How much exercise do you do not to gain weight on a cruise?

cruzin4us

On our last 14 day cruise, it was the first time I had gained wt on a cruise, although it was only 1.5 lb. I hit the gym for the treadmill 30 min every am. We are not early risers so it is a late, big breakfast, a few little "snacks" @ afternoon tea and then late dinner. Since we are "dining" and not shoveling it in like we do at home, I find that I am very full and satisfied by meal end. I skipped dessert most nights.

The problem was the sea days and not a lot to do except eat on the way home. I am no "slim-jim" and am in plus-size clothes but I didn't want to add to the mass that is me so that nothing fit when I came home. I think the activities, the walking in the ports and the portion control at dinner is a big help.

I gain about 10 pounds on a cruise even with my walking.

I have 2 scoops of fat and sugar ice cream with lunch and dinner.

At the 4:30 teas I have at least 5 pastries and 5 finger sandwiches a day.

Over 14 days it really takes a toll. The walking an hour must help but the weight gets bad by the 14th day.

When I get home it takes a month to shake the 10 pounds. I dont eat ice cream or sweets at home. The desserts and sweets make the cruise special and I purposely dont indulge at home. The daily walking and speed bag exercise really give me a good aerobic workout when home.

Don

I rarely have gained weight on any cruise, and rarely go to the gym.

My main exercise for weight control is pushing myself away from the table, or pushing the plate away when I have had enough (but not every last morsel).

I rarely eat more than a salad at lunch, and the only alcohol is the free drinks at the Captain's Welcome and Farewell and one glass of wine at dinner every night. I drink only hot or iced tea during the day (no sodas, beers or mixed drinks). I rarely eat at the buffet, preferring to eat in the dining room for most meals.

This thread has me even more worried. We are going on our first cruise next summer and I was already worried about gaining weight. I am a regular exerciser - and in fairly good shape - regular exercise routine for about a year and back to a size I'm quite happy with.

I'm not going on my first cruise and living on low-fat and salads !!!!!! I do that at home !!!!! I will go to the gym regularly - and I won't stuff myself, particularly in the evening which is the worst for you , because I find that too uncomfortable - and I'm pretty good at eating "half of what you're given" - even the best of desserts I can just 'eat some and leave the rest' and when I can I ask for a 'small serving' so I don't waste food. But I'm not going to 'deprive' myself on our trip of a lifetime - I'll lose the weight when I get back !!!!!

(I was at a fabulous all inclusive in Mexico years ago - I know, all too well, what damage you can do in just one week !!!!! )

Archived