Do you want our ships to look like this?

karmac

I know many of you would like our ships to be newer & bigger but do you really want them to look like this? I know I don't.

1117703620_Expoftheseas.jpg.cbf1b45f173f11a9e0f503fbac33e128.jpg

RCI's Explorer of the seas

Karen

You're right Karen,

That looks like an ant's nest.

That would be stressful trying to have a relaxing holiday with all of THAT. :rolleyes:

From the pics of the Sun I have seen, it is usually not too uncomfortably packed, which is reassuring as I get really uncomfortable around crowds. :o

The mega ships are designed to take a lot of people,there buffet is a lot better designed than our Sun/Star so the flow is better. Same with the Pools,that photo looks busy and it is as thats the childrens pool and a lot of people sunbathe around that area to watch their kids. There are several more pools on each ship some child free and undercover. Leaves our pool on Sun for dead I'm afraid. It must be the worst pool ever to swim in. As its to deep to touch the bottom so whenever the waves hit you,you can't do anything about it :eek: If you want to see pics of some lovely ships have a look at Royal Caribbeans site

I was on the sister ship Voyager of the Seas last October, and I can assure you it's not really that bad. Sure there were 3.000 or so passengers on board, but we NEVER felt crowded. The ship was big enough for people to have their own space. The only place it got crowded was on deck during the day. but doesn't it get busy on all ships?

No problems with the buffet (only ate breakfast there), even on port days. Theatre was HUGE, and sat 1,500, but was never full. The Main dining room was magnificent, and sat 1800.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/55516618/1055517186010153496uehSzo

http://community.webshots.com/photo/221082472/1221384265061704376MIJcdE

There was also the Royal Promenade, that had the shops, some bars, some eating places. It only got busy when it was change of dinner sittings.

Day:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/341028775/1341044179014163621spWqKq

Night:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/341086203/1341119001014163621TvxTZA

The only place that got really crowded was Studio B. This was where the Ice rink was, plus other activities, such as battle of the sexes. It only sat 500 or so, and filled up quickly. For the Ice shows it was a ticketed event (free), which was first in,first served for the four shows. Unfortunately it was a bit rough going up the East coast, and there were a few mishaps, but it was still fantastic.:)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/58381200/1059110346043047638OjiDjM

http://community.webshots.com/photo/491639800/1496291934047360987GQbBVv

And remember if it all gets too much, just retire to your stateroom, and enjoy the privacy of your own balcony (if you have one), and watch the beautiful ocean views.:cool:

We're downsizing for our next cruise, to a 2,670 passenger capacity ship. Looking at the deck plans, this will be a lot more crowded, with less public spaces, and a lot smaller too.

PS The pictures are not mine. Thanks to webshots.com.

What cabin are you in Past it? We were in 7278. The room was smaller than what we had in Alaska, but still found it to be great. Balcony was great!! Found it to be quite large, and private. Typical two chairs and a table, and yes there is a light outside, though it is not that effective. Plenty of storage space as well. The lounge came in handy to place things on (I prefer to lay on the bed and watch TV), as did the coffee table.

The only downside was, we were too far from the lifts. Since my mother is not that mobile, we prefer to be close to the lifts, but she managed.

You will also notice 'the hump'. These cabins are supposed to be great, and most sought after, though personally I don't think I'd like it.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I'll be thinking of you!! I'm actually leaving on the 29th of Sep to do my cruise, which departs the 7th of October from LA to the Mexican Riviera.

btw Past It, how long is your cruise? Mine is only 7 nights.:(

Great shots Auzziecruiser, I wanted to do that but didn't know how to post the pics on.Looking at these sort of pics 2 years ago is what started me wanting to go on one,and its nearly here :eek: I sail on 30 Sept from Barcelona for 7 nights on Voyager. I have a balcony D1 on 10, 1370 right down the back.So I will be doing the long walk too. I also use aussiecruiser as my name on Trip Advisor.:D What was your reaction when you first saw her?I reckon I will be blown away.I wish it was a longer cruise,don't know why they only made them 7n,the Brilliance does 10-14....Have a good cruise

Those megaships would overwhelm our small South Pacific ports, but I think they are great for the market they have been designed for-US/Carribean. In fact, we will be doing one of those RCI megaships to the western Caribbean in late 2008.

Past It, the size will blow you away. If you think it looks big in the photos, just wait till you see her for the first time. We had 9 nights onboard, and quickly got to know the ship. It is quite easy to navigate around. and I found it hard to get lost.

There is a lot to explore and enjoy while onboard. You can learn to ice skate, going rock climbing, play putt putt golf, go rollerblading, go to the gym, go the the adult solarium (very nice), enjoy a drink in the Viking Crown lounge, have a hamburger and milkshake at Johnny Rockets diner, have a massage or facial etc etc. The list is endless. My biggest regret was not climbing the wall, even though I am scared of heights.

You will have a blast, and the week will fly by, and you will defiantely want to cruise on her again. I sure do!! She is a magnificant ship that will win your heart.

Unfortunately, the Voyager class of ships don't do Mexico, otherwise I would have defiantely sailed on her again over her other competitors, regardless of price.

I agree. I do not like crowds and that looks too full and I would feel uncomfortable.

The 5 Voyager-types and the even larger Freedom are VERY big and even 3200-3300 do not crowd the ship. Take the GRT (a volume measurement) and divide by the number of passengers aboard to get the space available for each passenger. Also, there are no cafeteria lines in the Lido buffet, just 16 different food islands (some duplicates) so even on busy pool days things are not crowded.

From the posts here, it seems that the Pacific Sun is an older converted Carnival ship. If you want to see crowded try something like the Carnival Victory, 3,000 people @ 102,000 GRT vs. a Voyager type, 3200 people @ 142,000 GRT. The Voyagers are too big to go thru the Panama Canal so there are no plans to move any to the Pacific Ocean for Mexico and Alaska. Their extreme width along with a length of well over 1100 ft ensures that they always seem roomy and not too crowded.

My biggest regret was not climbing the wall

When we dock next to these big ships with climbing walls on them some of the passengers often ask us if P&O will ever have them.

Our stock reply is "The only way you will get a P&O guest to the top of a climbing wall is to put a buffet on top of it" !!!

If there was a rock climbing wall on P&O Aust I would climb it regardless of wheather there is a buffet on top:p . What I want to know is, if you are on a ship so big, do you feel like you're on a ship?

Karen

If there was a rock climbing wall on P&O Aust I would climb it regardless of wheather there is a buffet on top:p . What I want to know is, if you are on a ship so big, do you feel like you're on a ship?

Karen

You definitely know you are on a ship except when in the Promenade, the 4 deck high "Main Street". RCI as a design feature always puts lots of glass on their ships and while (OK now you know I am US and not UK or AUS) the Voyagers have less than the Radiance or Vision types there is still plenty of glass in the Lido buffet and the Viking Crown complex. If you want glass, try the smaller 90,000 GRT Radiance type which features a 50 ft wide wall of glass running from deck 4 to the top deck (13) The main elevator bank runs along this section so with the glass walls in the elevators and the side of the ship you never lose sight of the water. It is not uncommon for people to spend 10 minutes just riding the elevators here up and down just looking out at the sea. Bing-bong:)

Karmac,

I must admit, that sometimes you do forget that you are on a ship!!

If you are in the Theatre or on the Royal Promenade, you wouldn't think you were on a ship at all. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that indeded you are ona ship, and not on land!!

The Windjammer Cafe (the buffet) has great views of the ocean. and a great sunrise too!! As does the mens room on Deck 14, adjacent to the Windjammer!!:eek:

Auzzie cruiser what have you been up to in the mens room!!! (I have seen the pics) don't know whether to sneak in myself. On the last cruise on Sun I kept on calling the buffet the Windjammer!!my daughter and others just gave me funny looks :o I think I must spend to much time on RCI side :D

In reply to the question,I will have to let you know late October :eek: unless I have a go and post "live" from the ship. It was quite fun doing it on Sun last time.Even though it was hard to type as the keyboard was moving around

Past It,

I didn't know about the men's room on Deck 14, I swear!! I even took a picture!! At 6am it was pretty safe to do so.

A word of caution, DO NOT use the Internet on the ship. It is sooo slow. You have a choice of which plan you want. The more minutes you buy, the cheaper it is per minute. Takes forever to load one page!!:mad:

The Windjammer is a breeze, even on port days, when everybody seems to be in a hurry. My suggestion is to go right down the back, most people stick as close to the doors as possible. There are 5 food stations, and the one down the back is less crowded, plus that is where the waffles and pancakes are. :D

The plates they give you are HUGE, and it looks as though you are starving yourself!! My plate was only ever 1/2 full!!:eek:

Didn't go there for lunch or dinner, so not too sure what the food is like. We had lunch in the Carmen Dining Room on deck 3. It was the same ,enu every two days, but there was a huge choice.

We were in the late seating at 830pm, which was fine with us. We were in the Carmen Dining Room on Deck 3 also. We had a lovely Irish couple with us at a table for 8. We were tucked away in a corner, by a window, which was okay.

A must is the Ice show in Studio B. You have to get tickets (free) outside, which is on a first come, first served basis.

Anyway.... Hope this makes you more excited!!

Not long now!!

Ships shouldn't look like blocks of flats. Most do.

Ships should be able to do 30 knots. Most can't.

Ships should not remind people of Las Vegas. Most do.

Ships should be elegant. Most aren't.

There is no need for anything greater than 70,327 grt. That must be about the perfect size.

It wasn't necessarily the crowds I was refering to. It was the "grandstand" around the pool. Looks more like it should be at a football stadium. The one think I don't like about the RCI ships is the Promenade. Hate being in a shopping centre when I'm at home let alone when I'm on holidays.

Karen

Archived