Forming a Cruise Critic Official Group - Anyone interested in Crown Princess 08/01/07

SanFranBayCruiser

Looking to form an official Cruise Critic Group specifically on Crown Princess on the August 1, 2007 sailing. All earned "free" cabins will be turned over to the group to help lower the cost for everyone. Once we get a commitment of 8 or more cabins for this sailing , I will then get in touch with Laura to ask for permission to make this an Official Cruise Critic members cruise. There is only one Cruise Critic Cruise scheduled for August, 2007, so, as long as there is enough interest, we should get approval.

There will be no forced meetings or socializing. Consider this a non-group "group". In other words, people who would like the group pricing and amenities but, don't necessarily want the socializing often associated with groups. If you want to meet other members, you can but, we will not be scheduling anything formal!

If you're interested please post here

Here is the link for itinerary and pricing information from the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/pb/priceDetails.do?voyageCode=3729&date=&noOfPax=2&definition_name=

Itinerary:

Day Port Arrival Departure

Aug 1 New York City (Brooklyn), New York 5:00 PM

Aug 2 At Sea

Aug 3 Bermuda (West End) 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Aug 4 At Sea

Aug 5 San Juan, Puerto Rico 12:00 PM 11:00 PM

Aug 6 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Aug 7 Grand Turk 1:00 PM 6:00 PM

Aug 8 At Sea

Aug 9 At Sea

Aug 10 New York City (Brooklyn), New York 7:15 AM

Would like to see prices before committing, but, it looks promising. I was going to book Royal Caribbean's Explorer out of Bayonne on August 3, 2007 but, the "group" prices are no better than what I can book as an individual.

That being said, even at the individual price, the Crown is still cheaper and pretty much the same itinerary. So, get the pricing and you might be including us in your group.

Even if I can't talk you into 2 cruises earlier(July 14), my wife, daughter, son in law and I may be interested. We'd take one mini suite and one balcony cabin. We just got back from the July 2 cruise and figure that by then Princess will have found another gas station in NY. Thanks. Bob

You can include at least 4 of us from the greater Washington DC area, I'm always looking for an excuse to get to NYC! And heck August doesn't bother me, I can take vacation anytime with enough advanced notice. So, count us in for 2 cabins.

I will be on the Crown 8-25, my family which would be about 8 cabins said if I like the ship put something together for next summer. I was wondering if it could be the 8-10 cruise as my wife and myself only get 2 weeks vacation, the 8-10 cruise leaves on a Friday which we could go to work in the morning then head to the ship and only take 1 week vacation leaving us another week to do somethig else.

I will be on the Crown 8-25, my family which would be about 8 cabins said if I like the ship put something together for next summer. I was wondering if it could be the 8-10 cruise as my wife and myself only get 2 weeks vacation, the 8-10 cruise leaves on a Friday which we could go to work in the morning then head to the ship and only take 1 week vacation leaving us another week to do somethig else.

We're flexible! That would be ok by us!

I'm sure we' could take the 8/10 sailing too. So, no problem going with the majority rule. And just so everyone is clear the August 10, 2007 is exactly the same itinerary as August 1, 2007 sailing...and a bit cheaper! Here is the link: http://www.princess.com/pb/priceDetails.do?voyageCode=3730&date=0807&noOfPax=2&definition_name=

Well it looks like we're off to a decent start! I'd like a few more votes, regardless of the sail date, before putting in the official request.

Nick - Thanks for asking, getting there, it's a slow process but, I'm winning the battle. I should be fine to enjoy this cruise next summer!

Chef - No problem, as long as everyone else is agreeable, we can certainly switch to the August 10, 2007 sailing. Especially if you can bring 8 cabins to the group!

So please keep posting if you're interested!

SanFranBayCruise,

Can you please explain further on how this works..... DH & I would love to cruise in August. Give me details - please

Looking to form an official Cruise Critic Group specifically on Crown Princess on the August 1, 2007 sailing. All earned "free" cabins will be turned over to the group to help lower the cost for everyone. Once we get a commitment of 8 or more cabins for this sailing , I will then get in touch with Laura to ask for permission to make this an Official Cruise Critic members cruise. There is only one Cruise Critic Cruise scheduled for August, 2007, so, as long as there is enough interest, we should get approval.

Thanks, Chris

SanFranBayCruise,

Can you please explain further on how this works..... DH & I would love to cruise in August. Give me details - please

Thanks, Chris

Hey Chris,

It's pretty simple, first we all agree on the same ship and sailing date. Once we have at least 8 cabins confirmed, in other words, you don't have to be booked already, as long as you're willing and agreeing to book the specific ship and sailing date then you can say you that your "in".

Once, we can absolutely fill a minimum of 8 cabins, which is the requirement for a group on most cruise lines, then I will write Laura, our community leader here on Cruise Critic and ask her to make this an "official" cruise critic member sailing. Laura then contacts the travel agencies that book the group cruises for Cruise Critic and, they will present their offers to Laura. Laura will then select the best offer and, they become there official travel agent for the group.

Being group leader, I am giving up the "free" cabins earned. Most cruise lines "give away" free cabins once you hit the magic number of 8 cabins, 16 passengers. So by giving the free cabin or cabins, depending on how many people sign up for this cruise, the price is lowered for the entire group. For example, on the August 10th sailing, inside cabins are going for $999 per person. And since it's almost always the least expensive category that is given as the free cabin, we're going to use it for demonstration purposes here. So the cabin would have a retail value of $1998, now assuming we only make the minimum quota for groups and have only 16 passengers in the group that means every passenger would get a discount of about $124. So if you wanted the $999 per person inside cabin, booking with the group that price would drop to $875 per person.

I hope I made that easy to understand... Anyhow, in addition to the lower cost there are usually amenity points associated with a group. These vary, so we'll have to see this sailing date has any amenities points. If we do, then we can usually select things like onboard credit or wine or other gifts as incentives to book with the group.

Everything else remains the same...unless by some miracle we get reduced deposit rates...don't count on it though. So, if you want to join, you simply post here and, then, once we become official, I put up all the contact information and prices for the agency that will be booking the cruise for us.

Additionally, Laura will make us our own webpage and, we can start a Roll Call for anyone interested in meeting other Cruise Critics on the sailing.

If I've confused you...just let me know!

We can do either date both Aug 1 and Aug 10 work, so, just keep us informed, but, DO count us "in"!

Hey Chris,

Once, we can absolutely fill a minimum of 8 cabins, which is the requirement for a group on most cruise lines, then I will write Laura, our community leader here on Cruise Critic and ask her to make this an "official" cruise critic member sailing. Laura then contacts the travel agencies that book the group cruises for Cruise Critic and, they will present their offers to Laura. Laura will then select the best offer and, they become there official travel agent for the group.

Being group leader, I am giving up the "free" cabins earned. Most cruise lines "give away" free cabins once you hit the magic number of 8 cabins, 16 passengers. So by giving the free cabin or cabins, depending on how many people sign up for this cruise, the price is lowered for the entire group. For example, on the August 10th sailing, inside cabins are going for $999 per person. And since it's almost always the least expensive category that is given as the free cabin, we're going to use it for demonstration purposes here. So the cabin would have a retail value of $1998, now assuming we only make the minimum quota for groups and have only 16 passengers in the group that means every passenger would get a discount of about $124. So if you wanted the $999 per person inside cabin, booking with the group that price would drop to $875 per person.

I hope I made that easy to understand... Anyhow, in addition to the lower cost there are usually amenity points associated with a group. These vary, so we'll have to see this sailing date has any amenities points. If we do, then we can usually select things like onboard credit or wine or other gifts as incentives to book with the group.

From the Community website:

Group Leader Perks

All Cruise Critic groups must have a minimum of 8 cabins booked to be considered a group and receive all of the group perks. As group leader you will receive one free net cruise fare if at least 8 cabins are sold, and two free net cruise fares if at least 16 cabins are sold. Group leaders will need to pay for their cruise upfront, but will be rebated the equivalent rate per berth for the category which has the largest number of cabins booked. Group leader is responsible for all port charges, taxes and fees. In addition, all group leaders will receive the group amenities and an additional perk program created specifically for our group leaders. Please note that the contract for these group cruises is between Cruise Critic and the Preferred Cruise Agency. Final decisions regarding group cruise amenities, perks etc. are the responsibility of Cruise Critic.

I thought I read somewhere that group leaders don't get reimbursed until several weeks after the cruise is over. If that's true, then everyone would get a check from the group leader after the cruise is over for the reimbursement. Correct or did I misunderstand the process?

PTC

From the Community website:

I thought I read somewhere that group leaders don't get reimbursed until several weeks after the cruise is over. If that's true, then everyone would get a check from the group leader after the cruise is over for the reimbursement. Correct or did I misunderstand the process?

PTC

PTC,

I am not sure, this will be my first time heading up a CC cruise, however, should that be the case, I would make sure the TA reimburse each person, I certainly don't need or want a responsibility like that... If that is how it is done, then I will give up heading the group here and now.

PTC,

I am not sure, this will be my first time heading up a CC cruise, however, should that be the case, I would make sure the TA reimburse each person, I certainly don't need or want a responsibility like that... If that is how it is done, then I will give up heading the group here and now.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure but it was not something where you can reimburse everyone upfront.Check with the

Community Manager - LauraS (?). I'm sure she can provide the details.

PTC

Hey SanFran, let's not bail on this idea just because we need to iron out how the refund works. Get in touch with Laura and see how everything works and, we'll take it from there. We seem to have growing interest, so, let's keep the idea going and maybe one of the Board Hosts will step up to be group leader...

Nick

Nick,

If one of the board hosts is willing to take the lead, I'll gladly step aside as group leader. I more or less started the thread to see if anyone is interested, so, I guess the answer is yes! :D And, we might get more people if one of the hosts agrees to lead the group too.

I am interested in this group cruise as well. We were planning on doing a family cruise next summer, and we are flexible on the dates. We would 2 and maybe 3 cabins. I look forward to hearing the details and definitive date.

Archived