Shorter African Cruises

Clay Clayton

Help! i am interested in cruising while on an African visit next year, however, all I can seem to find is a 34 day Princess cruise. While I wish I could use my vacation for that long, I can't. Does anyone know of any cruises that depart or end (or even better Roundtrip) in Capetown?

Thanks!

Clay

There is a small ship called Royal Star, owned by a Swiss hotel chain called African Safari Club, which normally sails out of Mombasa to the Seychelles, Zanzibar, the Comores etc.

It also does occasional sailings as far as Capetown and back.

It is only 5,600 tons, around 220 passengers, almost 50 years old, and rated at 3*+ by Berlitz, so one shouldn't expect modern ship comfort and facilities, but it is a charming old thing, and about the only one we have found which regularly cruises the Indian Ocean.

As the company started life as an hotel chain, it is normal to combine a week's cruise with a stay on the Kenyan coast, from where you can also take short safari extensions to such as Tsavo National Park.

Hope this helps.

Clay,

Another thought occurred. Have you looked at doing an Afircan leg of one of the round-the-world cruises? I don't know about the America-based lines, but the UK-based ones (Cunard, P&O, plus some smaller ones like Fd. Olsen) do offer this alternative - they usually go in Jan/Feb/Mar.

Richard

Clay, I too am interested in an African cruise with a pre/post Wildlife Safari tied in. So far I'm finding that both Silversea and Seabourn have African cruises. Silversea's shortest is 7 day but most are more like 11 days. I too appreciate any opinions on this...."just learning"

We would also be interested in an African cruise with a pre- post African Safari. You mentioned that Silversea and Seabourn have cruises which have a pre or post cruise African Safari. Sounds like a plan. Please keep us informed. Thanks

I live in South Africa and know that there is a ship from MSC cruises (the Rhapsody) which will be arriving here in November. It mainly cruises from Durban to Mozambique or Madagascar on 4 night cruises, but also does some coastal cruises from Durban to Cape Town. It is small (about 15000t)

Swan Hellenic is also doing some cruises on the Minerva from Cape Town to Seychelles in December.

If you need more info I will put you in touch with my TA who can do the booking for you. Just leave your email address on the board.

Enjoy your visit!

Acrusa, Congratulations on your March '05 cruise! We're looking at something later than that. We're actually booked on the '05 Radisson World Cruise so it would most likely be March '06.

Mercury, I'd love to hear more about any cruise ships that do come to South Africa. Please let us know as you hear more. As of now I think the '06 options for smaller ships will be Silversea, maybe Seabourn, maybe Radisson (if the '06 World Cruise segment goes to So. Africa as it has in the past).

I will be in Cape Town from noon one day and sailing at 6:00 pm the next day, is it possible to get to Kruger National Park in that amount of time? I'm from New Mexico, we have lots of coyotes but not very many tigers and giraffes. Many thanks for any information.

Sad to say - but to do Kruger will be almost out of the question. It is going to take you at least 5 hours to get to the closest gate of Kruger from Cape Town. This includes your getting to Cape Town Airport at least 1 hour before the flight/flight/s, collecting baggage at airport, renting a car, travelling to Kruger Gate from Mpumalanga Airport. Once you are in the gate - you have at least an hours drive (due to speed limit restraints) to the closest camp, where you'd have to stay overnight. You have to be in the camp by 6:00 pm and are only allowed to go game viewing after 6:00 am the following morning. (Unless you take an evening game drive, which is possible, but doesn't give you the ability to see all the animals, general only the nocturnal ones.) This 5 hour minimum is absolutely that - a minimum - this is if you were doing the "Amazing Race".

Unfortunately IMO you would need at least another day to see Kruger Park.

If you need any other info. I'd be glad to help.

P.S. There are NO tigers in Africa. Tigers come from the Asian Continent!!

Hi Zebra. Many thanks for the information on Kruger Park. Do you have any other recommendations for the short time the ship will be in Cape Town (to see the local fauna in their natural habitat)? I was going to name giraffes and lions in my post as not being in New Mexico, but we actually do have mountains lions. Rarely seen. Thanks again for your speedy post!

There is a Lion Park and also a Cheetah Park close to Cape Town. Which cruise line will you be on? They usually give you an excursion booklet before you leave with all your options.

I must tell you there is also so much to see and do in Cape Town and if driving on the left doesn't hassle you - I would difinitely suggest renting a car for the full day and driving down to Cape Point. Cape Town is very beautiful and is a Peninsula so it's surrounded on 3 sides by the sea. The drive around the Peninsula is gorgeous. You must see the Penguins at the Boulders (beach) - at Cape Point you'll also see many monkeys and baboons, there are also Springbok and few other species. On the side of Table Mountain, close to town there are Zebra and Bontebok and Hartbeest. Stop at a Bistro along the way and have a Seafood Platter - South African seafood is "to die for"!Also if you have a rental car you can do the wine route which is another must (the Cheetah Park is out that way as well.)

Yes Kruger Park is the most amazing vacation in Africa.

Seeing ALL the animals in their own habitat is so truly special. It gives one a truly African experience, being able to sit on the patio of your chalet in the evenings, drink in hand, meat on your b-b-q and listening to all the sounds of the bush. (Or you can have your meals in the camp restaurant). The lion roaring, the Hyena laughing, the Jackal calling - an African Safari is an experience like no other. The night comes alive!!!! To me it seems such a pity to visit South Africa and not be able to spend a few days in Kruger to experience this...but hey this is life, things don't always happen the way we wish they would!! After having a taste of South Africa, I would suggest a return trip to spend at least a week driving around Kruger Park on Safari - it will enrich you, enlighten you, relax you and leave you with a sense of awe!!

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts....

High Desert - what ship are you going to be on....maybe i can look into its iteniary for 2005.

For those that suggested a portion of the round the world tour, I hadn't thought about that....will look into it!

Thanks again,

Clay

Zebra - you are very knowledeable on the great places to visit in Cape Town. Have you been here often? I agree that the KrugerPark is amazing. We try to visit a different game viewing area annually. Madikwe (close to the Botswana border) is another recommendation and it is malaria free so you don't need to take any prophylactics.

High Desert - there is an excellent park in the Eastern Cape called Shamwari. This is much closer to Cape Town than Kruger and also malaria free. (This is where Tiger Woods got engaged). Check out this website:

http://www.wildlifeafrica.co.za/ttshamwari.html

Otherwise I agree with Zebra: stay in Cape Town and enjoy! And then come back another time!!

Mercury.. yes I was born in Cape Town and my family still live there. My husband was a game ranger in Pilanesberg National Park and also Wankie (now Hwange) in Zimbabwe. My parents lived in Kruger Park for 9 years and we have visited almost every year for the last 20 years. Although we now live in Florida, our "roots" and heritage are still there. Having lived in the bush for 25 years - we have a real affinity with the animals - we try and get back whenever we possibly can - splitting our time between the bush and Cape Town.

For whatever reason, I had difficulty finding the itineraries on the Residence web site...anyone else? It shows that they're in Afirca in December '04 but there's no link to hook you into that itinerary. ??

Oh well, probably too long a segment anyway. Besides, I'm looking futher ahead than '04. Thanks though!

Zebra, or others...

If you do a 3 night pre or post cruise safari trip to Krueger Park area from say Johannesburg , do they drive you this long distance or do you fly you into the reserve?

I can't imagine the cruiseships puting their guest in busses for such a long ride. Flying there is the only sane way to arrive IMO.

Thank you.

Hello All. Great help from you all...I will be sailing on HAL around the world. Cape Town is a port, as is Durbin. This is a dream trip for me, and I want to see as much as I can (giraffes, lions, no tigers). I was surprised to see that Malaria is a concern in that part of the world. Santa Fe, New Mexico has maybe three mosquitos per year. HAL offers an excursion to Sabi Sabi Game Reserve. What do you think?

Highdesert.... Sabi Sabi is a private game reserve in the Kruger National Park corridor. If you can do this - go for it!!!! Sabi Sabi is 5 star and awesome!!

Petlover....you should definitely do at least a 3 day pre or post to Kruger. Yes you can fly from either Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban into Mpumalanga airport which is about 45 minutes from the closest gate into the park. It's a 4 hour drive from Jhb to Kruger, in comparison to a 1 hour flight. The only thing to watch out for is the flight times. e.g. if you can only get an afternoon flight to Mpumalanga Airport (MPQ) then I would say rather drive early in the morning and get there late morning. Don't forget - you'll be driving on the left - but it's no big deal.

HighDesert, Yes you would have to fly to Mpumalanga Airport. Sabi Sabi is adjacent to Kruger National Park, just a few miles from Kruger Gate. See my original post for length of time to Kruger from Cape Town. If you have a few days pre or post this will be no problem, you can fly from the States to Johannesburg Airport and then a short 50 minute flight to Mpumalanga. Go to www.sabisabi.com for all the details.

Archived