Trip Report- Summit NB & Land Trip

mason525

Hi all- Just back from a truly wonderful trip. Wanted to thank all who offered helpful advise & inspiration via photos. Here's some details of our trip.

6/28- Landed in Vancouver from Chicago. Other family members arrive over the next few days. Stayed at the Hyatt Regency using Hyatt points for free rooms.The city is gorgeous & the weather glorious. Explored a bit by foot & to sleep after a long travel day.

6/29- Brilliant sunshine all day. Booked Gray Lines hop on/hop off tour. Got off in Stanley Park & spent most of the rest of the day there. There are so many nooks & crannies with towering trees & wildflowers that were unlike any I had ever seen. Went to dinner in Chinatown-a great dining experience but most shops are closed at night so it was pretty deserted to walk around. Met up with new arrivals for a drink at Bacchus. They were nice enough give us a private room because our teens are not allowed in the bar area. Charming space & service.

6/30-Another perfect day weather wise. Finished the ho/ho tour- great way to see all of the city-then went back in pm to areas we wanted to spend more time in. With almost all of our group of 24 arrived, we split up for dinner, but everybody liked their option. Closed the hotel bar.

7/1- Planned to use our rented SUV to shuttle everybody to the ship, but with Canada Day traffic jams, wound up bringing luggage only & people took cabs. Too bad Summit doesn't dock at Canada Place. Smooth as silk getting on board. It's warm & sunny & the gang gets together on our PH suite suite for sail away. The suite is PERFECT. I am relieved that all are pleased w/their cabins & the ship. At dinner we find that just as requested we are seated at three tables for 8 right next to each other 500, 502, 506. They are next to the aft windows & over look the Captain's Table. There are Canada Day fireworks just at the end of our meal. A great 1st night dinner!

7/2- Day at sea viewing inside passage. Another day warm & clear enough to sit by the pool! Scenery goes by in an endless procession of snow-capped mountains, green forests, remote cabins. So relaxing catching up w/family while watching such beauty. My brother got married in New Zealand last November & none of us were able to be there. We had a celebration & Dave & Kate's marriage that night before dinner(1st formal night) that was lovely.

It was nice to see the 8 "cousins"- aged 20-14yo. all dressed up.

All right I'm fading so I'll quit for the night but reliving each of our days is very wonderful. Meg

Part 2

7/3-Juneau- Docked right on time & group split up for various excursions. My 20yo son & I booked the Extended Glacier trek with the ship. This was an experience unlike any I've had- very exciting & challenging. Our day was freakily warm & brilliant sun.There were 2 copters full(11 people) in the group & 2 guides. I was the oldest( by 15yrs) & least fit of the group.The helicopter ride is short, maybe 20 minutes. The views were amazing & cool how close we came to mountaintops. After gearing up we started out practicing using our crampons & ice ax. The guides picked out a route explaining that the glacier changes every day. For me the most difficult thing was when we had to dig our feet into one side of an ice wall & slide our backs along the opposite wall with icy water running below us. The rest of the group climbed an ice wall 50-60ft(?) on ropes & rappelled down another 30ft wall to an ice cave. I walked around to the end of cave where they all exited & got to experince maybe 10ft of the 100ft or more. Even 10 feet in freaked me out because it all twists & turns & you can't see the way out. As soon as the sun went behind the mountain it became much colder but there were still gusts of warm air- just like sudden warm current in the ocean.

Others in our group did Pilot's Choice with Glacier Landing & loved it. My husband & youngest son did the Whale Watch Orca Lodge trip & liked it. A few others visited the Gardens on their own & their pics were lovely.

Half of our group had dinner at Normandy this night & found that despite our Captain's Club resevations confirmed in print via email- the Normandy had no notice of our res for either of our nights. Thankfully they were able to accomodate them but be aware that despite whatever you may think you probably need to just make them on board.

Since it was the eve of 7/4, that is the night that Juneau has it's fireworks display & the Town was packed w/tailgate picnicers celebrating. The ship sailed before the official fireworks began but there were tons of bonfires & amateur displays we enjoyed as we sailed away. What a day!

7/4- Arrived & were cleared in Skagway a little ahead of schedule. Six of us rented 2 cars & followed Murray's guide out of town. Great Scenery! Didn't go all the way so we were back in town for some of the Fourth's celebration- loved the arm wrestling contests. Other is the group enjoyed the parade & town for the whole day. The rest did the train. Although it looked threatening for a while the rain didn't find us & was brief in town.

I've run out steam again. I've been surprised how tough re-entry is to CDT. Meg

7/5- Sitka-We had a partly cloudy morning to tour the town. A group of us did the afternoon Wildlife quest & Sea Otter tour thru the ship. It turned sunny by this time & although the boat was large & somewhat crowded, I was really impressed bt the enthusiasm & expertise of our guides. Plenty of sightings of otters, sea lions, eagles & a final spectacular close-up whale. Even the young workers on board seemed to really care if you were looking in the right place & help answer questions in a friendly way. I did find myself dozing off( to the gentle rocking) whenever I was sitting so I mostly stayed standing on deck-brisk-maybe could have used one more layer.

Back on ship, it was our night in the Normandy. I was totally pleased by the evening. Our table of 6 were all women, & our service was lovely but not patronizing.

7/6 Icy Strait Point- I loved this day! The scenery is just beautiful. There were whales surfacing in the harbor. The people were so nice & genuine. Our ship was the only one there so there were less crowds. Did the Remote bear search. The short walk was thru a beautiful, varied terrain. We was a few bears, but one put on quite a show by feeding acrosss the river from us then crossing the river to our side just in front on us. My brother's video is awesome.

On ship it was the 2nd formal night & our group got some beautiful pix by the photographer as well as my family's Xmas card pic. I was very pleased with the results. It was 80's night at the Bar at the Edge. We pretty much had the place to ourselves from 10:30-12:30, then headed down to see the end of the midnight buffet. We couldn't eat but it still was amazing to see!

7/7 Up early for Hubbard Glacier. It was cold & rainy when we got up but it lifted for some great viewing. Awesome.

A relaxing day to pack & do everything you may have missed up to then. Went to the final Bingo set, My bil won the 1st game & my aunt would have won the final game($1800 jackpot) if they had called 74 instead of 47! What fun.

7/8- The gang splits up! Many in our group had train & bus connections & were off the ship very early. We had a group of 8 spending more time on land so we were in no hurry to get off right away. Sadly, I had my last waffles for a while. We used my husband's limo transfer to get to Hertz & we rented to Tauruses & came back for everyone. Packing up the cars to the max ( where did all this extra stuff come from?), we're off to Talkeetna. It's about a 5-6 hr drive but we stopped for pix, lunch, bathroom breaks. Arrived at the beautiful Talkeetna Alaska Lodge & were able to check right in. Headed out to town where the Moose Drop Festival was in full swing. At 6pm the actual Moose Drop occurred. For Charity, you may purchase a numbered " moose dropping" which a plane scatttered from above the droppings which come closest to targets on the ground win a cash prize. Very fun. Ate dinner back at the Lodge which was really good food with a view of Denali that was breathtaking! Some of us went back to town for some nightlife but I went to bed. Another Great Day.

Meg

7/9- I'm up at 7am & Denali is TOTALLY CLEAR! I've to Denali for 4 days once before but I've never seen it like this. Photographers are out in droves. What an amazing sight. I book a Summit Flight w/ K2 for our group for 10:30am. I have permission to wake the group at 9, but most straggle into the lobby before then & are excited by the view & our planned flight. The experience beats our expectations. I was a little leary of having to use oxygen but it was easy.Our pilot was excellent. We chose this flight option because it circled the summit twice with stunning views. It was the end of the climbing season & we saw teams breaking down the base camp. We were so close you could see the trails. WOW. I think that this was the most memorable part of our whole trip.

Went into Talkeetna for lunch. The Festival was still going strong & we were lucky to get an outside table at the Roadhouse. We just missed Breakfast(they stop serving it at 1pm) but our lunch was great. Had a BLT on their wonderful bread. After lunch, we split up (some lucky ones got to go to the laundramat) & I went walking on paths at hotel then a nap just so I know I'm on vacation. When I woke up the Mountain had totally disappeared & it was dizzling. Glad we had gotten our flight in. We had hoped to go for Moonlight Pizza(not sure if I have that name right) but it was packed. Instead we went to the Willow Cafe which has an eclectic menu but everything was really good. Lovely service too. I expected to gain a little weight on the ship but we found the food on land even more tempting.

7/10- Now the festival was over & Talkeetna a little quieter. Went for a Roadhouse breakfast. Outstanding. Went to the Ranger's at end of town & he suggested a hike over the river then along the train tracks. Pleasant. Went out for a hour & a half then back. People who live out that way get back & forth with ATV's & a number of them passed us. Pretty Remote. Had dinner back at the Lodge- a farewell one for my Brother & sil who were heading back to New Zealand the next day. It was sunny again but Denali never reapppeared during the time we were there. You would never even know there was a mountain there.

Meg

In your interesting trip description, you wrote "Too bad Summit doesn't dock at Canada Place." If it doesn't dock at Canada Place, where does it dock?

Ballyntine Pier, which is a few minutes' drive east of Canada Place pier.

Hi I read your post about the extended glacier trek and have a question or two - as hubby and I are considering one.

Did you take the 1 hour trek or 2 hour trek? The wall does sound somewhat intimidating to me. Hubby and I are both in our 50s and are fairly active and regular exercisers - still not sure I'm up for a wall. Did you enjoy your trek? (couldn't quite determine that my your post.

I'm jealous of your flight around Mckinnley. We tried many years ago, but weather cancelled ours. We were fortunate enough to be able to see the mountain in it's full glory several afternoons. But I'm still jealous - maybe one day.

Thanks for your help,

Brtraveler

brtraveller- My excursion was over 4hrs on the glacier. It was an amazing, beautiful place to be(my son just sent me pix) but if it was just me doing it over, the 2 hrs would probably be more than enough time for me. The guides were very patient & flexible so I didn't have to do the things that were of out my comfort zone but I did feel sorta lame. Have a great time. Meg

7/11- Left for the Anchorage Airport & dropped off Kate & Dave. Went to check in for 1 night at Captain Cook but were too early. Instead we had lunch on the deck on the Snow Goose. Spent the pm just walking around town. My sil walked the waterfront trail. Had a delicious dinner at the Crow's Nest (on the 20th floor of the Hotel) with a beautiful view of the City on another clear evening. The kids took in a movie.

7/12- Checked out late am & drove to the Kenai Princess in Cooper Landing. My brother liked this spot the best. It is nestled in the snow capped mountains w/ that gorgeous, turquoise river & lake right below. A very peaceful spot.Went for long walk along the river & checked out options.

7/13-Decided that the "boys" would go kayaking & we went for a hike to the Russian River Falls. Our 3 young men(20,17, & 15) were the only ones with the guide & they liked the kayaking a lot. Liked getting to talk to a guy who lives on the Kenai year-round & clearly loves all it offers.

Our hike was suggested to us by the tour info guy(supernice) & it was perfect. The trail is fairly flat & well marked and pretty much follows the river.

When we got to the falls, there were salmon & if you watched carefully you could see them jumping upstream.Amazing! The guide said that the day before a mama bear was fishing & bringing food up into the woods for babies that were not seen. We missed the bear but it was cool just seeing the salmon. Another early night & packing.

7/14- Our last day. We stopped at the Alyeska Resort near Girdwood. We split up again- the kids rode bikes & we took the Gondola to the top. There were views in all directions & 7 glaciers are in sight. We picked up reading materials at the Anchorage Barnes & Noble then went to the airport. It was a great trip! Good luck to all who are heading north soon- there's so much to see & enjoy.

Meg

Archived