Injured on Pride of Aloha

joecleveland

Hi, I started a thread a few days ago concerning my daughter and mother-in-law who are currently on the Pride of Aloha. My MIL fell onboard breaking her arm and had to spend their Day in Honolulu at the hospital getting the arm reset. I had asked if they should expect any compensation from Norwegian and if anyone else had been through this. There were a lot of good responses but the thread has been deleted.

But an update for anyone who'd read it while it was still here. In addition to Norwegian not charging them anything for the doctor's visit and setting the arm onboard, they have received personal letters from the ship asking if they can assist them in any way due to the injury. They also received a bowl of chocolate covered strawberries from the ship and the Captian sought out my MIL personally to see how she was doing.

Other than that episode their cruise appears to be going along smoothly and my daughter, a first time cruiser, thinks she's gaining weight, so the food must be good because she's a picky eater.

...... they have received personal letters from the ship asking if they can assist them in any way due to the injury. They also received a bowl of chocolate covered strawberries from the ship and the Captian sought out my MIL personally to see how she was doing......

I'm very glad that your MIL got a little extra special attention from the ship and the captain. I hope she mends well and I hope your daughter brought elastic waist pants for the ride back home <g> Mine are always a tad Snug when I get back..can't figure out why though!! :D

Sounds like they got compensation to me. The strawberries were a nice surprise for her. The excursion they had booked for they day in Hololulu was cancelled with no charge to them. The doctor visit was paid for.

I guess it is all in one's definition of compensation.

I took Joe Cleveland's original question as do you think they will do anything

special for her.

sounds like it is working out but no compensation---as we all said.

Well, not quite everyone said there'd be no compensation, The person who responded who works in the public service industry said that it's a good marketing practice to offer some comp even if it isn't the company's fault. I had said it would be nice if they got a drink or something, so it looks like they got the something. I've been on three Norwegian cruises and never received a free basket of chocolate strawberries delivered to my room. Is it worth the price of breaking an arm, no, but it just might take some of the sting away.

NJBear and Sweetpea-2, thanks for the well wishes for my MIL

I hope your daughter brought elastic waist pants for the ride back home <g> Mine are always a tad Snug when I get back..can't figure out why though!! :D

I think the first few cruises we all do that, after ten, you just don't eat as much even though you can if you want. At least that's the way it's been for me, anyways:)

Another update, yesterday they had a meat, cheese and cracker tray delivered to their room along with flowers, and tonight they received free reservations at the Italian restaurant. More Comps:p They also got VIP debarkation tags allowing them to leave anytime before 10 they want to as opposed to waiting for their color. I wonder if the Captain signed my MIL's cast:) I hope my wife doesn't get any ideas that this is the way to get flowers delivered! We've got a cruise coming up in a few weeks.

Another update, yesterday they had a meat, cheese and cracker tray delivered to their room along with flowers, and tonight they received free reservations at the Italian restaurant. More Comps:p They also got VIP debarkation tags allowing them to leave anytime before 10 they want to as opposed to waiting for their color. I wonder if the Captain signed my MIL's cast:) I hope my wife doesn't get any ideas that this is the way to get flowers delivered! We've got a cruise coming up in a few weeks.

Those little nicities really do help, don't they? this is similar to what we get when we are surprised with Concierge service. It has happened twice, neither time were we expecting it. Yes, she will be spoiled and want it all the time. When we don't get it anymore I am disappointed. NMNita

I broke my arm on an RC shiip and got a bill among other things..the very first day and nothing was free... What has happened is that NCL is covering their butt.. what did she break it on?" There has to be more than that to the story..I hadn't read it.. but if you would like to contact me I'd be glad to tell you what to do.. and tell you my story.. parrotmom@comcast.net When I came home there was the possibility I was going to loose 30% use of my left hand!!! Because I have wonderful orthopedics at home and I did what I had to do which wasn't in their list of things..my wrist is in better shape.. Her hand had to have been broken seriously.. and who is paying for the hospital and the M.D.s... did they have travel insurance...please write Oh yes... I sued Royal Caribbean and WON..IT's not that easy and a regular lawyer won't do...

actually the original post(now removed) did mention something about it being set aboard and then having to be set again at a shoreside hospital. I don't know but it is nice of them to do this. Makes everyone feel better

Hello Parrot Mom :)

Hi... I must know you..lol... First.. the M.D.s aboard the ship are NOT orthopedics but internists..why was it set TWICE and the second time at the hospital.. When I broke my wrist on the BOS I asked the M.D. what he knew about orthopedics and his answer was "not much"..it was a serious fracture.. When the nurse took one x-ray she told me there was no fracture...I asked her to take aother view...lol. it was badly broken.. a Colles Fracture..Fortunately,I had worked in a hospital and for whatever reason the phone # of my orthopedic was in my head..and I called him trans-atlantic (5:30 a..m. on the east coast)..to have him talk to the M.D. My orthopedic assured me that the two M.D.s on board knew what to do..and I should see him the day I came home... that was a Monday.. Thursday of tha week I was in the hospital having my wrist immobilized with four screws and an external rod..and the possible loss of 30% of my hand...left hand.. I should mention that before they would operate I had to talk to a Safety Officer.. Smartly, we took pictures of the area I slipped on... with the water pouring over the steps.. Later on we heard that area and the glass stairs i the atrium were quite dangerous.. But I never had the courtesy of the M.D. or nurses calling...just a bill.. for the surgery and codeine... At least NCL did one thing right

Hi

It is my mom that broke her arm. I am only hearing small reports via cell phone from my daughter who was traveling with my mother.

From what we know it was 2 steps located in the atrium. I haven't been on POA so don't know exactly what the steps looked like .....handrails etc. I have been told that x rays were taken on the ship and it was set temporaily and she was given a sling. She was advised to see an orthepedic doc in Honolulu and it was reset. That it was an arm bone near her wrist.

It happened their first day of the cruise and the ship was in dock.

I assume that my mother blames herself not Norwegian. She is almost 80.

When my husband originally posted this thread he really wanted info on what charges for seeing the doc etc were.

We had also heard that many lines charge for excursions even if you cannot go do to sickness etc.

I am impressed by Norwegian's treatment of my mother. She has both health insurance and traveler's insurance so hopefully most of the Honolulu hospital bill will be covered.

Norwegian's special treatment of her such as the flowers, strawberries etc helped to make a trip that could have been completely spoiled due to an accident a little nicer for an old woman.

Hope this info will help you....obviously my mom's break was not as severe as yours.

Archived