bonine or patch

karen of PA

Yes they still do prescribe the patch. I had used them for years and finally this past May I thought I would just try Bonine. I did, went through the panama Canal and up to S.F. and had virtually no problems whatsoever and I tend to be seasick. So they worked very well for me.

Marilyn

Ginger capsules at meals and do not stop it even if she feels better. Give her 2 at each meal. That should do it. I would suggest if it is a rough cruise give ginger after the cruise too... for 4 days after our last cruise I was sea sick like I never have been before...and i was home. The floors were moving on me.

I'm a Bonine fan. (Very reasonably priced at Wal Mart.) I bring it on every cruise as insurance, but hardly ever use it myself. I've "loaned" it to many other people though. Best to take an hour before sailing or in the evening. One pill lasts 24 hours. ;)

Personally I would never use the patch. I have heard the side effects can be worse than the seasickness and also simulate a heart attack! :eek:

If you use the patch, these can range from eye dilation to cotton mouth to severe withdrawl. A chemist told us in Australia told us that they consider them so dangerous that they no longer prescibe them for seasickness. I think the key is duration - how long you plan on using them. For me, 14 days was too long.

If you take ginger tables, make sure you check with your doctor if you are taking any blood thinning drugs as it tends to counter-act them. Also, these are not 100% - I spent a really nasty night praying to the porcelain gods after trying them out. Ginger does not taste half as good coming up as going down and put me off ginger for a long time.

For me, Mecclazine (the active ingredient in both Dramamine and Bonine) works the best with the fewest side effects. One pill in the morning and I'm set for whatever the days holds. They are also much cheaper than the brand name version - a bottle of 100 runs about $9 at Long's, our local drug store).

hope this helps a little,

Charlie

When we first started cruising we used the patch. It really worked for the first 3 days and then it must be changed. However, I did not like the side effects it caused. My mouth was always dry and my eyes felt very dry too and sometimes got blurry. I always knew when to change the patch because I would start feeling queasy.

When they came out with the 24-hour non-drowsy formula of Dramamine that became my staple for sea sickness prevention. I always carry some with me even though I find I don't need it as much as I used to. I have never tried Bonine but it works the same as Dramamine.

Karen- I swear by Bonine (or the generic version). Just remember to take it before you feel ill. Once you're actually seasick, probably no OTC or patch will work. But the ship's doctor will have stronger meds to cure you, if all else fails.

I'm one of those cruisers who had a bad reaction to the patch (temporary vision loss, kidney malfunction, etc), so I always worry when people are considering using it. I know reactions are rare (but why me?), but just in case you are also sensitive, try it before the cruise. If you then do have a bad reaction, you're at least not missing part of your vacation!

You didn't mention where you are cruising or when, but unless you're going through Drake's Passage, you will be pleasantly surprised at how well these modern cruise ships handle all kinds of seas. Enjoy your first cruise- it won't be your last!

I used the patch once during a very rough crossing, never again for me, just wayyyyyyyy too many side effects.

I normally don't get seasick, but after sailing through the outer edge of a hurricane a few years ago, I now always take Bonine with us, just in case.

Definitely take them the night before you board your ship if you think there might be a problem, then each night before bed.

That old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" really rings true with seasickness. Much easier to prevent it then get rid of it once it has taken hold. ARGH!

Bonine and Non-drowsy Dramamine are the same thing . . . trade brand of the generic, meclizine. It is much cheaper as the generic. Also, on many ships the infirmary and/or purser will give it to you at no cost.

Just remember what the other posters said - take it before you need it.

I've used the patch, on occasion, with much success and no side effects. Bonine/Dramamine make me drowsy (no mater what) and also can make you cranky.

The electric wrist bands also work great and in my opinion are a better option in that you are not taking any sort of med.

K

Also, on many ships the infirmary and/or purser will give it to you at no cost.

quote]

Not on Princess anymore. Even one seasickness pill must be paid for so do not count on any free meds whatsoever.

Thanks for the update . . . good to know.

There's a reason to cruise on ____ :)

Do they still give out free earplugs?

I have always been senstive to motion sickness, can't sit in the back of a plane, can't go fishing on a boat, can't read in the car, etc., so I grew up popping Dramamine and sleeping through fishing and whale watching trips and vacation car trips. I have used the patch years ago and didn't like the side effects, plus they warned about not drinking alcohol. Last trip I took c.c. readers advice and tried Bonine. I used the generic version of the non-drowsy Bonine, taking the first pill the evening before the cruise and then taking one each night while onboard. It worked great! No nausea and no drowsiness. Wish I had known about it years ago, maybe I would have seen more of the U.S. on vacations...

I get very seasick/motion sickness so I was really nervous when dh booked a cruise in 2001...I talked with my dr and she said she would prescribe the patch but that some people have problems with side effects....it was up to me....She advised Meclazine (over the counter but behind the pharm), she said to start taking 1 pill a day 4 days before the trip....that way the drowsy (they all do it, non drowsy formula or not) side effect will be gone, it will be in my system....I did that and didnt have one problem, even in choppy seas. I actually stopped taking it on day 4 of the cruise and was fine, but had to resume once on land as I felt like I was rocking and it made me quessy. My dr said that if you wait until you are seasick...that it is unlikely that the pills or patch will work well...and that I would probably end up in the ship med center getting a shot to get over it.....

I'm another Bonine fan! I get queasy just thinking about travel (boat, train, car, you name it) and Bonine works great for me. I'm not sure if it makes me drowsy or not because I take it before bed. Maybe that's why I sleep so great on cruises :rolleyes:

I am one of those who gets motion sickness riding in the back seat of a car.

I've tried Dramamine, but the side effects were worse than the seasickness. A co-worker convinced me to try Bonine - and it is wonderful! Because I was concerned about side-effects, I started taking 1/2 every 12 hours 2 days before we departed. I continued throughout our 9 day/4 hurricane trip and never had a twinge of seasickness or any side effects. I even had a glass of wine - or drink with dinner, without any ill effects.

I guess I am one of the very lucky ones. I have used the patch on all 5 cruises and never had a problem. Had a little dry mouth but thats it. I had no idea there were warnings about them and that they had all those awful sounding side effects :eek: Maybe its time to re-evaluate.

NO BONINE! I used to take Bonine all the time. I don't care what you say, it makes you drowsy or at the very least light headed. Ginger pills are the thing. If you have time look up Mythbusters, they did a study on the different pills and Ginger. Ginger was the only thing PROVEN to work. By the way, side effect of Ginger is better digestion. Isn't that a great idea when on a cruise with a couple choices to eat! lol I brought bonine on our last cruise and my husband brought the ginger pills. We religiously took them at breakfast and dinner, but one day on our way back up to San Francisco the water got really rough. I was so worried the ginger wasn't going to work I didn't take it and decided to take the Bonine. Guess what? I got sick that night. Back to the ginger the next day and I was fine. So, buy your Bonine because you know you will, but bring the Ginger for something that really works and as a bonus is all natural and will help you digest all that food. Have a great trip and don't overthink every thing. Bon Voyage

Oh my gosh- I so vote Bonine. I've only taken two cruises (work-friends), and I took Bonine on both (having read about it on here)-starting the day before sailing- absolutely NO problem on the ship, or on tenders, or catamarans!

The thing is, I'm ULTRA sensitive to "subtle motion"- i.e., can't go to a revolving restaurant, or even stand too near a slightly vibrating floor next to an escalator! I had no problem with subtle motion and not so subtle motion- EVERYBODY I went with at some point, be it on the ship, or on a shore excursion boat got seasick but me. It's a miracle really- and nope- absolutely no drowsiness. I got the generic and WalMart. Bon Voyage!:p

my daughter gets seasick easily. She discovered that a couple of ginger pills 2 times a day was the cure. Available at any health food store

We use ginger the whole time on a cruise and it works great. Absolutely no side effects because it's natural and easy to find. You can get a big bottle at the health food store or Walmart. We also carry a little non-drowsy Dramamine just in case the seas are really rough and the ginger is not quite enough however, the Caribbean doesn't seem to get that rough.

I get motion sick even when I scroll down on the computer! I have used the patch with success the first few cruises, but on the last two I have had increasing side effects when I stopped using the patch. Last cruise I missed two days of work when I returned I was so dizzy. I have decided to use Bonine this time because I fear the increasing side effects will lead to a real big problem. Any one else have this happen?

Archived