What is the most luxurious river cruise line?

Blue Bryce

Hi Venturagirl,

As I explained to Steamboats, my husband functions very well. I'll have to find out more about the steep steps into the towns. Still alot of homework to do.:) Keeps me out of trouble-like the kids!!

Sometimes, you just have to go and see. On our South America cruise, we just got off the ship and hoped for the best. It was great fun to see everything and be in a different environment. If he couldn't go into a certain building, I went and told him about it. He can get on and off rolling and pitching tenders in port with a little help from the crew-now that's doing something!!!

Thanks for telling me about the steep hills and sharing your knowledge!

Judy

Hello Judy,

I am sorry that I could not reply any sooner. I am working on a river cruise ship as Cruise Director, therefor I can say that I have at least some experience.

I believe you mentioned your husband is able to move around somewhat without a wheelchair. If that is the case there is no problem. If he is truely wheelchair bound, a rivercruise will be very frustrating for him. This has nothing to do with an elevator or not. Elevators will not take him off the ship, nor will they sove the problem to get him off the ship through one (sometimes two) other ships. Neither will they help him to get (on most elevator equiped ships) to the sundeck.

Most of the medieval European towns will have difficult streets to move on by wheelchair. I have one couple on my present cruise where the wife is using a wheel chair for longer distances. It is frustrating to see the husband struggling to get his wife over cobblestone streets, where she has more chance to get seasick than on open sea.

Be very weel aware what you choose for befor you book. You will see that on most ships the crew will be more than happy to be of assistance, but can only help you so far.

Whatever choice you make, I hope you and your husband are going to have a wonderful vacation.

Heintje

Hello Heintje,

Thank you for your thoughts. I am concerned with the steep steps that posters are between the boat and the town (climbing the riverbank I assume). If there are no railings on these steps, it would be difficult for my husband to get into the towns. How bad are these steps?

My husband is very mobile, just slow. He walks all over our yard, up and down hills in the grass. He tires easily and his foot starts to hurt and this is the reason for the scooter and wheelchair. He is not wheelchair bound at all. He can get onto buses and the tenders of ships after climbing down the steep steps to the platform. He just needs railings for support.

He would do fine inside the riverboat. I can understand the concerns about the cobblestone streets. I suppose that we will learn more about this after our Baltic cruise.

It's wonderful to talk to a cruise director.

Thanks alot,

Judy

Dear Steamboats, you've been so helpful to many in the past, so I'm hoping you can help us! We are going on the Mozart Sept. 3, disembarking on the 10th, a Sunday. None of the car rental places will be open. Do you think we will be able to get a taxi from the pier to the Passau RR Station???? I would have assumed so, but it being a Sunday, I just don't know!!! We're old!!! We can't walk the 10 minutes or so to the station.

Thank you --- patmmcg@aol.com

Why are you not thinking about river cruises in the United States?

We have cruised four times with the "old" Delta Queen Steamboat Company which was recently purchased by Majetic American Line.

Would highly recommend the Delta Queen Steamboat, Missippi Queen Steamboat and the American Queen Steamboat. We have sailed on all of them. If we were pushed for a preference we would probably choose the older Delta Queen Steamboat.

On the initial webpage for this site there is a que for "Boards". Under that go and click on Majestic American Line and you will see numerous threads on their cruises by fellow travelers. Also check on the River Cruises Board and review the comments there.

Do a search for the above three vessels, the old or new company name.

Do another search by "Steamboats" who replied to your thread earlier as "Steamboats" has written some excellent reviews and provided excellent insight and information on US river cruises. You may note that they have traveled a "time or two" on the steamboats of the old Delta Queen Steamboat Company.

Now having said that our next river cruise will probably be in either China or Europe.

Steamboatin,

Thank you, and sure you have to go to Europe and cruise our rivers there!!

Patmmcg,

Deilmann is providing a free shuttle to the train station for two trains (as far as I remember it´s the two ICE trains going from Vienna to Hamburg). Anyway you won´t find a rental car station just for going to the train station. You won´t have any problems getting a taxi. The reception desk will call it for you if you can´t go on the shuttle bus.

steamboats

Really a European river cruise will be done. Question is when as in the 2008 to 2010 range of time.

The European river cruise that I am most looking forward to as my first river cruise over your way is the 25 +/- days cruise from Amsterdam on the North Sea all the way to the Black Sea via the Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers.

By the way Stamboats, we received a mailing yesterday on the 2007 cruise schedule of the American Queen. Home port in Spring and Winter of 2007 will be New Orleans. Mailing was limited to only the American Queen's sailings.

Steamboatin´,

The MQ and DQ are returning to NOLA at the end of the Thanksgiving cruise this year. They added some cruises to the AQ´s schedule especially in December (there´s a Christmas and a New Years Cruise). Spring cruises have changed too, no more 6, 3 or 4 nighters, all 7 nights. I have to change our rivers-rails.com site regarding this. Robin St Wharf is cleaned up and the operational part is moving to St. Louis. No real "home port" in NOLA anymore!! The AQ is currently in the St. Louis area.

steamboats

Why are you not thinking about river cruises in the United States?

I'm not sure who you are asking this question of but can tell you why we aren't. We had looked into the mentioned cruises and found them very expensive especially to visit places we have been to. For us the ports of call are even more important than the time spent on the water. We'd rather spend our dollars on new sights for the time being.

Steamboatin,

When you make your plans for the wonderful 3 week trip, consider going from the Black Sea to Amsterdam. The countries of Bulgaria and Romania are still quite depressed, and there you will be ending your trip on a down note. We did the itinerary this way in 2004, and it really was quite grand and wonderful. Pat

BJS,

Yes I can agree with your view. We have previously cruised 4 times with the old Delta Queen Steamboat Company and that is exactly why we are now looking at river cruises in China and Europe.

PACMOM,

Thanks for your insight and the value of your experience. Now that I am thinking about what you are saying it makes sense.

Thanks

Thank you so much for your answer! Actually, the rental car was to drive from Passau to Leubsdorf, but I think we're going to have to take the train to Koblenz or Cologne to meet our friends.

patmmcg

Archived