bonine or patch

karen of PA

The last 3 cruises I used the patch. The third time was the disaster for me. I came home and was sick for 2 days straight. While on the cruise I was half dazed dry mouth ALL of the time and not excited about anything. Really did a number on me that last time. Will NEVER take again.

Will try the ginger tablets like everyone has suggested.

I have learned SOOOO many things on this board and appreciate all suggestions!

I use Ginger capsules for lots of things. Since it is natural, there are no side effects except it is known as a natural blood thiner taken in large quanities. I get car sick and have a problem with vertigo. Ginger is the only thing that has done any good for me. I only have to take one at night and I start taking it before I step on the plane. As someone else mentioned, it will help with indigestion and flu symptoms too. Works great for me!

I'm one of those people who is made drowsy by Bonine. It does work for me for motion sickness, and I sleep great at night, but I get drowsy during the day. So I think I'll try ginger in December, based on all these recommendations. My questions are

Is this "powdered" ginger we're talking about?

How often should I try taking it?

Would ginger essential oil work (properly diluted)?

Thanks

I took Bonine on my first cruise, which had pretty rough seas the first few days, and I still felt ill. Not nauseated - but head spinning. I took it again on subsequent cruises that were not nearly as rough and was fine.

I bought a bottle of 100 Meclizine tablets from the Sam's Club pharmacy for $5.71 a few months ago. Same main ingredient as in Bonine...just not tasty enough to be chewable!

I'm another Bonine fan! I get queasy just thinking about travel (boat, train, car, you name it) and Bonine works great for me. I'm not sure if it makes me drowsy or not because I take it before bed. Maybe that's why I sleep so great on cruises :rolleyes:

I do think if you use Bonine that using it at night is a good choice. At the very least, take it the same time each day.

i do not understand how anybody can get seasick on today's huge liners. they are so stable (except those late fall transatlantics) that you frequently have to look over the side to make sure you are moving.

if you have a few cocktails it's not the sea motion that has you spinning!

have a great cruise!

i do not understand how anybody can get seasick on today's huge liners. they are so stable (except those late fall transatlantics) that you frequently have to look over the side to make sure you are moving.

if you have a few cocktails it's not the sea motion that has you spinning!

have a great cruise!

Spoken by someone who has absolutely no idea the suffering from seasickness.

FYI... I did a little research on the two most popular over the counter formulations; Dramamine Original and Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL and offer the following.

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

Bronine works fine if you take it before you get sick. Otherwise you will have to go to the ship's doctor for a shot. This shot cost $150 on my last cruise.

There is a pill an suppository form of the medicine from the shot that you can take AFTER you become ill. I recommend you get a perscription (and fill it) if possible just in case.

I've used the "patch" since it first came out and I've been cruising since

1988. We cruise at least once a year, if not more.

The first time I tried it, I was having some side effects (blurred vision) and a

wonderful lady passenger gave me the "secret". At that time I was 5'3" and 138 lbs.

The patch is a "one size fits all" medication which is not a really good idea. However, I was told to "cut the patch in half" which naturally reduces the amount of medication being absorbed. The result: No side effects at all!

Unfortunately, I can get sea sick just looking at the water. Now, the night before our departure I put one/half of the patch behind my ear and away I go the next day with no problems. And, as a bonus you have doubled the supply. (The patch is not cheap!)

Our next cruise is in December (7 days) followed by a 27 day Transatlantic/Baltic B-T-B. I would not consider not using the patch as it has worked for me for too many years without any problems at all.

Just thought I would share this idea! Bon Voyage to all.

I learned the secret of taking Bonine the night before embarking a cruise ship. But...in my excitment of going on Mariner of the Seas, I forgot. We had been sailing no more than 30 minutes when I started feeling ill. Took the Bonine right away, but it didn't help. Finally went back to the cabin, took another one, and slept the night away and felt fine the rest of the cruise (and took a Bonine each night).

This past cruise I bought the generic at Target and remembered to take it each night. I had no problems.

I never felt particularly drowsy during the day, but, darn, if I didn't fall alseep each time I sat down!! I blamed it on the gentle rocking of the ship!

Bronine works fine if you take it before you get sick. Otherwise you will have to go to the ship's doctor for a shot. This shot cost $150 on my last cruise.

There is a pill an suppository form of the medicine from the shot that you can take AFTER you become ill. I recommend you get a perscription (and fill it) if possible just in case.

Both the shot and the suppository are phenergan. It works - stops the seasickness almost immediately . . . but it is potent stuff. Be sure to have a good discussion with your doc if you decide to go that route.

If you get seasick, that $150 will be the best "investment" of the cruise!

I am doing a 16 day cruise in the spring, and have been considering other options than the patch. I have always used the patch, and had minor side effects (blurred vision was one). It has always worked wonderfully for me, but I am concerned about using it for this length of time, and the factor that I am another year older.

I was considering taking all the above mentioned meds, plus the sea bands, and throwing the patch in for safe measures, but am now afraid that I'll really need the Scopolamine...... I don't want this Med cruise ruined! I have asked the pharmacist, and he stated that there is no info regarding long term use of this (outside of palliative patients).

I use the patch and love it. Yes I do get a dry mouth but generally only for the first couple of days and then I guess I get used to it. Hey, water and or a cocktail will cure the dry mouth! None of the other things work for me and the patch works well each and everytime so I wouldn't think about flying or cruising without it. The longest that I've used it was on our 10 plus the night flying back, so 11 nights total and I was just fine.

Archived