RCCL or Princess...HELP!

dzboss1

I have never asked for help on any of these threads, usually giving it out and starting my own threads for M and M on roll calls, but for the first time I need it. Just got off the Explorer on Sunday and loved it, and as you have seen , cruised quite a bit so far and upcoming.I don't fly so I am limited to NY, NJ and Boston (from Mass) as my ports. We already booked the Jewel for Oct and the Explorer again for next July but Hubby has now suggested we try a different line for 2007 and wants to do the Crown Princess on 7/5 next year instead. I have been happy with RCL and grown familiar with their ways. So my question is............

Should I do the Crown Princess in July 2007 or Explorer again?????

I think more so than the pluses, I think I would like the negatives. Thank you in advance. If we should switch to Princess I would want to do so in the next few days.

NCL Majesty 7/2000

NCL Majesty 7/2001

NCL Dawn 7/2003

NCL Dawn 7/2004

RCL Voyager 7/2005

RCL Enchantment 8/2005

NCL Dawn 9/2005

Yacht.gif

RCL Explorer 6/30/2006

I would definitely try the Crown Princess. Too many ships out there to keep going on the same one if there is a choice. Great time to give Princess a try and compare the two. Who knows, you might find that Princess is equal, if not better (this is how we feel about the two lines) to the RCI ship you sailed on.

We've sailed both lines (Voyager for RCI; Dawn Princess & Sapphire Princess for Princess). Loved them both, but I agree with Toto2Kansas - there are too many ships to do the same ones over and over.

I'd give the Crown a try (we are thinking of booking for Sept 2007).

Waiting for more replies here and I also posted at RCL, but you two are saying what hubby is saying...lets try another one now. Since we do 2 a year we can always go back to the Explorer if need be, or hopefully more ships will come to those 3 ports. TY for the speedy responses...I think it isn't going to take much now to sway me to Princess. Infact hubby just read your two posts at work and called and say lets book it tonight!! lol. I think we will probably do so, but will still take more comments and if we do book tonight I will let you all know so thread doesn't run endlessly!! Looking forward to more posts.

We took our first cruise last September on RCCL Voyager of the Seas out of NJ and loved it! We even signed up for the RCCL Visa card, joined the club (forgot the name!) and were planning another cruise with them this September. But! I went to NYC to visit my son and saw the Crown Princess sitting at the pier waiting for her maiden voyage and became obsessed with the ship. I've been reading everything I can find on the Crown and decided last night to book a cruise in late September on the Princess Crown. We compared itineries, prices and reviews and decided to try a brand new ship. I also like the anytime dining option. Can't wait for September! :)

Thats another thing in bringing up the Voyager, WM. We did that last summer and the Explorer and Voyager are soo similar...do I really want to be on the same ship for a 3rd time??? Hmmmmmm. I think Princess on 7/5 is looking better and better!!

We were on the Explorer this year and was going to rebook her for next year while on board to get a $200 on board credit. (We were actually doing the paperwork when the network went down). So after we took the extra time to look for a different cruise and decided on the Crown Princess because it has 2 ports we haven't been to yet (Grand Turk & Bermuda). The Explorer also goes to Bermuda, but we liked the Crown better. Besides we have always wanted to try Princess, but my wife won't fly, so our choices have been limited in the past. The only thing we hate is to give up the Diamond Crown and Anchor for a non repeater on Princess. But you have to start sometime.

Actually I'm thinking about the same two ships. Have been on Voyager of the Seas and Caribbean Princess. Both have their strong and weak points. The Voyager is an amazing ship. I was in awe of the promenade and the dining room from day one to day 9. Activities especially for teens were amazing. It was a fun ship. The Caribbean Princess had absolutely no "wow" factor. The service and food were far superior to Voyager. The food is the main thing that is making me hesitant to book the Explorer. I felt the Voyager was the worst (food) of all the lines I was on (Princess, Hal, and Celebrity). I also felt pampered on CB and not at all on Voyager.

Nice looking family Jeff!!! We went to Bermuda twice on the NCL Majesty (omg that was a small ship and I was seasick both times!!!) The Explorer one I am booked on also is going to Bermuda instead of Labadee, St. Thomas, St Maartin, San Juan, so having Bermuda on the Itinerary for the Princess would be the same. The only difference would be St Maartin/Grand Turk, and I never never been to Grand Turk. To be truthful, the ports don't interest me as much as the ship. I know my family loved the ATV ride through the rain forest in san Juan and would do that again, and in St Thomas they did BOB, and would do that or helmet diving. I think in Bermuda we would chill on the beach. We had booked the Explorer 3 months ago, but rebooked and changed rooms and got the on board credit, but we realize to do the same rooms on the Princess is actually less money.

We cruise on both Princess and Royal Caribbean, and enjoy both lines. There are really a lot of similarities.

I wrote a review of the Explorer after our cruise to Bermuda last month. In the review I made a lot of comparisons of RC/Princess. The review is posted on the main Royal Caribbean board...June 25, 2006 was the date of our cruise.

Here's a link to the review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=374532

Cindy ~~~ Ty for that lengthy detailed review. I remember reading it before this since your cruise preceded mine, but I only had skimmed it at the time since I wasn't looking for a comparison. This time I really read it...lol. You gave me a lot of great info, and made me a little homesick for the Explorer just now as the memories came flooding back. But I think it makes sense to try something different, and although the Crown is a smaller ship, it isn't that small and it is new. As I type, hubby is at work calling to check again the Princess Crown room availabilities and dates. I have a feeling we are making the change tonight...will keep you posted and would still like any more posts till it is officially booked. TY in advance. If anyone is interested in what the 9 day Explorer was like, I have a thread for that date in roll calls with a quicker review.

I like both lines, but I like Princess a little better. I'd give Princess a try. You get a fairly new ship when you cruise and it's nice to compare. You may find a better cruise or it may help you believe stronger in your favorite.

I want to thank everyone for the help, but after 2 hours on the phone with TA, we cannot get the rooms we want for the dates we need so it looks like we might just be staying with the Explorer. But for next summer anyway, the Princess is out. TY all again for the wonderful information!!

What two types of rooms were you thinking of on the Crown? We're still trying to decide if we can find the right combo with our two kids. I'm really missing the fact that RCI offers true connecting rooms. Your kids are older, so it's probably not as much of an issue. Anyway, we're still trying to consider our options.

Archived