Do you want our ships to look like this?

karmac

Been on the huge ones like that in the photo and in the smallest of "true" cruise ships (Windstar - 148 pax).

I like small better. My favorite "big" ships are those with 750-1100 pax. Large enough to meet (or avoid) people you like (or don't) and have full services, but not a city at sea.

The skating rink on the Voyager of the Seas:

skaters.jpg

If I want to ice skate, I'll go to a skating rink in town. If I want the feeling of sailing in elegance on the seas, why would I go into the bowels of a ship and waste my sea days looking at people ice skating?

My feeling is that there is obviously a market for the "all inclusive" resort at sea experience and, as well, for the people like me who want to sit/stand on deck and smell the salt sea air as I am waited on hand and foot by a huge staff.

To each his own.

Here's a shot of the interior. (The glass along the walls along the top are the windows of the "outside/inside staterooms which have a commanding view of the shopping arcade!)

voyroyp.jpg

That white thing you posted is hideous. I'm surprised it floats!

Totally agree with you kindlychap. It would have to be one of the ugliets ships I've ever seen. And yes, the QE2 is certainly a classic.

Karen

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Easy, if you don't want an ice skating rink or Shopping arcade, steer clear of those ships. Stick to what you prefer. Personally I would prefer a large ship, compared to a smaller one ie 2,000 passengers up. It is truly an experience, that I thoroughly enjoyed. Remember, they are only going to get bigger!!

That 'hideous' and 'ugly' ship is the Diamond Princess. It weighs in at 113,000 tons, and carries 2,670 passengers. It only has 13 passengers decks. including the bar at the very top. The last ship I was on had 17!!

I'm going on the Diamond Princess in October, and looking forward to it. I missed her when she was here in April (at that stage I wasn't booked to go on her).

Here are the pictures of the ships I have been on:

Celebrity Infinity

1188635962031119918ouGClL

Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas

1470389641079457186MyMbFi

PS How come this picture won't show?? Can someone please help me. Thanks Jarrod.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Easy, if you don't want an ice skating rink or Shopping arcade, steer clear of those ships. Stick to what you prefer. Personally I would prefer a large ship, compared to a smaller one ie 2,000 passengers up. It is truly an experience, that I thoroughly enjoyed. Remember, they are only going to get bigger!!

That 'hideous' and 'ugly' ship is the Diamond Princess. It weighs in at 113,000 tons, and carries 2,670 passengers. It only has 13 passengers decks. including the bar at the very top. The last ship I was on had 17!!

I'm going on the Diamond Princess in October, and looking forward to it. I missed her when she was here in April (at that stage I wasn't booked to go on her).

Here are the pictures of the ships I have been on:

Celebrity Infinity

1188635962031119918ouGClL

Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas

1470389641079457186MyMbFi

PS How come this picture won't show?? Can someone please help me. Thanks Jarrod.

Jarrod, you'll love the Diamond Princess. I've probably said this somewhere here before, but I really didn't feel like this ship was "big" when onboard a few months ago, compared to all the other ships I've sailed on or visited.

The things I liked about the DP were the promenade deck that goes all around the ship from the very bow to the very stern, the Lotus pool and Skywalkers Lounge.

PS: i think I recall there being a size limit for attachments to messages: maybe your pictures are too big?

Tim

That's a proper ship!

At least for now but in a couple of years time you'll probably be scooping your baked beans out of what used to be such a beautiful ship.

Any news on what will happen to her once she's retired?

That white thing you posted is hideous. I'm surprised it floats!

100_0168.jpg

That's a proper ship!

You really seem to like the QE2. Any plans to go on the new QM2? We saw both of them docked in NY Harbor and took pictures of the QE2 and QM2 side by side at the West 54th street pier from across the River on the Jersey Palisade cliffs. The QE2 looked like a tug next to the QM2.

Archived