boston--getting to cheers

musicmansmom

The "original" Cheers looks nothing at all like the Cheers on TV, but is not hard to get to, as it's near the Boston Common and the State House, on the Beacon Street side of the Park. No way you could walk it from the ship, nor can you really walk to anything from the ship, as Black Falcon Cruise Terminal is over a mile from the city proper (crossing Fort Point Channel), although there are public transit options you can utilize (check other threads here about Silver Line, etc).

If you want to see a Cheers that looks like the one on TV, there's one at Faneuil Hall, which is about 2 miles from the pier (again, lots of public transit options), which looks just like the TV one, and has souvenirs as well.

thank you so much for answering my question. i was going to try to walk as much as i could in the ports but now i have a bad foot which is going to prevent me from doing that. i want to do the freedom trail ( not on foot now :mad: ) and go to cheers. i will save your post and use it as a reference. :) dusty.

Hi musicmansmom,

We took the old town trolley. You can get a day or 2 day ticket. It's a hop on hop off that stops at many freedom trail stops. We got off at Arlington St. and walked to the corner, crossed Tremont St., walked through the public Garden and crossed over to Cheers. The Trolley includes a harbor cruise and also stops close to several "Legal Seafood" restaurants. Best clam chowder in the world, among many other menu items. The "T" is the public transportation. They have a website to check routes and fares as does the Old Town Trolley.

Hope this helps,

GN

Hi musicmansmom,

We took the old town trolley. You can get a day or 2 day ticket. It's a hop on hop off that stops at many freedom trail stops. We got off at Arlington St. and walked to the corner, crossed Tremont St., walked through the public Garden and crossed over to Cheers. The Trolley includes a harbor cruise and also stops close to several "Legal Seafood" restaurants. Best clam chowder in the world, among many other menu items. The "T" is the public transportation. They have a website to check routes and fares as does the Old Town Trolley.

Hope this helps,

GN

thanks alot gn. i dont know why but im very confused about boston. i will go to the old town trolley site and check it out. that is exactly what i want to do as far as getting around. was it easy to get on from the ship. i have lost my bearings for the boston area and have no idea where i would get on. thanks alot, music

Hi Music,

You can download a brochure of Trolley stops. I didn't realize that you were doing this on a port day, we did ours post cruise and were staying in a downtown hotel. The ship should have a shuttle from the pier to downtown stopping at Quincy Market or on Atlantic Avenue at the far end of the market complex. You can get the trolley there. If you buy your tickets online you'll be all set. You can do the trolley tour and make that your last stop and shuttle back to the ship. They were running about every 20 minutes from the ship and back. Make sure you leave yourself at least an hour to get back to the ship before sail away. I think the Trolleys run 9-5. They have a very good website and there's a link to a downtown street map which shows the stops in relation to the attractions.

The Cheers mentioned above is at Quincy Market near Fanuel Hall. The original is on Beacon street across from the Public Gardens. We've been to both. Most cruise lines offer a shuttle. If it's not advertised ask at the shore excursion desk. We found out by word of mouth.

In 2002 we took the free ship's shuttle back to the Rotterdam at Black Falcon terminal from Quincy Market. In 2003 we had a 2-day ticket for the trolley and did the whole loop, the harbor cruise and the USS Constitution too. Last summer we were already in town after we got off the Maasdam.

What ship will you be on? How long is the ship in Boston? I think we left at 6pm.

GN

gn

thank you so much for the info. i will check the trolley site again and get all set for the time we have there. i appriciate your help. i am on the carnival victory. you are in port from 2 untill 10pm. it makes it pretty tough too be able to do anything and still have the trolleys running to catch after 5. i will manage though to still enjoy the city.

You can use Fanueil Hall as your "hub". And go from there. You can walk to the Cheers near the park, but with a bad foot that may not be a great idea. The trolley would work for you as a great way to get on and off and have a good day while in the city. Maybe while at the Original Cheers you can go across the street and take a swan boat ride as well. Those are neat. Good luck.

im glad the '' hall '' is the hub. another problem is we are in port from 2 untill 10pm. it makes it pretty tough to catch the trolley to get places and also get back to the ship. i think it is a '' carnival conspiracy to book on of their tours '' :D . it is also our first formal night -- go figure :( . i will just have to get my ''' real ''' lobster somewhere else ;) .

gn's suggetion of going to the fartherst point first and coming back is what i plan to do now. no matter what i am going to have a great time in boston and enjoy my port day. thanks again, music

Just a thought: there are multiple trolley companies. When we did this cruise before, one of the companies came to the pier. If you buy ticket ahead of time it may be the wrong one. Better to see what they have and not save the dollar, but the time. Commentary into town was all about the Big Dig, and sights passed.

Just a thought: there are multiple trolley companies. When we did this cruise before, one of the companies came to the pier. If you buy ticket ahead of time it may be the wrong one. Better to see what they have and not save the dollar, but the time. Commentary into town was all about the Big Dig, and sights passed.

thanks alot for the help. i will wait till i get there and see which one is the best for me to use . :)

Everyone always wants to go to "Cheers". The only thing about the original so called Cheers was that you walk down the stairs and in to the bar. That was it. Believe me, not worth waiting for. Once there all say they don't want to stay or pick up a souvineer. I am just happy that my out of town guests, whether work related or relatives, have forgotton about the show:p

Your 'real" lobster can be found in Halifax, Portland, Boston.

Just put on the bib and have a feast.:D

Can somebody give me the exact web site for the Old town Trolley? We will be in Boston two days pre cruise in October and I am thinking of taking one of the trolleys instead of trying to walk everywhere or do the subway. Even if we know where we are going I'd rather have a trolley driver tell me some interesting things along the way. Since we won't be at the pier there won't be anybody "meeting" us so any other links to trolley companies would be welcome also, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am from and still live in Boston (North End). The REAL Cheers Bar is located across the street from the Federal Reserve Bank near South Station. The Cheers from the TV show is across from the Public Garden where the Public Garden and the Common meet. It is on Beacon Street. The closest T stops are Park Street (Red and Green Lines) and Arlington (Green Line).

To be honest you will be disappointed as it is not like the TV show's bar at all.

Bill

thanks bill for letting me know. i have the mission of getting t-shirts from cheers for coworkers. so i will be making a stop there to pick some up. then i can walk around and do my own thing. the tip about the t really helps too.

Hi,

I am from and still live in Boston (North End). The REAL Cheers Bar is located across the street from the Federal Reserve Bank near South Station. The Cheers from the TV show is across from the Public Garden where the Public Garden and the Common meet. It is on Beacon Street. The closest T stops are Park Street (Red and Green Lines) and Arlington (Green Line).

To be honest you will be disappointed as it is not like the TV show's bar at all.

Bill

I always thought that bar was "Three Cheers"

On Congress Street

or am I thinking of another similarly named place?

Once you get into Boston..it is considered a "walkable" city..except if you have a bad foot. lol There is also a Hard Rock Cafe on Boylston Street...not that far from the real Cheers.. Don"t let the hype about Legal drive you crazy.. there are great seafood restaurants in Boston and one of the best is a block before the Hard Rock Cafe across from the Trinity Church.. and Copley Square..

Skipjacks.. they have a fab. chowder, and lobster roll or lobster on a plate of greens.. and their best dessert......HOT chocolate bread pudding...with whipped cream to die for... I know there is the Old Town Trolley, but we love the Duck Boats, but book that in advance..as a native I couldn't believe how much fun it was..http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/homeport.cfm?ID=7

what a super helpful post. i am going to print it out and take it with me. the food made my mouth water. my foot is getting better ( cotizone shots ) are working this time, so i will be able to do more walking than i thought. thank goodness. i cant wait to get there and see boston and take in all the great things about it.

thanks so much for the tips. i can taste that lobster and dessert already :p .

Archived