Spirit ~ Drinking Water

Experienced cruisers: would you or would you not bring a portable Brita? From a prev post, I gathered that the only bottles of H2O were Evian at $4.25 a pop! I am from Long Island, we don't drink tap water (for health reasons LOL, not elitest NYer reasons.) How is the ship H2O? We are planning on bringing a case of bottled water, and using the extra room in our luggage for as we free it up for souviners (I think it was a great tip!) But would the water filter be going a bit too far?

AHOY ME HEARTYS!

eeeEEEeeeEEEe... 33 days! look at my counter! I have a counter now! :D

Experienced cruisers: would you or would you not bring a portable Brita? From a prev post, I gathered that the only bottles of H2O were Evian at $4.25 a pop! I am from Long Island, we don't drink tap water (for health reasons LOL, not elitest NYer reasons.) How is the ship H2O? We are planning on bringing a case of bottled water, and using the extra room in our luggage for as we free it up for souviners (I think it was a great tip!) But would the water filter be going a bit too far?

AHOY ME HEARTYS!

eeeEEEeeeEEEe... 33 days! look at my counter! I have a counter now! :D

For me the ship water is fine. Never had a problem on all my cruises with the tap water.

Agree with judyf! Ship water is just fine. I am sure they filter the water they serve you to drink. On the Dawn, I would go to the gym early in the morning and then stop by the Blue Lagoon on my way back to the cabin and have a couple of glasses of water, from the tap. It was fine and refreshing!

The water on a ship is by far better then any tap water on land.

Fill up your bottle from the buffet..........not directly into the bottle (health reasons) put it in a glass then pour into your portable bottle........I will assume that you have one;)

I have done what Seahorse stated...take a glass and fill it up then pour it into a water bottle! This works well for shore excursions so that you don't have to pay for bottled water. I also don't care for the taste of Evian. I prefer Poland Spring, Deer Park or Dasani when it comes to bottled water.

We have considered bringing a small Brita pitcher/filter with us on our next cruise. We have liked the water in the restaurants but not our room.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Brita filters out any of the salt (sodium) that is left in the water after the ship's processes make it safe to drink. I'm asking because I couldn't find any info out on te Brita website. And in response to a thread over on "Ask a Cruise Question" about swollen feet, etc. (Think it was titled "Health Question."

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Most newer cruise ships use a reverse osmosis process to purify drinking water instead of evaporators. Most of the salt is removed by either process.

For more information about them, read these links.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question29.htm

http://www.kurion.co.uk/Vacuum_Evaporation_2.html

The second link has other links to descibe other water filtration methods too.

We just came back from the Dawn and brought a case of water with us. One of the best things we did, since we did detect a certain taste to the water on board (just what you are used to, I guess, as we are faithful water bottle drinkers).

Someone gave us the "tip" to check it with your luggage. We put an address label on the case (the plastic wrapped type) with our name and room number and it showed up at our room, just after our luggage. We asked the steward to please remove the items from the fridge, and he replaced them with the water...cold water all week! :)

Archived