Plz help: Explorer again or Crown Princess

I have never asked for help on any of these threads, usually giving it out and starting my own threads for M and M on roll calls, but for the first time I need it. Just got off the Explorer on Sunday and loved it, and as you have seen , cruised quite a bit so far and upcoming.I don't fly so I am limited to NY, NJ and Boston (from Mass) as my ports. We already booked the Jewel for Oct and the Explorer again for next July but Hubby has now suggested we try a different line for 2007 and wants to do the Crown Princess on 7/5 next year instead. I have been happy with RCL and grown familiar with their ways. So my question is............

Should I do the Crown Princess in July 2007 or Explorer again?????

I think more so than the pluses, I think I would like the negatives. Thank you in advance. If we should switch to Princess I would want to do so in the next few days.

Also, does the Princess Line do Meet and Mingles? I had started the thread for ours for the Explorer a year before we left and I just loved the people and the posts and meeting them on the ship. That wouldn't sway me, just curious.

Princess does not do M&Ms as such and there was a very recent thread on the Princess board about this.

Just a few things to consider:

Crown has a true adult only area in the Sanctuary.

Explorer is much larger than Crown yet the max capacity is not much different so you may feel more crowded on Princess.

Crown has fresh water pools vs salt water on RCI and also a 24 hour buffet. RCI has better and more extensive room service options.

On Crown, the balconies are tiered and offer little privacy.:( But, minisuites are very nicely priced vs JS on RCI.

Princess allows you to bring aboard wine and pay a corkage, RCI is cracking down and has a much less tolerant policy.

That said, they are both too big for my tastes.:)

We already booked the Jewel for Oct and the Explorer again for next July but Hubby has now suggested we try a different line for 2007 and wants to do the Crown Princess on 7/5 next year instead.
While I am working on loyalty with RCI, I think your past has shown that you have experienced another line....and you already got one good suggestion! I say go with Princess and try it. :D

Actually, last night I watched a DVD that I received from Princess. They show cased some of their ships. Explorer is my favorite ship but I am giving some thought to trying Princess. The biggest part of a cruise for me is the ship. And exploring a new ship is a big part of the cruise experience for me. I found that when we did Mariner after Explorer there was not a lot of that "wow" factor as you find new things. Yes there are differences but I knew where just about everything would be before I even stepped aboard Mariner. There just wasn't that "little kid" excitement as you explore.

We did Serenade for our cruise last year as I wanted to try something different from the Voyager class ships. I was nervous that I wouldn't like the Radiance class as I liked the Voyager ships so much. But it was fun exploring and finding new things on her. And we had a great week.

Since I don't really want to do a smaller ship and I am not crazy about Freedom's present itinerary, if I want a new type of ship to explore I have to look at a new cruise line. Princess may be it unless I decide to go back to something that is tried and tested and I know I'll enjoy like Adventure's Aruba route.

Making a change is always hard. When you find something that you like you don't want to be let down trying something new and having it not be as good as what you left behind. But if you don't take chances you never know what you might be missing either. I went through that when I switched from Celebrity to RCI. I was nervous that it might be a mistake but as it turned out I never looked back.

I am also trying Princess. They had too good of a deal to pass up. We got a mini-suite for 4 nights doing the Pacific Coast for $434 each. There was a special deal through Orbitz. It is on the Sapphire Princess. I figured, what the heck, give it a try.

My favorite ship of all time is Celebrity's Infinity. I could go on that one over and over again. We are doing Radiance to Alaska in Sept. I am looking forward to exploring that ship....:D

we are thinking of the same 7/5 sailing on Crown! We just got off the Navigator (great time) a year after doing the Mariner (also a great cruise) with a few other cruises sprinkled around and between. But, as much as we enjoyed our cruises on these two Voyager class ships, I also feel ready to try something different. Add to that the fact that we had major delays flying down to Florida this time and our son asking why can't we just cruise out of NY...He has a point and I've heard nice enough things about Princess, so we're thinking why not? How bad can it be??? While we've liked our RCI cruises very much, it's not like they were perfect - so other than the traffic around here and trying to get to Brooklyn, it can't be too bad, right?

Let us know what you decide - maybe we can start our own M&M...

Hi 42!!!

Funny you mentioned M and M. I had started my thread for the Explorer 6/30 cruise I just came back from (its still there u can check it out) a year ago and met great people and had a very nice M and M turnout. Will definitely be getting a group going if one isn't already.

Ok, I have this question about the 2 ships in 2 different places and every single post has said to go different and I will really enjoy it and do the Princess, so.......hubby is at work calling now to check room availabilities for that 7/5 date. I Will keep you posted 42, please do the same!!! It looks like we will be booking tonight.

How old is your son?

dzboss - our son is 11. We also have a 13 yo daughter. It's too bad that the Crown does not offer any connecting rooms. We've gotten spoiled with having two separate, but not too separate, rooms from the kids. Most ships now offer many nice configurations for connectors, but not on the Crown. I was on the phone myself this afternoon trying to see what our options/availability are. We must have a weird "vibe" thing going on...we also sailed on 6/30 this year, but on the Navigator.

Interestingly enough, after jumping into this thread, I received a coupon in the mail from Princess. I suppose we'll have to move this "conversation" to a different board if we both decide on Princess.

lol...yes we will hopefully be moving this, 42. So funny too that we both sailed on 6/30. Well hubby has got info and we hope to get it settled tonight. We just have to figure a few things out. We had the owners suite on the Explorer (had it on Voyager and will again on the Jewel) and had it again for next year but then decided on the ship last week that we might want to be in 2 JS to get the kids (17 and 20 right now) their own bathroom and tv (can get crazy). So we ended up rebooking the 2 JS on the Explorer and getting the online discount. But if we indeed book on Princess, not sure I want the 2 rooms and might do another big room. Hubby and I need to sit down together and look at layout. I also need to be mid ship so have to see availability. Then we will make the call. Would love to see this settled tonight. Will keep you posted.

Hi dzboss1. If you look at my signature, you'll see that I've done both Princess and RCI. I was a big Princess fan before my first RCI cruise, and I was a little nervous about "switching." Well, now I'm a big Princess and RCI fan! :D Yes, each line has some differences (small usually,IMHO, but then I've never had a bad cruise! :p ) but both lines are very comparable. I'm very intrigued about the Crown and hope to try her in the future. Of course, I feel the same way about Freedom! I guess I'm trying to say don't worry about changing to Princess from RCI. I'll bet you'll end up being like me - a fan of both lines. :) Here's hoping that you get your cruise booked tonight or soon! Doesn't it feel just great to get that booking done? :D

Elf

Crusin ~~~ TY so very much for those kind words. I really feel stupid being nervous about switching when I am so happy with the Explorer but I do know variety is the spice of life. Hubby still on with TA...the cabins we want are not available for 7/5, so looking at 7/14 or 6/26. Hope this isn't a sign!!!! lol

I want to thank everyone for the help, but after 2 hours on the phone with TA, we cannot get the rooms we want for the dates we need so it looks like we might just be staying with the Explorer. But for next summer anyway, the Princess is out. TY all again for the wonderful information!!

Hi dzboss1. Aw, I'm sorry things didn't work out for you on the Crown. :( I was looking forward to reading your review! Next time though! :) As you already know, you won't be disappointed with Explorer at all! I know that since I sailed on her last winter. Wonderful ship and the food was outstanding. Best I've had on RCI!

Maybe someday in the future we can sail on the Crown together! :)

Elf

TY Elf. I am certainly not at all disappointed at not being able to get on the Crown this time...but plenty of more cruises ahead!!!! We are now working on our second one for the fall of 2007..who knows!!!

Archived