Mexico's West Coast - Why so few summer cruise choices?

MerryWidow

In the summer with two kids under 18, I want to go somewhere warm. For the past 6 summers, we have done the Caribbean (eastern, western, southern and 'exotic'). There's few new places to go and I'd like to try the western coast of Mexico. However, just about every west coast ship goes north to Alaska during the summer vacation months and the two major ship that do sail south are older ships.

My question is WHY? Is there no market for the coast of Mexico? If west-coasters can fly east to go to the Caribbean, won't we east-coasters fly west?

Also, looks like none of the major lines sail out of any of Mexico's cities but instead depart out of California. Why? Mexico's government corruption?

These questions have puzzled me for years. Any answers?

Karen

I think you pretty much answered your own question.

Alaska has a short, limited season, but is a major destination -- so Mex Riv ships are sent there during the summer.

More people want to get away to sunny places in the winter than the summer (when Mex Riv is very hot).

In the Princess flyer I got this week, I noticed there was a San Juan to Acapulco itinerary (Panama Canal). Don't think it was in the summer, though.

It's fair to assume that demand drives where the ships are deployed.

The reason few ships depart from Mexico itself is the lack of flights from the US to those ports. Even Ensenada, which is used for one way cruises to and from Hawaii or from Canada, requires a two hour drive across the border up to San Diego. Usually when a cruise starts and ends in Acapulco, it requires the cruiseline to charter several flights to insure that the passengers can get to or from the ship.

IMore people want to get away to sunny places in the winter than the summer (when Mex Riv is very hot).

It's fair to assume that demand drives where the ships are deployed.

And the Caribbean is filled with ships all summer, even though it's equally hot & I think there are more hurricanes there than on the Pacific coast of Mexico.

Disney had no trouble selling out its summer in Mexico last year. I think if a "destination ship" (read Radiance class for me or Voyager class for Eric) sailed Mexico in the summer, RCI wouldn't have any problem either.

CritterChick, I agree with you!

Thousands of folks are willing to risk hurricanes and heat to sail to the Caribbean during the summer and others who want cooler temperatures opt for cruises along the New England and Canadian coasts. The cruise lines are doing both north and south Atlantic during the summer so I still say "Why not south of California during summer school vacation?"

If Disney filled up a southern route in 2005, why have none of the major lines added at least one newer (< 5 years old) ship for the Mexican Riveria in 2007? I'm sure it's got something to do with profit but I'm still befuzzled!

The reasons? Hurricanes, tropical storms and very rough seas in summer in the Pacific. Not much call for warm weather cruises in that area of the world, since it's already warm/hot for the entire USA.

The reasons? Hurricanes, tropical storms and very rough seas in summer in the Pacific. Not much call for warm weather cruises in that area of the world, since it's already warm/hot for the entire USA.

OP asked about West coast, so I do not think Hurricanes are a factor. But I do agree that it is too hot that time of the year to be there.

In the summer with two kids under 18, I want to go somewhere warm. For the past 6 summers, we have done the Caribbean (eastern, western, southern and 'exotic'). There's few new places to go and I'd like to try the western coast of Mexico. However, just about every west coast ship goes north to Alaska during the summer vacation months and the two major ship that do sail south are older ships.

My question is WHY? Is there no market for the coast of Mexico? If west-coasters can fly east to go to the Caribbean, won't we east-coasters fly west?

Karen

The ships are in Alaska because it is more popular destination and Alaska has such a short season.....the end of May to the beginning of September.

It will be interesting to see if more ships are built......and since Alaskan Posts are crowded........we may see more ships permanently assigned the Mexico route year around.

OP asked about West coast, so I do not think Hurricanes are a factor. But I do agree that it is too hot that time of the year to be there.

Mexico does get a few hurricanes every year, but I don't think it's anywhere near what you see in the Caribbean. I also don't think it's any hotter.

I still think a "destination" ship would do well, as Disney's did. I'm willing to gamble with somebody else's money to see if I'm right!:D

If 'someone' will gamble a < 5year, family-oriented ship for a 7-9 day cruise to the Mexican Riveria with 3 or 4 stops while school is out... I'll buy 4 tickets! The kids just don't want to do Alaska and the cost of air for 4 to Hawaii (from NC) and Europe is out of my widow's price range.

I know of several people, including myself who couldn't wait to get to Acapulco, etc....(Carnival Spirit November 2005) although the ship was nice the ports were a waste of time, including Acapulco.....brown sand, mostly grey water.....nothing beats BERMUDA or the Southern Carib for beaches and sand...would NEVER EVER go there again......go to Alaska, now that is something to do on the west coast.

It's all about money. The ships can command a higher per diem in Alaska than they can in the Mexican Riviera in the summer.

As for the Caribbean, I don't think you'd find it "filled" with ships all summer. Yes, those ships doing the shorter 3-4 night itineraries remain there, as do several of the post-Panamax ships, but the vast majority of the ships in the Caribbean also leave, either to Alaska or Europe, for the summer as well.

In the summer, Alaska and Europe is where the money is at. Disney sold out because it's Disney. They are showing they can pretty much put a ship of theirs anywhere and sell it. But that's the exception, not the rule.

Also, looks like none of the major lines sail out of any of Mexico's cities but instead depart out of California. Why? Mexico's government corruption?

Karen

Everybody has covered the economics of why ships move to other markets. The weather on The Mexican Riviera plays a big role too. It's just to hot and humid for most people to enjoy! The summer months are also the traditional rainy season too.

As for Mexican cities as ports of origin ... none really have the infrastructure to support turning around a cruise ship in 10-12 hours. Puerto Vallarta tried it a few years ago and it failed (not enough air capacity played a big role). Now they are well along in a major port expansion. They should, by the end of the year, be able to dock three large cruise ships at one time. That, coupled with an airport expansion program & an ample supply of hotel rooms, have local officials talking about trying to get somebody, like Carnival, to base one of their ships in Vallarta in the future.

MerryWidow,

My husband and I took the Carnival Pride down the Mexican Riviera and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the ship is only about 5 years old and has Carnival's large cabins and tons of things for you to do. The Pride sails the Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallera route EVERY week of the year from Long Beach, California. I think your kids would enjoy it.

Kathy

Mexico does get a few hurricanes every year, but I don't think it's anywhere near what you see in the Caribbean. I also don't think it's any hotter. !

:confused: :confused: I reiterate... OP was mentioning West coast of Mexico.

I do not remember hearing about a hurricane hitting Cabo San Lucas. Cozumel is another case... but that is on the East coast.

Since I live in San Diego, I can fully testify that there are tropical storms and hurricanes on the west coast of Mexico that come across the Pacific from the area around Hawaii. Didn't you ever hear about the hurricaine that nearly wiped Kauai off the map (during the filming of Jurassic Park)? Puerto Vallarta and Cabo have both had serious hurricnes that washed out many roads, stranded tourists, and flooded the downtown areas (in the case of PV).

Here is the hurricane watch center where you can track these storms. So far this year it has been fairly quiet. We know when one is brewing in San Diego as this is just about the only time we get hot, muggy weather. Rain in our summer is always due to these storms. The rainy season in Mexico is the summer...largely because of the influence of these storms.

http://www.bajainsider.com/weather/hurricanes/hurricane-watch.htm

In this satellite photo Cabo is in the middle of the photo (July 2002)

Douglas2.TMO2002204.jpg

600 people were killed in this hurricane-caused dam break in La Paz in 1976:

lzada.jpg

Here is an article about a hurricane that hit PV in 2002:

http://home.zonnet.nl/pv_kenna/WorldNews%20Hurricane%20Kenna%20Slams%20Into%20Mexico.htm

Many of the stores in the Malecon area of PV have posted photos of a storm that put the main street under 6 feet of water, and flooded all the shops.

:confused: :confused: I reiterate... OP was mentioning West coast of Mexico.

I do not remember hearing about a hurricane hitting Cabo San Lucas. Cozumel is another case... but that is on the East coast.

there was a hurricane in cabo a few months ago , as i recall.

there was some flooding etc.....

Karen

just remember too thats it nice , when its winter here and you go to mexico and come home tan, and everyone is jealous ;)

thats why we go to mexico in nov-jan,,,

and the caribbean in the non hurricane months.

good luck deciding..

alaska might be nice, but more for adults only IMO...

and BURRRRRRRRRRRRR

take care

melissa

you would like to cruise. Ships do the Mexican Riv. all the time and most of the West Carib. cruises go to Cozumel. I'm confused, please tell.

Personally there is so many things to do in Puerto Vallarta I wouldn't want to cruise there, I would fly down and book something that wasn't an all inclusive because that area is known for the best places to eat.

Karen

During the summer, you have a few factors at work. The west coast ships go to Alaska, the Caribbean ships go to the Meditteranean. You'll notice there are WAY fewer ships to choose from in the Caribbean as well during the summer than there are during the winter. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) Demand - High season in Alaska and the Meditteranean is during the summer months. High season in Mexico and the Caribbean is during the winter months. When it's cold out, you don't want to go vacation in Alaska or Europe. You only want to go there during the spring and summer. When it's hot out, that means tropical storms in the Mexican Caribbean and Pacific.

2) Weather and water conditions - Summer is rainy season in the Mexican Pacific and Caribbean. Who wants to go on a cruise and endure thunderstorms, big water, etc.? They also don't want to risk hitting a storm and making the ride uncomfortable for the passengers, or having to deal with schedule re-routing or delays. It's much more profitable to go to Meditteranean or Alaska, where you only have a window of a few months to make serious money. In particular, the demand for the Pacific Coast is much less than the Caribbean, in part because the east coast of the U.S. is so much more populated than the west, and in part because the beautiful waters of the Caribbean are a year-round attraction.

Ships leave from the U.S. and not from Mexico because that's where all the customers live. Mexicans don't often do cruises - Americans do. You start from the North and work your way south. If you depended only on people who started in Cabo, for example, instead of Los Angeles, you'd have only a few people on a ship designed for several thousand.

I hope this answers your questions. Plan on getting out of the cold with a great Mexican Riviera Cruise this December or January instead! :)

Originally Posted by MerryWidow

In the past, most cruisers (US being the majority) have not needed to have passports if they left from US ports or US territories. Mexico allowed some exceptions depending on how far south of the boarder it was. This is about to change. With everyone soon to need passports, several of the cruise lines are looking into mid-south American ports to cruise out of.;)

Is this the itinerary you want?

Sunday, May 20, 2007 Galveston, Texas -- 05:00 PM

Monday, May 21, 2007 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 Cozumel, Mexico 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 Roatan, Honduras 09:00 AM 05:00 PM

Thursday, May 24, 2007 Costa Maya, Mexico 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

Friday, May 25, 2007 Progreso, Mexico 12:00 PM 08:00 PM

Saturday, May 26, 2007 At Sea -- --

Sunday, May 27, 2007 Galveston, Texas 07:00 AM --

We are trying to decide on this one also. Not sure if it is too much Mexico or what.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I live in San Diego, I can fully testify that there are tropical storms and hurricanes on the west coast of Mexico that come across the Pacific from the area around Hawaii.

Hi Splinter,

I noticed you are scheduled for the Mercury in Nov. We're looking at Mercury at Thanksgiving time this year. Was researching what the weather (not hurricanes) is like on the Mexican Riviera during that time of the year (like rain, temperature, etc.)??

What are you expecting in terms of weather for your Nov cruise??

Thanks,

Alan

Archived