How to get from West Palm airport to Port of Miami

tigermaroon2

I've found a heck of a deal on some air tickets to West Palm...what's the best way to get to the Port of Miami from there? If you rent a car, where in Miami can you drop it off? Are there drop off stations at the port or do you then have to drop it off and take a cab? Any advice needed quickly as I'm afraid this deal will die if I don't grab it!

One of 2 ways. Either easy and avoid tolls, but deal with crap traffic or quicker, less traffic, but tolls and possibly some confusion..

1) From PBI exit onto Southern Blvd and go East about 8 miles to I-95. Take 95 South all the way to exit for port of Miami/cruise terminal (in downtown Miami, signs will direct you) This would normally take anywhere between 70/90 mins. But there's construction just south of the Airport right now on 95, and it could suck.

2) From PBI go east about 1 mile to the FL Turnpike, head south. You'll need about 3 or 4 bucks for tolls, but traffic should be better. From there you'd jump on the 836 east, past the Miami airport all the way to downtown and the port of Miami. There could be traffic on 836 though. This is still probably slightly quicker. To be on the safe side I'd give yourself a good 2 hours in case of traffic/weather.

A couple of companies have drop off/shuttle service to the peir. You'll have to make some calls.

Yes, go to the maps - the poster with the directions has to be talking about some airport in the everglades.

PBI is about 1 mile West of I-95 and 2 miles East of the turnpike.

Good luck - and check w/ the rental car co. about their policy of returning (probably at the airport - MIA) and catching a cab (about $10-20) to the pier.

Reverse all this on the ay back :)

We did one way rental last December with Dollar Rent a Car. Dropped the car off at the Miami car lot (not the airport) and took a free shuttle from their to the port. Really simple and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have used tri-rail a couple of times. You can go from PBI airport to MIA airport for about 3.50$ a head. About a 1 hour ride. Then grab a cab to the port for 20.00$ It is no big deal. And about the cheapest way. Some people dont like it but it has worked out for me and the family when ever I have used it. Main complaint i have heard is sometime the train gets delayed. But there is never a delay on the freeway(HAHA). To find out more and see a timetable go to http://WWW.Tri-Rail.com Good luck

I have used tri-rail a couple of times. You can go from PBI airport to MIA airport for about 3.50$ a head. About a 1 hour ride. Then grab a cab to the port for 20.00$ It is no big deal. And about the cheapest way. Some people dont like it but it has worked out for me and the family when ever I have used it. Main complaint i have heard is sometime the train gets delayed. But there is never a delay on the freeway(HAHA). To find out more and see a timetable go to WWW.Tri-Rail.com Good luck

With four people, you could rent a car and have a much more pleasant experience.

betcat, am I correct in guessing the deal would be around $34 plus tip to ride the Tri-Rail? Good for you but I cannot stand the Tri-Rail. Too many kinks that still need to be worked out.

The Tri-Rail has gotten alot better. A second track was just completed and more times added to the schedule.

If you have heavy luggage or weak people:p , it can be a chore getting on & off the train and any bus links you need.

I would get the limo as my first choice, then the rental - and if needed the tri-rail comes in third.

Add extra time or enjoy another day on the way back

M.A.

If you are looking for the best combination of affordability and ease of transfer, I would rent a car. If cost is not a factor, go with a hired ride, limo or whatever.

I believe Avis and Hertz have locations in downtown Miami where you might be able to drop off. If they don't then shuttle you to the pier, then a cab would be cheaper than the $24 it would cost from the airport, but they also have free shuttles from the airport. Find your best rental deal and call the company to confirm shuttles. Some may only run on the weekends.

If you have a lot of luggage you may consider dropping off at cruise pier first, then returning car.

Archived