Sunset in Santorini

I was told recently that the view of the sunset in Santorini (in early June) would be better from the cruise ship than from Oia. Can anyone confirm this? We will be in Santorini from 8 AM to 11 PM early next June and wonder whether we should stay in Oia for the sunset, or head back to the ship for sunset and dinner. Any suggestions for other locations to view the sunset which are reachable by bus or foot from Oia or Fira?

Thanks,

Wanda.

We were in Santorini on the Millennium about 3 weeks ago and ended up being onboard for the sunset - it was beautiful. I can't compare it to seeing the sunset from Oia (we did spend a couple of hours in Oia earlier that day), but I'd think either place would be fine. The Millennium did offer a Greek "feast" on its sundeck, so it was nice to enjoy a bottle of wine, some very fine cuisine (although certainly not as exotic as we found in Oia), and the sunset from the sundeck.

Hope this helps.

KnoxvilleSam

I was told recently that the view of the sunset in Santorini (in early June) would be better from the cruise ship than from Oia. Can anyone confirm this? We will be in Santorini from 8 AM to 11 PM early next June and wonder whether we should stay in Oia for the sunset, or head back to the ship for sunset and dinner. Any suggestions for other locations to view the sunset which are reachable by bus or foot from Oia or Fira?

Thanks,

Wanda.

We saw the sunset after we left Santorini....however.....this is what I would consider:

Form Oia.....you are located at the north end of the island.......your view would be higher than the ship but it would be of the sunset out to sea.

From the ship.....you would be at water level and the sun would set behind the west side of the island

From Fira.....you would be high....and it would set in ocean behind the volcano and other islands.....which I think would be the more spectacular view......:)

• 2 months later...

Frederick,

Just follow the flow of tourists to the more northern part of the town. The only problem is that it can be pretty spectacular, but pretty busy. Make sure that you leave enough time to get back to the ship afterwards by whatever mode of travel you have used.

From Fira.....you would be high....and it would set in ocean behind the volcano and other islands.....which I think would be the more spectacular view......:)
Also, if you're in Fira (and closer to the ship, so no hassles about getting back), you also get the wonderful sight of all the lights coming on along the cliff as it gets dark. I got stuck in a cafe one evening at sunset, and took these:-

jtr01.jpgjtr02.jpg

Archived