Mexico's West Coast - Why so few summer cruise choices?

MerryWidow

Nice post and pictures by Splinter. He is correct in that the eastern Pacific does get it share of Hurricanes. However they form off the coast of Mexico between Acapulco and Cabo and then head west not east. A few turn northeast and hit P.V or Cabo. The eastern Pacific is dominated by the Alaskan current so the storms weaken as they head towards California. (this is also why the return trip north becomes very bumpy once you pass Cabo).

However my father used to tell me about the Hurricane that actually made it to LA in the 1930s. Finally El Nino affects the number of Hurricanes in each area. During El Nino you will get more hurricanes in the east Pacific and less in the Caribbean. The reverse with La Nina. Last year was a La Nina year. It appears an El Nino is forming and expected to take place in November 06-April 2007. The National weather service has this info.

Once poster mentioned the caribbean as being more beautiful. I agree that the water and sand are much nicer. However I find the Colonial architecture in Mexico to be outstanding, especially the churches.

Also I doubt you will see large pods of dolphins or the blue whales we saw just off the port of Long Beach in the Caribbean. Also schools of rays off Cabo chasing the ship.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

By the way my brother and his family sat in the basement of a hotel with Stephen Spielberg during hurricane Inki which hit Kaui in the early 90s. He flew out on a private jet after the hurricane departed.

We have found November-March weather in the Mexican Riviera to be generally dry and warm. You can expect daytime temp at Cabo in the 80s at that time of year. The water temperature will be in the low 70s.

Archived