Chilled Fruit Soups?

lvsatman

The chilled fruit soups were an NCL signature dish..so to speak. I always enjoyed them each evening at dinner. I don't believe they were exactly healthy...I heard rumors that the base ingredient was ice cream...do not know that for sure. But they were always interesting, flavorful and just a little bit sweet. I cannot remember the exact flavors that were offered (a different one each night) but I was always willing to try them. Unfortunately, these soups have basically been eliminated from the "new menu"...which has condensed the previously separate appetizer, soup and salad courses on the menu into one category called "starters". Hence, there is usually only one, possible two soup offerings.....and on our Star cruise this past May...I did not see the chilled soup except for maybe one night...maybe! I did see one offered on the lunch menu on the one day we did have lunch in the Versailles dining room.

This change was about the only complaint I have about the new menu.

If you see an offering of a chiiled soup...go for it....they are GOOD!!

Unfortunately they no longer serve them at dinner time, only for lunch. But they are YUMMY! On the Star from June 18-25 we had about 4 different chilled fruit soups. Banana, Apricot & Peach, Cherry and that's all I can remember right now. But DO order them - they are wonderful!

Hikini:D

I don't believe they were exactly healthy...I heard rumors that the base ingredient was ice cream...do not know that for sure.

At one of the cooking classes held on the Dream a year ago, the chef told attendees that the base for the chilled fruit soups was yogurt.

Yes, I'd like to see them return to the dinner menus, too. It wouldn't surprise me if NCL dropped them because the meat-and-potatoes-and-tomato-soup crowd (who are unwilling to try something different) wrote negatively about them on their feedback forms.

At one of the cooking classes held on the Dream a year ago, the chef told attendees that the base for the chilled fruit soups was yogurt.

Yogurt is the newer "leaner" base that most go with...it used to be heavy cream....ouch to the fat count there :) but IMO worth every incremental pound.

Actually I was sorely disappointed when NCL removed them from the menu at dinner. Can't remember which one I had on our last cruise at lunch but it was only a shadow of what they used to be taste wise.

I will be sailing on the Jewel in November (I cannot wait!) and was wondering if anyone had a link to or had scanned the new menus, so I could check them out in advance? Any specialty restaurant menus out there for the Jewel as well?

Thanks in advance.........

Chilled soups were one of my favorite parts of the menu. The most unusual one I remember was the jalapeno-watermelon.

Yes...they called it Fire and Ice. It was good but it was my least favorite of the chilled soups. The banana and mango, or just banana have been my favorites. Peach is amazing too.

One that we had on the Sky in 2003 and have never seen again was chilled chocolate and cherimoya. Delicious!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS.... THEY ELIMIATED THE FRUIT SOUPS!! Guess I'll have a talk with the head chef on the Majesty.. are they kidding.. Of course they were fattening and probably had a high sodium count, but where else on a warm weather cruise could y ou enjoy them...Now, you all talk about the NEW menus...can they be seen anywhere? One of my favorite dishes, usually served at lunch is braised lamb shanks..has anybody seen them.. Okay.. how about the famous NCL raisin rolls i the morning.. have they disappeared too. Thirty days down and counting to our eleventh cruise on the Majesty to Bermuda

We were on the PoAm 2 weeks ago, and there was a chilled fruit soup offered every night that we ate in the main dining room. I believe we ate there 4 nights. Also, I think there was usually some other type of soup offered, because one night there was also a seafood soup, and I was torn between having it or the chilled. Maybe it's just the PoAM still having chilled soup :confused:

Leigh Ann

Yes, I'd like to see them return to the dinner menus, too. It wouldn't surprise me if NCL dropped them because the meat-and-potatoes-and-tomato-soup crowd (who are unwilling to try something different) wrote negatively about them on their feedback forms.

;) you are correct, it's yogurt so at least healthful !

The Bluberry soup is my favorite. I order 2 bowls because I know that that is the only time (untill my next cruise ) that I will have it. Now I have a big question, when did they switch to yogurt base, and does it affect the taste? I have 35 days untill my cruise, and to be honest I have been craving my Bluberry soup fix, LOL

Donna

I hope that they still serve Gazpacho, my absolute fave. I had it on Carribean night on the Majesty. I'll settle for lunch, if that's the new time.

It's not fattening, but can be veeerrry spicy.

BTW, didn't Lattitude's magazine feature chilled soup recipes at one time?

The Bluberry soup is my favorite. I order 2 bowls because I know that that is the only time (untill my next cruise ) that I will have it.

Donna

I've been know to go back to eat just before they close just for the soup!

But now, it looks like 2 at lunch.

-Monte

Archived