Belize Port being canceled for security reasons?

Starrluna

Hmm, we are on the 12/04 Enchantment cruise (same as A~) & have already booked 2 Belize excursions--an early morning carriage ride & afternoon snorkel trip--bothtwithe the cruise line. The port of Belize was something different. We plan on just going to do a brunch in Key West (been there done that port) & will consider not even getting off the ship on our Cozummel Day--too many ships scheduled to be in port that day. If Belize is unsafe I would not want to go but hope for not just a sea day in it's place. We will have to monitor the situation--way too late to change plans--have already ordered our MBNA awards certif to aply toward the final payment. Hope this thread stays alive or more info is posted on Royal thread....

I would think it would be cheaper to go to Belize about 200 miles from Coz than to go into the Bahamas. I'm not sure how far it will be out of the way to go to Coco Cay, but I would think the fuel cost would be about the same. On 2nd thought do they anchor in Belize or do the drift and use fuel to keep from drifting to far? If they are not able to anchor due to the reef that maybe the reason. They anchor in Coco Cay. I guess we will never know for sure.

RCCL has an out island - beach - on the western Caribbean side. It should be on the way. Can't remember where it was -think Jamica - and we tendered. Nice looking but I stayed on the boat. Not a beach person(too many sunburns when young):o . Loved the view, tho.

I just got back from the Carnival Miracle cruise yesterday and Belize was our third stop. We were told not to leave the port area because of the high crime but some people in my group did. It took some effort to get out of the port area including sneaking by some guards but once we were out in Belize City there wasn't much to see/do. It is a very poor area and barbed wire seemed to be everywhere. We went back into the port area after about 30 minutes of wandering. We ended up signing up for a zip lining tour and took a 2 hour bus ride to the forests. I enjoyed seeing everything from the bus rather than walking around. The port area was just shops and bars but compared to the other ports it was pretty low end. I didn't hear anything about the port being closed though.

I just got off the Carnival Glory Saturday, and we didn't hear anything about not leaving the tourist village or about any elevated dangers, but I did notice an abundance of security guards posted around the tourist area...far more than we saw two years ago. We didn't have any trouble at all leaving the tourist area though - twice - but always came back because we didn't feel comfortable or safe.

I just spoke to customer service at RCI about this. (Don't laugh) :)

My Enchantment cruise is still showing as being scheduled as the last cruise with a stop in Belize. I wondered why if it is considered not save later in August - sort of advance planning as I see it - then why is it still considered safe for the next 2 sailings of Enchantment.

The RCI rep. told me that actually the next two sailings are not decided one way or the other at this point. Not even the one that leaves on the 31st of this month. She said that will be a call the captain will make possibly even up until the time or or during the cruise. If he decides it's unsafe, he will not stop. The decision about where to go as far as ports or seadays will be made at that time. Yes, the RCI still shows a scheduled Belize stop on 7/31 and 8/14 but that is not confirmed at this time. There is no port confirmation - it's a wait and see.

I told her my vote was for CocoCay. I've never been to Belize but am not interested in the long tendering or the long drive to do something. I'd rather get off in CocoCay and walk the nature trail or hang out in a hammock in the shade. Although I do like snorkeling out by the plane wreck before the crowds arrive.

Hmm, my NCL Pearl cruise for Mar 07 still shows Belize as a port. I wonder if all the cruiselines will begin dropping this port. Hope not, I really enjoyed my cave tubing 2 years ago and this time I was hoping to get in some good snorkeling. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for all the info being posted here. It helps to stay informed. Guess I'll wait a little longer before booking my (independent) tour.

Archived