't help you with the kids' program though.

I've read on the family board that NCL has awful hours for its kids' program. Their website, however, shows hours that look smiliar to Carnival (9-12, 2-5, 7-10) with breaks for lunch and dinner.

Please let me know if you've used NCL's kids program and if so, is this true??? We are trying to book an Alaskan cruise and we'll really need the indoor entertainment since the weather may not be good on sea days!

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Just back from the Dawn (6/24-7/1) and had our 3yr. old daughter in Kid's Crew. I didn't have any problem with the hours. It closes twice for lunch and dinner (12-2pm and 5-7pm). Even the crew needs a break! LOL...

Actually, if you want to eat dinner without the kids, make reservations after 7pm so you can drop 'em off and enjoy a dinner for two (don't know with whom you're travelling). We often ate dinner around 6pm with our daughter and sometimes dropped her off afterwards depending on what they planned on doing with the kids that night. You pick them up at 10pm but can pay for late-night group sitting after 10pm...I think it's like $5 or $6 per hour...we didn't do that.

All in all, we had no problems with the hours. Two sea days we dropped her off around 9:30am and picked her up at 11:30am so we could relax at the pool (once we found chairs) and then she ate lunch with us, went back to the room for an afternoon nap, and by the time she woke up, we were getting ready for dinner and just enjoying the ship with her.

I highly recommend Kid's Krew...can't speak about the other age groups but we were very pleased with the 2-5 group and the providers who worked with them...the activities sounded like so much fun and they really kept the kids entertained...I know this to be true because my daughter was apprehensive about going but was hi-fiving the counselors and talking to us about what they did each time! :)

If you have other questions, let me know! I'll do my best!

You will always get some who complain and they are the ones we seem to hear from. My experience (not my own) but from those I have spoken with, they are very happy with almost everything the kids program offers including the hours. Of course you can't just drop them off at 7am and pick them up at 9pm and I doubt you are the type that would want to do that anyway.

As for the weather, sometimes it can be beautiful, others not so. You are right to be thinking about this, but you may be really surprised. Swimming weather, maybe not but still it may be very pleasant. As 7Seas said, even Sept and May can be very nice.

As for the weather, sometimes it can be beautiful, others not so. You are right to be thinking about this, but you may be really surprised. Swimming weather, maybe not but still it may be very pleasant. As 7Seas said, even Sept and May can be very nice.

On our Alaskan cruise in May 2002, we were swimming outside in the Ketchikan port...where it always rains...we were fortunate to have a beautiful and sunny day...the locals kept telling us how lucky we were! LOL...I was wearing flip flops in Juneau the next day as well...go figure! :)

Ok, I was to Alaska last year on the Star and we always use Kids Crew. My 8 year old daughter LOVES kids crew.

First, Alaskan cruises: It was only warm enough for her to swim the first two days of the cruise (Departure day and the first sea day.) After that it was too chilly (and she can handle really cold weather and water!). We cruised in the middle of July last year.

With that said, she didn't always go to kids club either during the afternoons because she liked some of the craft activities offered for adults. (she generally went to the night activities.)

Those who complain about Kids Crew are the ones who think it should take care of the kids while they are on the cruise so the parents don't have to! If you are taking a family vacation, keep the kids with you for the most part. Kids Crew is fine if you use it as it is intended to be used as: a chance for parents to have some time away from their children, especially in the evening when there are adult shows and games and parents want a quiet drink, etc..

The biggest whiner parents about Kids Crew complain about 4 things:

1.) Kids Crew IS NOT open while in port

2.) Kids Crew IS NOT open past 10:00 p.m.

3.) Kids Crew age ranges are STRICTLY enforced. Your child's age on date of embarkation determines their assigned group for the week, no exceptions.

4.) Kids Crew does not accept children under 2 and if your child is not potty trained, you will be given a beeper that will buzz when your child needs changed. (I happen to see one go off during the evening show on the Dawn two weeks ago. The parent said: "time to change the diaper" and left the theater.

Now to help with #'s 1 and 2, what NCL does offer during port times and after 10:00 p.m. is group babysitting which you have to pay extra for. This is not organized activities like the 7-10 p.m. period, just babysitting for a fee. You also have to sign up for the babysitting ahead of time.

To me, NCL's Kids Crew is a great thing and helps to give parents a chance to be alone or enjoy some adult things while not interfering with the idea of a true "family vacation." (where the family does much together.)

If you want to dump your kids for the whole day so you can do your own thing, then NCL Kids Club will dissapoint. If you want your child to be able to play with other children their age, have fun, and take part in organized activities for some parts of your cruise, then NCL Kids Club will be perfect for you.

I found the hours for the Kids' Crew to be acceptable. If you're the type of person looking for 24/7 babysitting for your children, you may want to consider bringing a nanny (or a grandparent :p ). Even though the "free" program is not available after 10:00 p.m. (how late do you want your kids up?), or on port days, you can do the group babysitting, which I think was $5/hr (very reasonable). We had to have a beeper for my 2 y.o. and I would carry around a diaper in my purse :eek: and when I was beeped, it only took a few minutes to run down and change her. The Sun's KC had a changing room with wipes, so I didn't need to carry those.

We had such a great experience with the KC, that we're looking at going again in April 2007. My now 3 y.o. talks about it at least once a day.

Is there a night the kids have "dinner" at the club?

They didn't have that on my cruise. What they did have was Family Pizza Making night where the parents had to be in attendance and everyone had dinner together. They do not take your kids to dinner for you one night.

They will, however, take your kids to see two of the night shows in the Stardust Theatre (on the Dawn)...you must sign them in by 7:00pm on those two nights and they go as a group to see the 7:30pm show. Our 3yr. old loves seeing the shows so we brought her with us for that.

Hi:

We were on the NCL Majesty, Boston to Bermuda for the past two summers. The Kids Crew staff took the kids to dinner in the dining room one evening during the week.

We loved the Kids Crew! We thought that the hours were fine with us! Our son is 11 and our daughter is 8 and they are looking forward to being part of the Kids Crew for the 3rd time this August on the Spirit.

Have a great time!

Just looked through the Kids Club brochure that lists activities from the Dawn cruise two weeks ago. THey have a "Family Dinner Night" where families are invited to dine with the kids club counselors, but not a dinner where parents can dump their kids for dinner.

Just looked through the Kids Club brochure that lists activities from the Dawn cruise two weeks ago. THey have a "Family Dinner Night" where families are invited to dine with the kids club counselors, but not a dinner where parents can dump their kids for dinner.

I understand what you are saying Bizeebeth.

We are planning a cruise onthe Pride of Hawaii. Since we will be in port every single day, it means the kid's krew will only be happening from 7-10pm. Our kids enjoy going to dinner with us and seeing the show - so will have very little time in kid's krew.

It's certainly not a matter of wanting 24/7 babysitting or not wanting to be with our children. This IS a family holiday and we will do lots and lots together, but it is nice to have options. For example, if we return to the ship early from an excursion and the kids would like to spend some time at the club it would be nice if they could. If the kids still have some energy after dinner and the show (our kids often stay up late on weekends and vacations) and would like to visit kid's krew while we go for a nightcap it would be nice if this was accommodated without extra charges. Yes, I know that we can pay extra, but who wants to keep forking over money for things that have been included free of charge on other lines?

On our last cruise (Disney) the kid's club was open from 9am to 1am. This certainly doesn't mean that we dumped our kids there for 16 hours a day - they probably spent about 4 hours a day there, loved it and made new friends. It was just nice to have options. For example, after going ashore together as a family - they loved going to the club for a couple of hours while my husband had a pre-dinner game of basketball and I attended a port lecture and browsed in the boutiques. Then we would go to dinner and the show as a family and, afterwards, they would often return to the club for a couple of hours to play games, have a pajama party, watch a movie, etc while my husband and I went for a drink or a moonlight stroll - all very pleasant and enjoyable for everyone, but will not fit in with Kid's Krew hours.

Hi, we were on the Star in March and I loved the kids crew. My boys were 5 and 2 at the time. I think they did take the boys one night for dinner. I loved that. There was also a pizza making lunch they did with the kids. I thought the hours were great. Maybe someone was complaining about the hours for port days where it is only 7-10. Not sure though. If you have any more questions just ask!

I understand what you are saying Bizeebeth.

We are planning a cruise onthe Pride of Hawaii. Since we will be in port every single day, it means the kid's krew will only be happening from 7-10pm. Our kids enjoy going to dinner with us and seeing the show - so will have very little time in kid's krew.

It's certainly not a matter of wanting 24/7 babysitting or not wanting to be with our children. This IS a family holiday and we will do lots and lots together, but it is nice to have options. For example, if we return to the ship early from an excursion and the kids would like to spend some time at the club it would be nice if they could. If the kids still have some energy after dinner and the show (our kids often stay up late on weekends and vacations) and would like to visit kid's krew while we go for a nightcap it would be nice if this was accommodated without extra charges. Yes, I know that we can pay extra, but who wants to keep forking over money for things that have been included free of charge on other lines?

On our last cruise (Disney) the kid's club was open from 9am to 1am. This certainly doesn't mean that we dumped our kids there for 16 hours a day - they probably spent about 4 hours a day there, loved it and made new friends. It was just nice to have options. For example, after going ashore together as a family - they loved going to the club for a couple of hours while my husband had a pre-dinner game of basketball and I attended a port lecture and browsed in the boutiques. Then we would go to dinner and the show as a family and, afterwards, they would often return to the club for a couple of hours to play games, have a pajama party, watch a movie, etc while my husband and I went for a drink or a moonlight stroll - all very pleasant and enjoyable for everyone, but will not fit in with Kid's Krew hours.

I'm sure you paid a lot more $$$ for the Disney Cruise and even though you consider the kids club "included" I think if you had to pay NCL's $5/hr charge it would probably come out cheaper in the end. (did that make sense?:rolleyes: )

We haven't sailed NCL yet, only RCCL and we gladly paid the $5/hr so the girls (9, 11, & 13) could hang out till 1am. They LOVED the club and it was always their choice to come and go as they pleased. That's the one thing they are not looking forward to on NCL - They CANT sign themselves in and out. Even with parental permission. I'm not to happy about that either. :(

~Connie

Connie, I know what you mean about signing in and out, but still it is for safety reasons. Let me relate a story to you: it concerned a friends daughter who was about 11 at the time. This was before the days of signing in and out: she left about 9pm with a friend. At 1am neither were back in their cabins. Can you imagine the panic the parents experienced as well as the councilors: Well it turned out they were simply sitting in a hallway visiting and all was well that ended well, but what if something had happened? This was on NCL btw. And now your comment on Disney: yes, the price for a Disney cruise is much higher plus I have known a few families whose kids actually prefered other lines to Disney. This isn't meant to blast Disney in anyway, it is a great cruise for families, especially those with kids under 10, but each line has it's own policies as you already know. I hope the OP finds NCL a great cruising experience and the kids enjoy the kids program; NMNita

Connie, I know what you mean about signing in and out, but still it is for safety reasons. Let me relate a story to you: it concerned a friends daughter who was about 11 at the time. This was before the days of signing in and out: she left about 9pm with a friend. At 1am neither were back in their cabins. Can you imagine the panic the parents experienced as well as the councilors: Well it turned out they were simply sitting in a hallway visiting and all was well that ended well, but what if something had happened? This was on NCL btw. And now your comment on Disney: yes, the price for a Disney cruise is much higher plus I have known a few families whose kids actually prefered other lines to Disney. This isn't meant to blast Disney in anyway, it is a great cruise for families, especially those with kids under 10, but each line has it's own policies as you already know. I hope the OP finds NCL a great cruising experience and the kids enjoy the kids program; NMNita

NMNita, I totally agree about the safety issue and my girls are always told that they must stick with a buddy or two whether we are on a ship, at a resort, amusement park, in the mall or walking around town! I just got really spoiled on RCCL with not having to constantly run back & forth up to camp. The girls loved the camp sooooo much and if NCL's is just as fun I'm probably worrying for nothing - they WONT want to ever come out! :D

I just read the OP's other post and didn't realize how port intensive the cruise is. I guess it could be rather expensive if they decide to leave the kids onboard while they explore on shore. Best of Luck OP!!!! Enjoy your cruise!!!

~Connie

I'm sure you paid a lot more $$$ for the Disney Cruise and even though you consider the kids club "included" I think if you had to pay NCL's $5/hr charge it would probably come out cheaper in the end. (did that make sense?:rolleyes: )

We haven't sailed NCL yet, only RCCL and we gladly paid the $5/hr so the girls (9, 11, & 13) could hang out till 1am. They LOVED the club and it was always their choice to come and go as they pleased. That's the one thing they are not looking forward to on NCL - They CANT sign themselves in and out. Even with parental permission. I'm not to happy about that either. :(

~Connie

Yes, that does make sense - thank you for pointing it out in that way.

Last year on the SUN, we had our 9 year old grandson and we had no problem with the hours. There was even one night they did have "A Parent's night out" in which the kids ate together and then went to the show together so that was our evening out alone. We are going on Holland America this year and they do not do that. So I think that NCL has a good program. Both lines offer additional baby sitting to midnight at the same charge of $5 per hour per child, which is very reasonable if you ask me. We perfer to eat our meals as a family so for us it worked out fine. I have nothing but good things to say about the KIDS CREW. I also like the policy of not letting the kids sign themselves out. I think this has more good points then bad. Not every child (except mine:rolleyes: ) is a perfect gentleman and this is what seems to irratate other passengers more then anything else when they see the kids by themselves. So I think it is also not only for safety (which is the main concern) but for the comfort of other passengers..... However.... They do let you know what is planned for the activities for that day and if the kids do not want to do them, then dont check them in. Nothing says they HAVE to go there. Also looking at the ship's point of view, You take your children to the KIDS CREW and what would happen if, heaven forbid, they left or checked themselves out without your permission and something happened, there is liability concerns. The first thing a distraught parent or guardian is going to say is that "YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN WATCHING THEM!" In my opinion, a child or even a young teen is NOT responsible enough to be their own keeper... Most sincerely, Dan

Archived