C'mon NCL, you can do better

DocJohnB

I posted this over on the Celebrity board, but am posting here just to see what NCL cruisers think.

Anybody else notice that the new build for NCL will be the Norwegian Jewel - this just after RCI's Jewel of the Sea.

That comes on the heel of the Norwegian Spirit - right after Carnival's Spirit.

I realize these names are not copyright protected, but does NCL have no original thinkers. :confused:

Makes me wonder when Celebrity launches their next new build if NCL will name their next one the same.

This is not meant to be a mean spirited thread. NCL is known for its' free thinking foresight (free style dining, ship's design, etc.). One would think they could come up with names for their ships that do not copy other lines. :o

Just my nickle's worth!!!!!

They could have done better ;)

After the Norway NCL ships were all "wards" - Leaward, Sunward, Seaward, Windward

They moved for the most part to nature - Sea, Wind, Sky, Sun, Star, Dawn with a few odd names Majesty, Dream.

NCLA - that looks like the Pride of

Are we now going into the Stone age - NCL Jewel. I guess the next ship will be the Diamond.

Guest alexMD

For example, how would it sound if we called their next ship "The Norwegian Fjukr"? Fjukr, at least in Norwegian, is a beautifully poetic word meaning a light snowfall. Slightly less snow than a snøflukse, and a bit more than a few fnugg.

Now, most of us know that those Nordic languages pronounce their J's like Y's. Reading a word like "fjukr" in English, therefore, might sound quite naughty.

So it's no surprise that Norwegian needs to borrow some names.

I could care less what they call the ship and if it's similar to another line. What about the Majesty and RCLs Majesty of the Sea? We could go on and on with this. Remember, until about 6 or 8 years ago there were only a handful of ships in the water. Well, more than that, but the industry has grown like crazy and there are just so many names to choose from. Let's find something else to debate.

NMNita

I am still pushing for the Norwegian Lutefisk and the Norwegian Lefse. Maybe Norwegian Rosette (that's a pretty name and a darn good cookie) Maybe Norwegian Krumkakke.

Let's get original, folks! You won't see a Lutefisk Princess out there...

I agree Doc, where's all the creativity? It's not just NCL, there's a Radisson Navigator, an RCCL Navigator, and god knows how many princesses!

Maybe they should hold contests open to the public for naming new ships, winner gets a free cruise?

Weeburn,

Exactly my point. I know NCL is not the only line "guilty".

NMNita said. "there are just so many names to choose from". I would respectfully disagree, the possibilities are endless.

I think contests naming a new ship is a super idea. Get some input from your "users". Show them they mean something. And winning a cruise would be great for all concerned. :cool:

I agree Doc, where's all the creativity? It's not just NCL, there's a Radisson Navigator, an RCCL Navigator, and god knows how many princesses!

Maybe they should hold contests open to the public for naming new ships, winner gets a free cruise?

What a total "non-issue." Let's get back to hassling people about the way they dress. Those strings are much more fun.

Am am sure the NCL customer service was responsible for this name being released. We will find out later that Jewel is not the real name. Now is that more in line with what we a used to reading :D

If we were to go on the past 12 months of NCL performance we could name the ships the NCL Murphy's Law or perhaps the NCL SnakeBit.....I am a huge NCl fan, but 5 nights with the american crew hurt a bunch for me. I am sure it will be great, but wow what a year.....

shoreguy,

I'll tell you one thing, I won't believe that's really the name until I get it in writing.

I would like to suggest a name in the new ship contest;

How about 'Norwegian Pinocchio'. Every time NCL guest relations tells a lie it stretches:D Queen Mary 2 look out!

I am still pushing for the Norwegian Lutefisk and the Norwegian Lefse. Maybe Norwegian Rosette (that's a pretty name and a darn good cookie) Maybe Norwegian Krumkakke.

Let's get original, folks! You won't see a Lutefisk Princess out there...

LOL:D :D

I find many of the names preferable to Norwegian Wind, which sounds like a flatulence problem.

And then of course, there is Crystal Serenity, which sounds like a product for incontinence, perhaps using June Allyson as their spokewoman after being lured away from Depends.

Never thought much of the name of one Princess ship, Fair Princess, either.

As my father used to say you can call me anything as long as you don't call me late for dinner. I just don't sea(I meant this to be sea not see) a big deal in what the ships name is, as long as it has one. They can call the shp a number and I would still take it if the iternary and the price was right.

Archived