Are there any recommendations for for the best things to do in London?

nana&papagotosea

London is my favorite city in the world. I lived there in the 1970's and never ran out of things to see and do. Last visited there exactly a year ago.

I agree that The Tower is a must do. The London Eye is great too. Changing of the Guard is very colorful. A walk thru any of the large parks is very nice. We saw Margaret Thatcher on our walk thru Kensington Gardens last year. Harrods is fun to visit just to see what they have on display. Fortnam and Mason have great take home gifts, especially tea and tinned sweets.

Whatever you do and see, you will have a wonderful time. And if it rains, don't let that stop you; Londoners never do.

Here's our list of favorite things to see and do in London not on other people's lists:

1 - Go to St. Paul's Cathedral and climb to the top. No elevator, two levels to view: The Whispering Gallery half way up, and at the top you go outside to view London. About 500 steps up and another 500 down. From there, either eat in a traditional place like Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, nearby, or walk across the Millenium Bridge (AKA the Wobbly Bridge) to the Tate Modern.

2 - When at Buckingham Palace, visit the Queen's Gallery, immediately adjacent. It has a more interesting collection of priceless objects owned by the Royal Family, IMHO, than the Crown Jewels at The Tower of London. The Crown Jewels are 10 crowns, literally, viewed on a moving sidewalk, with a very long line. No wait, no time limit, and very close up viewing at the Queens' Gallery

3 - The Houses of Parliament are also available for tours during August and September when Parliament is in session. You can pre-book online, arrive to get your tickets 1/2 hour in advance or join the line about 15 minutes before your scheduled time. Same thing with Buckingham Palace, no need to stand in line forever, they'll call your pre-booked time.

4 - Visit Sir John Soame's Museum, a truly eclectic museum in two townhouses (his home), assembled by Sir John Soame, an architect. He's got everything, including a sarcophagus. Takes about an hour.

5 - Go online to the web site for London Walks, or pick up their brochure at the airport. They have great small group walking tours all over London. The only ones we found that weren't small and intimate were the Jack the Ripper walk and the British Museum walk. We went on a couple of the pub crawls, a great way to spend the evening in London, on a night when you don't want to see a show. It's site seeing with beer or soda every hour. You tour a neighborhood in depth, and visit 3 or more pubs on the way.

6 - Walk the Thames on the south side. You can cross the Tower Bridge after seeing the Tower of London. There is a small exhibit on the construction of the bridge at the top, and you can walk across at the top, too. There's an elevator. Nearby is the Design Museum, which usually has small eccentric exhibits, like History of Chairs, or The Ford Thunderbird, Old and New, etc. Shakespeare's Globe is on that side of the Thames, Tate Modern, as mentioned before, and the London Eye. You can also pre-book the London Eye online.

7 - Visit the Victoria and Albert Museum, if the construction is done. it was a mess last year. This is a museum of the decorative arts, with tapestries, glass, wrought iron, clothing, furniture. They used to publish a brochure with a suggested tour, depending on how much time you wanted to spend in the museum. Nearby are the Science Museum and Natural History Museum. We haven't visited those, but would be a good change for a family with kids.

8- If you visit Harrod's you can eat there. The roof patio was less stuffy and more fun than the main restaurant. If you buy something or eat there, be sure to visit the restrooms. There's a charge for the restroom, unless you make a purchase. It's a hoot.

9 - Visit the Markets: Portabello Road for Antiques and Camden Locks for cutting edge, sometimes punk, fashions.

Oops, I forgot, you only have 3 days. Most of all, walk, take the tube, and have fun.

My wife and I have been to London a number of times and we never tire of walking tours by a group called, I believe, London Walks. Their walking tours are quite diverse, Including a "Jack the Ripper" walking tour at night. They have a website so you can look before you go.

But don't miss Liberty of london or Fortnam and Mason...

Also Jerym street which is like stepping pack in time.

I agree that stops for tea or other libations at pubs are a must...don't wear yourself out... london can be exhausting...but after 28 trips there I am still captivated....

Love the theater...a must...What's on sTage is a great web site about london theater...

Tale the tube and bus and wear comfroatble shoes......

Enjoy

Not knowing your age, but if you can remember WWII, the War Room is an absolute must - even our post Korean/Vietnam children enjoyed the tour. And if you are into antiques at all, the silvervaults are very interesting - and there some good bargains.

There are a lot of good website to log onto to get more ideas, just google what you are interested in.

I Really Envy You Going On A Cruise An Staying In London. If I Had

To Pick I Would Say Buckingham Palace & Changing Of The Guard. A Must See And Kensington Palace Were Princess Diana Lived And Were Queen Victoria Lived Before She Became Queen. The Park Right Next To It Is Beautiful.there Is A Pool In The Middle Of Were People Come To Sail There Small Sail Boats. Quite A Sight.

The Double Decker Buses Are A Must. And Seeing You Have The Train Pass As Well Take One Day And Go Down To Dover By Train.

It Is So Beautiful And The White Cliffs Are Unforgetable. It Is Also Were One Of The Largest Castles In England Is. Dover Castle Was Built In The 12th Century. Hidden Inside The Famous White Cliffs And Under The Castle Is A Network Of Underground Tunnels Constructed In The Middle Ages. It Played A Very Important Role In World War Ii. Churchill Used It As A War Room And You Can See It All. The Views On Top Are So Very Beautiful.

The Country Side Outside Of London Is Wonderful And Great Views From The Train.

The Tower Of London Is Another Must See And Westminster Abby.

You Have To Put Alot Into 3 Days But You Can Do It. My Husband And I Traveled By Double Decker All The Time We Were In London Except For The Train Trip. Sorry To Make This So Long But I Hope It Helps You Make Up Your Minds.

Have A Great Trip. Will Be Thinking Of You.:) Irish Lady

Royal Princess, Star Princess

Dawn Princess

Catchy title Huh?!:)

I think everyone has hit well on London.

London Walks- A different side. They have many offerings and I have been on two of the walks and loved every moment.

With the pass. I have an infatuation with Stonehenge. I took a train to Salsbury and then a short bus ride to the rocks. They have a self guided audio tour. If you go out there in the morning that gives you enough time to go to the Cathedral in Salsbury. It holds the record for the tallest steepel in the world. They have limited (8) sunset tours to the top. No Elevator, Just very tight windy stairs. Not too many people know about this. It was amazing to see the construction...They used a mast from a ship to help support the roof. Some of the first Iron work.

I have also always wanted to go to Bath. I hear there are great things in bath.

Gosh this is making me want to go visit again.

I hope everyone has a blast!!!

Ginger

Archived