Viking or Uniworld?

maceddie

We are planning to try our first river cruise after about a dozen ocean cruises. Is there a big difference between Viking and Uniworld. Also any difference between doing AMS to BUD verses BUD to AMS?? We are planning on a late September date. Thanks, maceddie

Take a look at Avalon Waterways. They are affiliated with Globus Gateway, and I think they have there act together, especially their shore excursions. When I took that cruise last May I chose Budapest to Amsterdam for two reasons. 1) Weather patterns run from west to east in that section of Europe, I reasoned that if we hit a spell of bad weather we could sail through it rather than sailing with it in the other direction. We were fortunate to sail through 1 rain shower on the Maine and 1 heading to Amsterdam 2) The flight to Budapest is the longer flight. By sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam we left the shorter flight for our journey home. Just my thoughts. I think the best thing to do when choosing a river cruise is to find the itinerery you like all the lines that cater to the american tourist seem to do a good job.

Finding the roght itinerary is most important. Then you nedd to decide if you want all English speaking--doesn't mean all American. It means that all tours and business are conducted in Eng. Then look to see how regimented the tours and dining room are. Must you eat with the same people all the time---tour on the same bus with same group all the time? Then look to see how the shore excursions are priced--included or optional. Another thing, not all cabins on all lines have hotel style bedding. Web sites and brochures usually have a schematic of the cabin. This board is sooooo helpful. There are no questions that won't be taken seriously---all of us have been that first time traveler. A really important idea--use a travel agent---when something goes wrong, they handle it. On our last trip, my DH's name was spelled wrong on his ticket. TA was the one who spent the time on the phone---not us. Whatever you choose, it will be a wonderful trip. Pat

We have been on two Viking cruises, 2004 & 2006. Very pleased.

Might want to start in Budapest for two simple reasons, our flight got us into Amsterdam in the morning. Viking had us to the ship by 1000 AM.

Cabins are not ready until about 2:00 PM. Additional flght leg to Budapest

should get you to ship about time to board. Most Americans have aleady visited Amsterdamn and would enjoy an entire day in Budapest if they decide to go in early.

Look at the prices...

Viking is having a great sale at the moment (prepay and save up to $450/person) for '07, and Uniworld sometimes has sales.

Viking has great 2/1 sales especially if you don't mind cruising in Sept., Oct., and Nov. You need to sign up for either their e-mail or mailings to get them.

We have been on two Viking cruises, 2004 & 2006. Very pleased.

Might want to start in Budapest for two simple reasons, our flight got us into Amsterdam in the morning. Viking had us to the ship by 1000 AM.

Cabins are not ready until about 2:00 PM. Additional flght leg to Budapest

should get you to ship about time to board.

Viking has arranged our air for Oct. Budapest to Amsterdam. We leave LAX at 5:55 pm and arrive in Budapest at 4:45 pm the next day. We are very pleased with these arrangements.

We just returned from a Uniworld cruise on the River Royale from Lyon to Arles in France.We have been on many cruises,but this was our first river cruise,and I was extremely pleased withn all aspects of the trip.Uniworld is so professional in their handling of everything-the excursions were wonderful-we never had more than 20 in our group-the guides were knowledgeable and friendly.The dining room was open seating-we met a group and had dinner with them every night,but you are free to sit with whomever at any time.The meals were fantastic,as were the wines.The hotel manager took care of every detail for us,and the bartender was wonderful.We had the basic cabin on the lowest level,with just portholes,but it was more than adequate.The beds are fantastic-never slept so well in my life.If I'm raving,it's because there was not a thing I could complain about-one of the best travel experiences I've ever had-would not hesitate to travel with Uniworld again.

Ailmod,

So glad you enjoyed the River Royale as much as we did. Everyone was so professional, yet so friendly. It was one of our best travel experiences. There was one drawback--wish it had been longer. The current issue of Porthole magazine features the River Royale on the cover with an 8 page spread inside. The only crew member seen is Julian, the maitre d'. We have really become great fans of river cruising--numbers 5&6 in the works for next year. Pat

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking of doing the Burgundy/Provence cruise with Uniworld in 2007. Did you use Uniworld for the flight arrangements? Where did you fly into, and out of for this cruise?

Thanks,

Annette

We flew into Paris and out of Nice. We took advantage of an offer made to repeat cruisers to stay 3 nites in Paris pre-cruise. We stayed 3 nites in Nice on our own. We used Uniworld's air with the deviation out of Nice. We flew non-stop on Air France Cincinnatti to Paris. The return on Air France also was Nice to Paris to Cincy. The lights went smoothly. Air France did change our seats outbound, so at the gate desk we were able to get 2 seats together . The planes seat configuration was 2-4-2. Any other questions? Pat

Viking has arranged our air for Oct. Budapest to Amsterdam. We leave LAX at 5:55 pm and arrive in Budapest at 4:45 pm the next day. We are very pleased with these arrangements.

We leave Newak 4:30 PM Eastern and arrive in Budapest @ 12 Noon. (We have a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam.) You must be on a direct flight. Nice going!

We leave Newak 4:30 PM Eastern and arrive in Budapest @ 12 Noon. (We have a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam.) You must be on a direct flight. Nice going!

Sorry for the misunderstanding- No it is not a direct flight. We fly from LAX at 5:55 pm arriving in Amsterdam at 1:15 pm the next day on KLM. We have an hour and a half layover and then it is a KLM flight number on Malev Hungarian at 2:45 pm arriving at 4:45 pm.

Our return flight is direct on KLM from Amsterdam to LAX.

Archived