Unexpected Upgrade??

We have never been upgraded either. However, we book well in advance, almost as soon as the schedule is posted, get the aft cabin we really want and request no upgrade except for the Royal Suite. Have booked the Baltic on the Jewel for 8/05, which Sarah has also booked. And just today booked the Brilliance for February 2006.

We have been fortunate to have been upgraded twice in five cruises.

The first was on the Radiance from an outside (don't remember the category) to an E with a balcony. The first we knew about the upgrade was when we checked in at the port. This cruise was booked about two months in advance. Smart move, because now we book balconies!

The second upgrade was on Celebrity's Galaxy 10-night and we were upgraded from a category 1 (now CC) to the Royal Suite – my, was that spectacular! Our TA notified us about 60 days in advance (when the Royal Suites were all released before final payments were due). We had booked this cruise a year in advance.

Our theory is that an upgrade might have something to do with how much you have paid for the cruise. There are four of us, so right there we are paying more for the cabin than if it was occupied by only two passengers. We had gotten fair prices for these cruises, but not great prices, so I am sure we paid quite a bit more than most for the equivalent category.

Does anyone know what criteria the cruise lines use? It is most likely a highly guarded secret

I have learned from advice on these boards to book a cabin you will be happy with and that is what we have done. The upgrade fairy is just a bonus!!!!

My family was upgraded from a balcony cabin to the Royal Family Suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room and huge balcony for $200 at pier. However, this was 2.5 weeks after 9/11. The ship was very empty. What a great suite it was! I have not had that happen since then and have cruised several times.

We were upgraded from a mini-suite to an AD Penthouse Suite on the NCL Sun this past April, our first cruise with NCL. Very cool! The couple in the suite next to us were also upgraded from a mini-suite. We thought it was because we had booked about a year in advance, but who knows. We booked through a TA.

We were upgraded from a Cat B to the Owners Suite on the Brilliance. The funny thing was we did not find this out untill we boarded the ship. We went to our room and the key would not fit. Went to the Pursers desk to ask and was then told we were upgraded. :)

Have you tried using http://www.yourowncabin.com to book your solo cruise? I've used them and you can get balcony cabins without a single supplement.

LW

October 24 on Explorer will be my 5th cruise with RCCL and I have been upgraded every time. I am not sure if it's my TA who influences this or the fact that I book the trip over 12 mos. in advance. Not sure. Never had a suite.However now that I will be traveling solo, I'm sure the upgrades will stop. Cruise lines don't seem to take too kindly to single travelers. I pay the 200% rate and tip appropriately but not double.

On October 30th,2004 this will be my 11th cruise with Royal Caribbean on the Serenade of The Seas out of San Juan.Most likely I will be in an Outside Balcony Stateroom on Deck Eight which I paid for and want.I'm happy no matter where I am on the ship as long as I have a place to shower,change,and sleep.I try not to spend much time in the room anyway.I enjoy being outside of the room taking in the sights with my wife and son.As for upgrades I've never had one on my ten previous cruises with RCI.On my three Carnival cruises I've been upgraded all three times and the second cruise on the Paradise in October 2001 to the Western Caribbean we were upgraded from an Empress Deck outside cabin to a Suite on the Upper Deck.Even though I love RCI I sometimes get the feeling that Carnival always tries a little harder to keep it's customers happy and satisfied.No matter what,I feel that cruising by far is the best way to vacation and I have been cruising since 1983.

We have only been upgraded 1 time & we turned it down. Last year on the Carnival Glory we had booked a corner aft, with the wrap around balcony. We received our documents about 3 weeks before sailing but were missing some forms. I called and asked if they could send us the forms and about a week later we got another thick document package in the mail. I thought it was kinda strange they would re-send the whole package & started looking at it more carefully. We had been upgraded to a Cat. 11 suite. I was so upset, the corner aft was a surprise for my husband and he couldn't understand why I wasn't happy about getting a Suite. I finally had to tell him & then we emailed our TA to try to get our cabin back. Took a couple emails but we did finally get our original cabin. Probably be the last time we ever get upgraded, just our luck.

Does it have anything to do with how you pay? Maybe it's people who use RC Visa Card? What do you think?

As it turns out I happen to know a family that is scheduled to go on the same cruise as we are but unexpectedly one of them has found out they have cancer and will be operated on a week before. They had a familiy suite. Their daughter is my daughters best friend and we'd like to be able to take her with us.

I wonder if I should ask if it's possible to upgrade to their room so we would could bring her along. We are in a EI balcony. They booked through AAA and with their insurance policy they can get 100 % back at the last minute. As of today they are still holding out in case they can figure something out but it looks like their going to have to cancel. We leave in first week of August.

I booked with a travel agent and purchased RC cruise care but if we made a change by taking that room to fit her we'd probably be penalized where they won't even if they cancel day before.

I don't think there's anything we can do to help her this late in the game. :(

We are Diamond Members (19 cruises all over 10 days in length) and we have never been upgraded whether we booked inside or balcony, 3 months before or 14 months before. RCI has never acknowledged our loyalty with a surprise upgrade. Yet we bump into first time customers, etc. who are upgraded to suites. We have been told that RCI farms out the upgrade proceedure. Well, I think it is about time that RCI take control and give these upgrades to deserving cruisers and not just luck of the draw.

Well said Mks, ---- It now got to the stage that( and only talking about RCL )we are thinking about changing cruise lines .Not just because of this upgrade thing but you would think RCL would take care of their loyal customers.

We thought it was great when we reached Diamond Members of C&A and you got the bathrobes in your cabin,then discovered IF we had been bold enough to ask our cabin steward for them ,we would have got then anyway .

• 1 month later...

Hi re upgrades, on the last Celebrity cruise that were on it seemed as if the people who were upgraded, were the customers who were travelling with celebrity for the first time, they seemed to take for granted their regular cruisers.

We have travelled with Celebrity & RCI and have never been upgraded.

Archived