Getting Around Bermuda

shirleygr

Hi, we are considering a 5 night cruise to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas. We will be docked at King's Wharf from 8 am until 5 pm the next day. We will be bringing our 2 young daughters, ages 6 and 4 with us. I would like to go to the zoo, aquarium and the caves. RC offers this as an excursion for $70 per adult and $50 per child (bus from Hamilton; duration 4 hrs), plus transportation cost to and from Hamilton (ferry?). Does this seem expensive or is it a fair price?

I rarely book excursions through the cruiseline, but with the girls in tow, I'm wondering if it would be just easier to take an organized excursion. How complicated would it be to get to the zoo and the caves on our own? I know Bermuda has an extensive bus system, but I'm afraid that might just take too long for the little ones. How expensive would it be to do taxis?

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

You can buy a 2 day pass for 12$pp, unsure about he price for kids. These are good for both the buses and ferries and can be purchased onboard.

this is the website for the bus schedules

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Ferry schedule

http://www.seaexpress.bm

Hope this helps, we will be on the EOS in Sept

the 2 day pass is $20 PP. not sure about kids' prices. that sounds fairly high BUT i don't have the excursion info in front of me........

it;s fairly easy to get around...but there really are no organzed tours other than ship excursions. there was a person on the dock who knew all about the buses and ferries and where to get on/off.

maybe someone who did this can help.........i think it's pricey but maybe it's OK due to less hassle.

Thanks for answering. I think we will go on our own. I just really don't enjoy the ship organized tours. I like going at my own pace. After looking at the schedules and reading here, if we take the ferry and then the bus, transit times won't be too bad. Just the bus sounds a little long and boring. Thanks again for posting the links. :)

Do it yourself!

Here is a very detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda. We were there for a week. We stopped in Hamilton and St. George. Hints and tips about the ship, island transportation, beaches, caves, forts and sea glass. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Enjoy your trip.

Very informative. Thanks so much for sharing. We will be on the Explorer so we will be berthed at the Dockyard, but we can just grab the ferry to Hamilton and go from there. I plan on doing the aquarium and then see if there's time/interest to go onto the caves. I find I need to be pretty flexible when cruising with my kids and plans are often adjusted based on their energy levels. I hope to get to Horseshoe the second day of our stay and just spend a couple of hours enjoying that pink sand and letting my daughters play in the water. Want to be back to the ship by 3 as we sail at 5.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that link. It seems Bermuda is fairly easy to navigate by public transport.

Very informative. Thanks so much for sharing. We will be on the Explorer so we will be berthed at the Dockyard, but we can just grab the ferry to Hamilton and go from there. I plan on doing the aquarium and then see if there's time/interest to go onto the caves. I find I need to be pretty flexible when cruising with my kids and plans are often adjusted based on their energy levels. I hope to get to Horseshoe the second day of our stay and just spend a couple of hours enjoying that pink sand and letting my daughters play in the water. Want to be back to the ship by 3 as we sail at 5.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that link. It seems Bermuda is fairly easy to navigate by public transport.

The transportation pass is $12 pp for one day, $20 for 2 and $28 for three. This allows unlimited use of all the buses and ferries. You can take the ferry to Hamilton early in the AM, then the #10 or #11 bus to the aquarium. The ferry has great water views and the bus route is along the ocean and also has nice viewing. Children under age 5 ride free according to mly public transportation shedule and brochure. Age 5-16, visitor's 1 day trans pass is $6, 3 days $14, so just buy 2 one day passes for your 6 year old. Tuesday night also is the street festival in the Dockyard, and while your ship is docked the shops are open until 10 PM. There is a Ben and Jerry's within the Clocktower Mall for an ice cream treat while you wander. You would have to take the #3 bus from the aquarium to go to the caves which are closer to St George. You could do the caves and then take the ferry back from St George, last one is 3:45 PM. Horseshoe beach is gorgeeous with the beautiful pink sand. On the way back, you could stop in the village of Somerset. Quaint village with a good pizza shop. Hope this helps.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

Thanks for all the information. I've been reading some good things about the snorkel park at the dockyard. It would be walking distance and then we could walk around the mall and check out the glass blowers and shops. Have you been to the snorkel park? Is the sand there pink, too? Thanks for all the help!

Snorkel Park does not really have pink sand, those pink-sand beaches are found on the southern shore of the island. Snorkel Park's sand is rougher than other beaches so you should consider water shoes or other footwear there. Still a nice place though.

Thanks, Swizzle. Appreciate the information.

Okay, I am debating between snorkel park and going to horseshoe. Which beach do you think would be better for my daughters--they are 6 and 4. I've read the water can be rough at horseshoe, but I'm concerned about the sand being uncomfortable at snorkel beach. Would appreciate any insights.

Thanks, Swizzle. Appreciate the information.

Okay, I am debating between snorkel park and going to horseshoe. Which beach do you think would be better for my daughters--they are 6 and 4. I've read the water can be rough at horseshoe, but I'm concerned about the sand being uncomfortable at snorkel beach. Would appreciate any insights.

There is no comparison between Horseshoe Bay and Snokle Park. Snokle Park is convenient, located near where the cruise ship docks. Horseshoe Bay is the famous pink sands beach which you see in all the travel brochures. When you go there, bear off to the right. That is an area surrounded by big coral blocks and consequently the water is much calmer. It is ideal for families. I think you would be happier at Horseshoe Bay.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

Does anyone have any personal experience with the bus and ferry system on a Sunday ?? I have used it before when in Bermuda without problems, but I hear it's greatly reduced on Sundays. We'll be at King's Wharf for one day only in August on a Sunday, so I'm wondering if we need to adjust our travel plans.

we bought bus tokens for one day, to go to the beach and back. my husband had to stand the entire way to the beach, after waiting in line for about 15-20 minutes. NOT FUN. take a taxi. The bus pass would only be worth while if you like schlepping up the hill from the beach to get the bus, to wait in line to go to another beach. once we were at the beach, we relaxed and stayed put.

Horseshoe bay, St. Catherine's and Elbo beach are the beaches we hit. all are beautiful, and are different from one another.

In Hamilton, we did the Jessie James snorkeling, which we booked on line. James is great. got a lot of info while getting to the sites. we all used noodles so we didn't have to worry about swimming and getting tired. those who wanted to used a vest. Great trip. it was $60.00/per adult, and $35.00/kid. well worth it-it's a 3 hour trip.

Have a great time. We did!:)

we bought bus tokens for one day, to go to the beach and back. my husband had to stand the entire way to the beach, after waiting in line for about 15-20 minutes. NOT FUN. take a taxi. The bus pass would only be worth while if you like schlepping up the hill from the beach to get the bus, to wait in line to go to another beach. once we were at the beach, we relaxed and stayed put.

Horseshoe bay, St. Catherine's and Elbo beach are the beaches we hit. all are beautiful, and are different from one another.

In Hamilton, we did the Jessie James snorkeling, which we booked on line. James is great. got a lot of info while getting to the sites. we all used noodles so we didn't have to worry about swimming and getting tired. those who wanted to used a vest. Great trip. it was $60.00/per adult, and $35.00/kid. well worth it-it's a 3 hour trip.

Have a great time. We did!:)

We have used the buses for years. If the bus is too crowded we just wait for the next one. The walk up the hill isn't too bad if you pace yourself. You can always take the shuttle bus up for only $1.

We have used the buses for years. If the bus is too crowded we just wait for the next one. The walk up the hill isn't too bad if you pace yourself. You can always take the shuttle bus up for only $1.

As always, I agree with cruiserssandr. The best thing about the transportation pass is that it has unlimited use for both the buses and the ferries. We start early in the morning and using a combination of ferries and buses go to 3 or 4 different destinations. You really can go from one end of the island to the other using the pass, switching from one route to another if necessary. At a busy place like horseshoe, we cheated by walking ahead to the prior bus stop and jumped ahead of the crowd. There are two number 7 buses, one goes to Barnes Corner just beyond Gibbs Lighthouse and the second goes directly to the Dockyard. The bus to Barnes Corner goes about every 15 minutes and the dockyard bus every 1/2 hour. If you took the bus to Barnes Corner you could get off and wait for either the number 7 or 8 bus to finish to the dockyard. Walking down the hill to Horseshoe is easy, butI always paid the $1 for the private shuttle up the hill on the way back.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

As always, I agree with cruiserssandr. The best thing about the transportation pass is that it has unlimited use for both the buses and the ferries. We start early in the morning and using a combination of ferries and buses go to 3 or 4 different destinations. You really can go from one end of the island to the other using the pass, switching from one route to another if necessary. At a busy place like horseshoe, we cheated by walking ahead to the prior bus stop and jumped ahead of the crowd. There are two number 7 buses, one goes to Barnes Corner just beyond Gibbs Lighthouse and the second goes directly to the Dockyard. The bus to Barnes Corner goes about every 15 minutes and the dockyard bus every 1/2 hour. If you took the bus to Barnes Corner you could get off and wait for either the number 7 or 8 bus to finish to the dockyard. Walking down the hill to Horseshoe is easy, butI always paid the $1 for the private shuttle up the hill on the way back.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

I like your idea of walking to the prior stop. You must miss a lot of the crowds doing that. About how far is that? I would love to take the shuttle up to the top but my DH thinks the excercise it good for us. Maybe I'll take it and meet him at the top. LOL We ALWAYS walk to Tobacco Bay from the ship.

I like your idea of walking to the prior stop. You must miss a lot of the crowds doing that. About how far is that? I would love to take the shuttle up to the top but my DH thinks the excercise it good for us. Maybe I'll take it and meet him at the top. LOL We ALWAYS walk to Tobacco Bay from the ship.

It is a very effective technique. Though it is a strange feeling once we are on the bus and going back to the crowded bus stop and seeing people we had left a few minutes earlier waiting to board. As we travel by bus, I always take note of where there is a crowd, such as by the Swizzle Inn or downtown Hamilton. I then note where the prior bus stop is in both directions for future use. Looking at the public transport schedule that you get with the transportation pass, I see each individual bus stop is dotted on the bus route map. It appears to be about 1/4 mile to either side of Horseshoe Bay for the prior bus stop. Of course you have to remember the bus pole is painted pink for travel towards Hamiltion and blue for away from Hamilton. I ALWAYS take the shuttle up to the top, and I am sincere when I thank the driver as he lets us out. LOL If you are ambitious and want a great walk. When you leave the aquarium, walk along side Harrington Sound Road to Devil's Hole. Fantastic views of Harrington Sound on your left and nice homes on the right. A walk of about 1500 yards by my map. From Devil's Hole a very short walk up over the hill to John Smith's Bay. The locals know about this beach, but it seems like a secret. I think it is better than Horseshoe Bay in that it is not crowded at all. A nice park at the top and reefs close to shore that cause really impressive displays of waves crashing over the reefs. I got some great photos that people ohed and ahhed over. And it has some good snokleing as well as the typical pink sands. Tobacco Bay is a nice walk, just about the right distance for good excercise, not too far.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

If you are ambitious and want a great walk. When you leave the aquarium, walk along side Harrington Sound Road to Devil's Hole. Fantastic views of Harrington Sound on your left and nice homes on the right.

:D That's the road that I used to live on! Yes I agree they are nice houses.

:D That's the road that I used to live on! Yes I agree they are nice houses.

Swizzle, where did you live on that road. It stretches from the Aquarium and wraps around Harrington Sound to Castle Harbor. A long road. Just a short way up the road from the aquarium there was a large house or apartment building. There was a pedestrian walkway high above the road leading to an apartment tower on the waterfront. Just a beautiful view and took some great photos. I didn't realize that it was an entrance to the apartment until I saw the mailboxes. Opps, hope I didn't offend anyone. How long did you live in Bermuda and do you miss it.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

I lived about halfway between the Aquarium and Devil's Hole, about 5 minutes past that pedestrian walkway (which I think was recently damaged by a truck whose driver didn't realize the load was too big to go under it). I lived there for about 5 years. I think that was enough time, the small size of the island can get to some people after a while and I felt it was time to move on. I would never be able to live there for good anyway (foreigners can only purchase property of value >$2,000,000).

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me. I am really looking forward to Bermuda and getting to see this beautiful island for myself. I know my girls will love the aquarium and the caves sound wonderful. I think we will have to go to Horseshoe just to see the sand. I appreciate the tip about the calmer area for my littles. My dh was a little ambivilant (sp?) about Bermuda (isn't it a bit stuffy? etc) but I said to him, have I ever planned a bad vacation? He had to admit, no, I never have. And it's because of wonderful people like swizzle, writeratsea, cruiserssandr, and so many others who take the time to share your experiences and information. You MAKE these boards! :)

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me. I am really looking forward to Bermuda and getting to see this beautiful island for myself. I know my girls will love the aquarium and the caves sound wonderful. I think we will have to go to Horseshoe just to see the sand. I appreciate the tip about the calmer area for my littles. My dh was a little ambivilant (sp?) about Bermuda (isn't it a bit stuffy? etc) but I said to him, have I ever planned a bad vacation? He had to admit, no, I never have. And it's because of wonderful people like swizzle, writeratsea, cruiserssandr, and so many others who take the time to share your experiences and information. You MAKE these boards! :)

Thank you for your gracious acknowledgement. You will notice many regular contributors to these boards. We take the time to share our knowledge and experience to other cruisers to enhance their vacation. You have limited amounts of time on vacation and we hope our advice helps to utilize that time to best use. Still it is nice when someone shows appreciation, it is a nice feeling. Reassure your DH, I have been coming to Bermuda since 1967 and I am going again in Sept, 2006. There really is some kind of magical attraction that I can't explain, just like the feeling I get at Disneyworld. If this is your first time, it won't be your last. Bermuda really is one of the most beautiful places on earth. That is why I recommend the bus pass to everyone. It allows unlimited use of the ferries and buses, which are a great way to see and savor all the sights Bermuda has to offer.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

Thank you for your gracious acknowledgement. You will notice many regular contributors to these boards. We take the time to share our knowledge and experience to other cruisers to enhance their vacation. You have limited amounts of time on vacation and we hope our advice helps to utilize that time to best use. Still it is nice when someone shows appreciation, it is a nice feeling. Reassure your DH, I have been coming to Bermuda since 1967 and I am going again in Sept, 2006. There really is some kind of magical attraction that I can't explain, just like the feeling I get at Disneyworld. If this is your first time, it won't be your last. Bermuda really is one of the most beautiful places on earth. That is why I recommend the bus pass to everyone. It allows unlimited use of the ferries and buses, which are a great way to see and savor all the sights Bermuda has to offer.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

I understand everyone has very busy lives and it's wonderful that you take the time out of your schedule to share your experiences. I try to reciprocate whenever I can, and I agree it feels good to receive that appreciation.

BTW, my very first cruise was on the NCL Majesty, just before she was stretched. I see you've been on her several times. What do you like/dislike about her? Just curious.

I understand everyone has very busy lives and it's wonderful that you take the time out of your schedule to share your experiences. I try to reciprocate whenever I can, and I agree it feels good to receive that appreciation.

BTW, my very first cruise was on the NCL Majesty, just before she was stretched. I see you've been on her several times. What do you like/dislike about her? Just curious.

I guess what I like best about the Majesty is that I feel very comfortable. The size feels just right, I can find my way around the ship and not get lost. The crew is just very friendly and hardworking, they will do anything for you. I also like the fact that the Majesty is able to dock at ST. George for 3 1/2 days, because she is not over 800 feet long such as many of the newer Megaships. There is so much to see and do in Bermuda, that we need all of the days we are there. I couldn't be satisfied with just one day. Every time I go back, I see and experience new and different things. It really is a combination of the ship and the itinerary. For our next cruise, we want to try a Caribbean tour probably the Eastern half, such as Antigua, Virgin Islands etc. But any other cruise we take is going to be one port, one day and that will be an adjustment after this intinerary.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

Archived