Which Cruise should I take?

lady in tx

HI! I'm planning on going on a 5-day cruise to Mexico on Jan., 2006. There will be 2 couples going. (ages between 22-26) I will be leaving from Tx. And i'm not sure which cruise line I should take, Carnival Cruise or Royal Caribean. This will be our 1st time going on a cruise. So if you have additional tips that would help too! Thanks!

Either line would be good. I assume you are looking at the Splendour of the Seas versus the Carnival Ecstasy. Both have their good points. One thing, if you want a balcony, then Splendour is your only choice. If you want an inside stateroom, Ecstasy will have larger cabins. Cozumel is on all the 5-night itineraries. The other port they go to is the main difference. If you want great ruins, Progreso is a great choice to see Chichen Itza, but Costa Maya and Calica have ruins as well. Progreso is not really a beach or snorkeling stop if that is what you are interested in.

Hola,

Welcome to the world of cruiseing, but let me warn you. It is very addictive.

What do you like to do? If you like to party you have Carlos and Charlies, Mr Sanchos, Senior Frogs, Coconuts and a host of other bars and beach clubs to choose from. In Calica we took a tour to a private beach that had rope swings at the bar. I couldn't sit in them sober. I don't know how anyone could if they were drunk. It was fun to watch.

Progreso is laid back, old Mexico with good resturants and little to do in town excepts lie on the beach, eat, drink and shop. If you want more than that you have to take a tour to ruins, Merida, or to a resort like Reef Yucatan. We have been there 3 times and found something different each trip. If you want to snorkel, however, this is not the place.

Calica/ Playa del Carmen is a good place to see nice ruins (Talum), there are nice beaches and there is Xcaret. Do a Google and check it out.

Coz, for us is a beach day. You can't go wrong with Paradise Beach or Chankanabb Park and the best thing is you can do either or both by taxi.

Good food, service, drinks, swimming, and though the reefs are damaged, there are still alot of fish at Chank. Then there is shopping, Playa Palancar, Chen Rio and the "wild side", eastern shore. Wilma devestated Coz, but it is still a great place to go.

We are going to Costa Maya in Nov. so I'll have to write a review later.

Just pick out the itinerary that you want and go. It will be a blast.

I agree with most posters that 1) either one would be fine, and 2) Splendour is the nicer of the two ships. :)

In fact, we have booked the 5-day on the Splendour, sailing Jan. 15th. There are some very good prices going right now and some great cabins still available.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Archived